Lightning

New Spark Plug News

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005 | 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by raider
Marc maybe I will send all the customers to you so you can explain to them that its ok to have this problem...we have seen tons trucks with this problem and there not to happy that they have to shell out a crap load of there own money to have this repair done...I dont see any other brands of cars coming into the shop for plugs blowing...so if someone wants to take legal action thats his choice....you are far from perfect yourself

Old 09-28-2005 | 09:25 PM
I agree its a *****y deal but how long should ford cover the plugs? Should they cover the balljoints, u joints, windshield wipers, etc... for ever too? Its pretty simple if you have warrenty then its covered, if you dont then its not.

Just like if a water pump goes after warrenty, should it be covered?

To put this into perspective my family bought 3 - 1999 trucks all had the pass side headgasket leak - no recall on that, one started to leak off of warrenty = still not covered. Not one has blown a plug so to me that gasket problem of 99 is more common than a plug blow out.

Last year a neighbour of mine went to ford and complained how his is 1992 ford was rusting and wanted ford to fix it, he got mad becuase they would not and ended up buying a 2004 dodge. Point is that some people think warrenty should never end, if you dont wish to worry about repairs only keep a vehilce until the warrenty is up.

Hmm. maybe the modle t should be recalled for a bouncy ride, i'm sure some laywer would jump on that design flaw.

The only reason I'm so negative about people complaining about warrenty running out is that in the end the costs gets spread to other consumers. I read my owners manual and knew first hand my warrenty ended at 3 years/60000 km, so its done, I had the option to buy extended but i did not. If I want the head gasket leak repaired I will have to payfor it. I don't feel others should have to pay for my repairs nor should I have to pay for there's.

Old 09-28-2005 | 10:20 PM
It would be interesting to see actual "statistics" on this problem to better understand the magnitude of it - something along the order of x number of vehicles sold with x number of plugs (stock plugs that have never been changed) launching. I wonder what the proportion of "launched plugs" versus total production sold - "really" is. And also relative to age and milage on vehicles. What "fires" or "damage" has it "really" caused? Does anybody "really" know?

I know Ford knows what their dealers report.

Old 09-29-2005 | 01:18 AM
L.V
"(Does anybody "really" know?)"

Probably never will.

I own 2 auto repair shops.
Each shop services ~ 3000 cars a year.
Unfortunately I can not give you a percentage of Ford V8's that come through, but they are pretty common.

To date this year from January, each shop has repaired only 2 actual spark plug blow outs for a total of 4 so far.

I know of 2 that were not repaired.

So that makes a total of 6 personally seen.

All 6 vehicles had previously replaced spark plugs and averaged 100k miles.

I know its not much to go off of, weak numbers to crunch, but this % is actually very small.

I do agree that the engineer that said, "4 threads easily passes the test" is probably the same one who designed the ball joints in F150 trucks. (and I thank him every week)

I do agree that 4 threads leaves no room for error, and opens a door for possible failure, poor engineering.

But the list can easily go on...............

Vince

Quick Reply: New Spark Plug News