Lightning

Great article Feb issue Muscle-stang

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999 | 08:29 AM
The Dynojet numbers may be corrected, but there is no way to account for the additional efficiency from the intercooler at lower temperatures. The intercooler is the key ingredient here! Decreasing the delta T across the supercharger can not be accounted for by the correction to 'standard day' conditions.

Bill, Thanks in advance (I would really enjoy meeting both you and BABolt) for getting some hard numbers.

If I may, one last comment that is a pet peeve of mine as far as testing goes; create a test plan and stick to it as best you can. I would assist you in creating the plan if you like. Let me know if you want to and we'll talk on the phone about the details.

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning,
SVT # 0052

Old 12-16-1999 | 09:22 AM
Bill,

That may be pretty close after taking into consideration the dyno corrections on my last set of pulls. The dyno reported 404.5 rwhp on the 80 hp shot. That wasn't peak, but the top of the flat part of the curve. I don't really look at peak numbers, as they are very misleading.

On a slightly different note, I had occassion yesterday to notice some pretty significant detonation probs at fairly low rpm, usually on kickdown from OD or 3rd.

I changed chip modes (switched to stock mode) and it got better, but it still did it. I removed the chip entirely and it all went away (I was running the Superchip at the time).

Temps were running in the mid-40's at the time and humidity was around 45%, both very low for around here at mid-afternoon. I believe the barometer was running fairly high as well (clear and cool).

Does anyone know if the F/A ratios (denser air, I know) or timing table is affected by significantly different environmentals to the point that the detonation could get that bad that quick? I haven't run the truck yet this morning so I don't know if it will still do it (28 degrees this morning, too darn cold for a Texas boy!).

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but after pulling off the chip, the truck was still running like it was in the performance mode (according to the patented Wyldman SOTP meter). This is a little puzzling to someone not used to dealing w/these kinds of conditions (at least not for 20 or so years).

I am hoping I have this figured out, because if I don't, then there may a dealer trip on the horizon. I really hate letting those butchers touch my baby!

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 13.16 @104.8
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 12-16-1999 | 07:07 PM
Really Old "Member"
I'll try to tiptoe through a potential minefield here, as I do not intend to start a Superchip vs PSP war, but consider this.

I would bet a few bucks that Collin's, Chuck's and my chip were amongst the first released, and just as with the vehicle itself, the lower VINs had a few teething problems.

In my case two things come to mind. When I dynoed the vehicle before and after the chip, and got 329 vs 303 horsepower, we did another set of runs with the chip in the normal settings. I never reported this, but the horsepower was almost exactly the same. The torque was also higher! This may account for the SOTP feelings you are getting in that maybe the chip has somehow been programmed to do some but not all of the performance enhancements even in the normal position. I really don't know.
The other issue is detonation, and since the weather turned milder to colder, I began to experience heavy detonation on what I describe in my own words as "transient" acceleration, Medium to fairly aggressive takeoff and then letting off on the throttle as desired speed is reached. This results in a real serious detonation at anything over 3000 revs.

In my case, I have just turned the flip switch to normal as of yesterday. I still get a lot of the SOTP "Chip" feeling, but the detonation seems to have disappeared.

My PSP chip arrived today, and as soon as I can organize it, I will install the full header to tip Bassani system, the PSP chip and the PSP filter. As stated earlier, we will make dyno runs before and after.

This takes nothing away from the Superchip, and I will send it back in for a look see by Superchips regarding the detonation problem.
After all, I do have a spare motor to use it on or to sell with it.

Bill

------------------
Bill Murray
99.5 Lightning
Oxford White
Bedrug/ARE LSII lid

Tow Package CD Player
Superchip
HobbyTownUSA Graphics
Identical 1/10 Scale Tamiya RC Truck incl. graphics.
Truck interest e-mail:
fastwhitey@myf150.com
4 heavy decals!
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 12-16-1999 | 10:19 PM
Bill
I will try to stop by on friday. I my self have had some detonation .On lite tip in OD, and once after **** . Then letting off to cruise. I belive that fuel companys have started using winter gas. Just the blower adding ,what other cars would not ever see.

------------------
99.5 Black Lighting
cd,tow pack,ford bed liner,wantto lower

[This message has been edited by William Mallo (edited 12-16-1999).]

Old 12-17-1999 | 12:15 AM
Didn't any one find it funny both HP&TQ peaked at the same RPM? Sounds like they are claiming the shift spike as peak power levels..more mag BS.

