Lightning

Recent Kills

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999 | 08:03 PM
|
Post Recent Kills

To All: I'll make it quick and short just like the kill I made today. I went out to grab some fast food on the way back home a corvette pulled up beside me an (old Fart) in a 85/86 Vette. I was in the wrong lane because it was ending in about 1/8 mile after the light (I do this on purpose to entice people, made many kills this way). My wife told me that the old fart wouldn't take the bait but she was wrong. He took off but got a real good look at SVTf150 emblem. I shutdown at 60 (speed limit 40) with about 3 car lengths. He then pulled over at the next gas station to pull his head out of his A--.

99.5 Red Lightning
Later,
Terry

[This message has been edited by asdeman (edited 12-16-1999).]

[This message has been edited by asdeman (edited 12-16-1999).]

Old 12-16-1999 | 08:17 PM
Careful about what you might think about the corvettes. The one you ran was not one of the hotter years. I've got a stock 96 LT1 (300 hp) w/the auto tranny, and no question the L's run better than my vette. The LT1 was produced in the vettes from 92-96, but the car you ran had the "TPI" motor. This motors claim to fame was it's excellent bottom end and midrange torque, but they were only rated at 230 hp, so they were not notorious for strong 1/4 mile times. Just a friendly note to be aware that your kill will not be as impressive if you run a 92-96 LT1, and beware of the 96 LT4 (330hp), this motor was only available w/a 6 speed. At my local track there was a stock LT4 and he consistently ran 4 tenths faster than me, which will put him right in about your ball park. P.S. I've got a red 00 Lightning on order, so don't think I'm just a corvette buff. Can't wait to get my L!!!!

------------------

Old 12-16-1999 | 08:26 PM
Peter's right, the '96 LT4 is a wolf in sheeps clothing, I know, I used to own one.

I never ran it at the track but I was able to run with a friends Viper through 2nd gear (he couldn't keep his tires planted). I also saw 168mph on the speedo running down I-35 between DeSoto and Waco, TX. It didn't handle like my friends 911 at triple digit speeds but it didn't cost like one either.

BTW, There's no way to tell from the outside but if you notice a '96 and it looks like he's working a manual then beware, I think all of the '96's with 6 speeds were LT4s.

------------------
Mark Whatman
mwhatman@worldnet.att.net
  • 99.5 White Lightning (stock)
  • 99 Buell S3 Thunderbolt (not stock!)
  • 98 F-150 Lariat (Flowmaster)
  • 96 26' Velocity Offshore Race Boat (far from stock!!!)

Old 12-16-1999 | 09:14 PM
Mark,

Yes, you are correct all the 96 corvettes w/a 6 speed were LT4's, that was the only year of the LT4 in a vette and the only tranny coupled to that motor in 96. And also correct, there are no visible differences externally from an LT1 or an LT4 until you lift the hood or look to see which tranny.

[This message has been edited by Peter B (edited 12-16-1999).]

Old 12-17-1999 | 12:53 AM
Hey guys i'm sure you are all famaliar with my infamous post about my run with a "Z", that has taken a life of its own on the FORDvsChevy board, well guess what happened tonight? Thats right another "Z", but this one WAS a turbo. I posted it on the other forum & just copied it here si it my read funny in the middle cuz it was directed @ the other forum. I smoked A 95(or whatever year that body
style is) "Z" TWIN TURBO tonight!!! After I sent him home with his turbo between his legs, all I could think about was posting the kill here. Was on my way home from shopping for Christmas, (long drive home, looking for any car to kill) when I saw a "Z" cutting through traffic behind me. Well it went by me in traffic but I wanted to race it so, I pulled in behind him, that is when i saw the twin turbo written on the back of the car "COOL". After following him through some traffic we got a red light next to each other. rev the engine 2x to show him I'm game. Light goes green we both take off, perfect launch on my part instantly get 1/2 car ahead through intersection. 2nd gear hit so hard the truck slips a little to the side, MAN I LOVE THIS TRUCK! By the time I hit 70 he is 3 cars back, let off gas as he goes sailing by me . Man what a rush! The poor car turnes @ the next light, hum I'll bet he was, becuz I was pullin up to him again at the next red light & I'll bet he didnt want to get waisted again! OH ya also smoked a Dodge quad cab or something, but that wasnt even a race my wifes Saturn could have beat it.

------------------
99' Black Bolt
PSP Filter
PSP Custom Chip
Clear Corner Lenses
SVT #3443

**Millions have seen Lightning
Few have ridden one**

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 12-17-1999).]

Old 12-17-1999 | 08:40 AM
Wink

A couple of years ago I had the 97 Cobra. A buddy of mine had the 96 LT4 Vette. We raced a couple of times and I could pull him by about a car and a half up until about 80 - 90 mph...at which point he blew by me for about 4 -5 car lengths up to 115 - 120 mph. Both were stock for a little while. Only thing I could figure was he had a higher gear than the stock 3.27 on the Cobra. He didn't seem to know much about cars except driving.

Old 12-17-1999 | 09:48 AM
99 Lightning,

Your assumption about the 96 LT4 that pulled your stang beig a taller gear than you is incorrect. The 6 speeds had a 3.42 rear end. But here's the deal, the LT4 is a pumped up LT1. GM put some very high flow heads (supposedly the highest flow heads that GM ever produced) with larger valves and light weight valves and springs (lots of titanium components and hollow stem valves), and a different cam and various other changes. That motor pulls all the way up to 6300 rpm. I have never driven one, or raced one with my LT1, but from what LT4 owners tell me, they say from the bottom end they pull like an LT1 but then the LT1 signs off shortly after 5000, but the LT4 at that point just starts to pull extremely hard. I've spoken with several LT4 owners who claim that in the 1/4 they can run with the 405 hp ZR-1 Vettes, but then the ZR-1 pulls harder past a 1/4 mile run.

Old 12-17-1999 | 10:17 AM
Cool

One of my most exciting "kills" on the track was against a Grand Sport 'Vette, which has the LT-4/six speed combo in it. That was in my somewhat slower days (pre-head swap) and so I didn't know what to expect. Heh.

I had him by about six cars at the traps, but to his credit it was obvious that aerodynamics and hp were working in his favor since he was visibly closing the gap.

I was pretty excited about it!

Later!
Jeff S.
SVT Lightning #74 in '95
11.92@115.2 on radials, 4600 lbs, driven daily http://nloc.org

Old 12-17-1999 | 03:34 PM
Due to the traffic here in Tampa, the opportunities to really hand someone their *** is few and far between. But....
I'm cruising down the highway, talking on the phone and some guy in a new BMW M3 pulls up next to me, squats and pulls away. (Probably imagining what he'll write when he posts a kill on some M3 message board). About a 1/4 mile up, the light turns yellow and he has to stop. I politely hang up
with my wife, who I know is going to bust my b**ls later and pull along side of him and almost immediately the light changed. I gave him a second or two to pull away and absolutely trashed him. Caught up to him
as the L hit second and almost jerked me out of my seat when it almost went sideways (GOD I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!). By third I was a couple of lengths ahead. At 100, he's so far back it wasn't funny. Pulled up to the next light and he turns left (probably didn't want to but didn't want a replay). Four hillbillies in a F150 lawncare truck pull up next to me and started hoopin' and hollarin', I assume in delight. They must have been behind us when we took off. They were as proud of my truck as I was.

Whew.... What a rush.

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, clear corners, tow package, cd changer, cover, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w subs. 5-channel 300w Clarion amp., etc. Build #2755
stbtb@Tampabay.rr.com

1999 Expedition XLT

Quick Reply: Recent Kills