Old 12-17-1999 | 12:55 AM
Talking

Hey Wyldman,

I also noticed that my Superchip seems to run just as good in the #2 (stock)position as in #1 by the seat of the pants. In #1 it will detonate horribly without fail but in #2 in runs right at the limit, I thought that was supposed to be stock. BTW, I also have PSP filter installed. Oh well, just an observation. I really like the way the truck is running right now with no detonation because I have to drive the truck everyday in every kind of weather and use it to haul sometimes so I can't afford to have it pinging whenever I step on it out of the blue.

Later,

Collin

Old 12-17-1999 | 01:05 AM
|
Hey guys, I;m not sure if you read my post after I got Sals chipin, but Wyldman I have the EXACT same "pigning" noise you have. Lets say I am in a nice comfortable 40mph, truck is in 4th gear, If I give it a little gas, not to much so it doesnt down shift I get the detonation. Asked Sal about this, he said he could recalibrate his chip for me & send me another. I;m not sure if this is it, but all I have around here is oxygenated fuels, & acording to Sals info sheet on the chip we shouldnt run that type of gas. Whats in your area? If you guys getr anymore info about it tell me

Old 12-17-1999 | 04:07 PM
Yoda,

I run 93 octane or higher (racegas) at all times. The pinging I was getting was with the Superchip. Sal's chip is running fine in my truck. I haven't had time to swap them back yet, was going to do this weekend and see what's what. I'll let you know what I come up with. I'm thinking this is an environmental issue (or maybe just mental, I'm not sure) but the weather has changed again and I am still investigating.

Tune in tomorrow, same bat-time, same bat-channel....

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 13.16 @104.8
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 12-17-1999 | 07:35 PM
Im running a Superchip in mine w/o any problems. I havent had any detonation yet, but I've only been running Exxon 93, never tried any other brands of gas yet. I've been getting my gas about 20 miles south of Houston, so there may be a difference in fuel quality according to your location. Other than that I've been very pleased w/ the added performance from the chip. No matter what, there will always be "chip wars" between every one who builds chips for our trucks. Im really wondering how different or how similar theses different chip profiles are. In how I feel, everyones performance #'s at the track vary so much its kinda hard for me judge who's chip is actually better(most likely due to locations in the country). Put a PSP or superchip in the same truck they tested in MM&FF w/ the SHM chip, performance #'s may not be that far off. Who knows, like I said earlier.....there always will be "chip wars" going on in this message board!

David Sauls
white 99 #2895

Old 12-17-1999 | 08:27 PM
Talking

My .02 worth
The Tuner at Superchips that did the Sean Hyland Motorsport chip is the same one that did mine. Superchips works very close with some of the big names Steeda and Downs Ford. What I was really surprised about was that I was talking to the SHM guys(back in late August) quite a bit and I thought that he was going to be the first guy into the 12's with a Lightning. I guess that I was wrong. Now when you are talking chip makers Superchips and Mike Wesley ( the chip that Sal uses)I like them both. I have four vehicles and they are all chipped, two with Superchips and two with Wesley's. I cannot say a bad word about either. In fact I get compliments on how the vehicles run. But for my next trick I intend (read hope/wish) to use the FelPro DFI system. I wanted to use the EPEC but that was not going to be a cake walk (coil on plug can be a pain).I thing it would be really good to see dyno results from either Bill Murray or Wyldman (you could turn that Black Beast into a Batmobile, just add the gumball machine on top ) since they both have the Bassani exhaust, Sal's air filter and both chips.It could be very interesting.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 12-17-1999 | 08:58 PM
Really Old "Member"
BaBolt and the rest of the gang:

William Mallo and I have more or less come to an agreement to have him install the PSP chip/Airfilter Mod and Bassani exhaust on or around the first of January, assuming no Y2K compliance problems with the Dyno etc.

I will post the results, good, bad, or whatever as soon as we can.

Mallo is certified six ways to Sunday on the various boards that technicians have to pass nowadays, so I am sure it will be done right.
I am also bribing him a bit to do it as I want it.

Chuck, (Wyldman) will always beat me in particular as I do not want to go to Nitrous, but I think we can get to some pretty interesting numbers without getting too exotic. (Sorry Chuck).

Bill

------------------
Bill Murray
99.5 Lightning
Oxford White
Bedrug/ARE LSII lid

Tow Package CD Player
Superchip
HobbyTownUSA Graphics
Identical 1/10 Scale Tamiya RC Truck incl. graphics.
Truck interest e-mail:
fastwhitey@myf150.com
4 heavy decals!
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 12-17-1999 | 09:11 PM
Wink

Hey Bill.
That sounds great. I'm sure that all of us will be eager to hear your results. Good luck! Oh, by the way could you send me a photo or two of your truck to add to the next screen saver. Just e-mail to: mikesmotorsport.virtualave.net

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Quick Reply: Great article Feb issue Muscle-stang