Lightning

Great article Feb issue Muscle-stang

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999 | 08:22 AM
|
Thumbs up Great article Feb issue Muscle-stang

In the Feb issue I just got there is the Sean Hyland Motorsport build up with these: their chip, Mass-air-meter, & a custom exhaust. We all know about their chip & air meter, but they will be marketing an exhaust system also for it. In this article they had Dynomaox racing mufflers with 3 inch connections. Most everyone thought the mufflers were just too loud for every day drving, but SHM will be offering a quiter version also. What caught my attention was that Cervini's made a custom Lightning Mach 1 style hood with an extremly cool looking functional-ram-air intake system with dual panel HUGE K&N filters. Looks WAY cool in the pictures! Everyone should get this article. The rhwp of the SHM system 365 @5200, tq was 426 @ 5200. Pretty darn impressive (if those #'s arent fudged!). Anyways theycrew @ Muscle-Mustang & FF ran it @ the track results 13.40 @ 102.40. SHM said the truck went 14.30 stock. The cost of the mods a whopping $900. Hum glad I know Sal.

------------------
99' Black Bolt
PSP Filter
PSP Custom Chip
Clear Corner Lenses
SVT #3443

**Millions have seen Lightning
Few have ridden one**

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 12-15-1999).]

Old 12-15-1999 | 05:50 PM
Thumbs down

Personally I don't see the thrill. 13.40s from a chip, aftermarket meter and exhaust? That's a joke right? My truck and many others here are going faster than that with just the chip (be it mine or the superchip) and my filter kit!! And don't be fooled by that price. That price was the cost of them just welding different cats and mufflers in, not for a sellable system. I really have to admit that even though I think MM&FF is a great mag, they have never acknowleged either the NLOC or PowerSurgePerformance in the three years that I have been up and running. Kind of sad to me, that they withhold my products and knowlegde from fellow enthuisiasts. I have E-mailed them many times and have left recent messages on voice mail, trying to get any kind of response, but to no avail. I suppose they are praising SHM to high heavens since SHM just built the motor for thier project Cobra car. I bet you that if they weren't so buddy-buddy with SHM all of a sudden, they would have questioned those exagerrated dyno numbers after the poor results that followed. Sorry for the long winded, somewhat off topic response, just had to vent my feelings as a guy who is trying very hard to compete with these large companies and not getting any support from MM&FF. Maybe we could all send E-mails asking for a PSP article

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 12-15-1999 | 08:01 PM
Really Old "Member"
Cool

Hey Sal:

Make you a deal.

Your filter kit is sitting on my office desk, the Bassani exhaust system is sitting in my garage and I expect your chip tomorrow.

You pay for the installation of all of the above, I will have the Bolt dynoed and run it at the strip and compile all of the results in a professional package and Fed Ex it to MM&FF.

Guaranteed to get at least a side bar article and I will give all the credit to you.

Seems like a sweetheart deal to me.

Bill

------------------
Bill Murray
99.5 Lightning
Oxford White
Bedrug/ARE LSII lid

Tow Package CD Player
Superchip
HobbyTownUSA Graphics
Identical 1/10 Scale Tamiya RC Truck incl. graphics.
Truck interest e-mail:
fastwhitey@myf150.com
4 heavy decals!
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 12-15-1999 | 08:05 PM
Hey Sal,You`re right about the performance of that SHM L.I have come to realize over the years with the Mustang scene that MM&FF likes to have their asses kissed.The better you are at it the more publicity they will give.

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Downs Air Intake
B.F.Goodrich Drag T/A`s
Superchips
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date
13.064 @105.33

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

Old 12-15-1999 | 08:49 PM
Talking

Hey Sal and everyone else!
Again I would have to agree with pretty much what is being said. What I have found about Muscle Mustang is that they cater to the Custom Tuners (especially the one's that spend the bucks advertising in their Mag)and the cars that they turn out and if it's got "Glitz" they love it. I think they are missing a big opportunity with the Lightning scene. Hey who knows they may one day have their tails between their legs in the modular world. In regards to the Bill Murray deal (I don't know Bill) I would like to see you and maybe Bassani pop for his install and then let Bill run a full blown dyno test. Some good numbers generated at the grass roots level should wake up some of the "Magazine Morons" . When the 5.0 Mustang craze was getting started in late 1982 it never had a jump start like this. The interest that is generated at this board is unbelievable.
PS. I just had to add this. While I was typing this note I was adding a new CD-rom drive to my computer. Talking about Idiots and Morons I must be one too to type and work on this thing at the same time. Can you spell "short circuit".
------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

[This message has been edited by BABolt (edited 12-15-1999).]

Old 12-15-1999 | 10:33 PM
|
Hey Sal, in bed reading about the SHM install last night I just laughed @ the price, & thought what a bunch of morons. If they knew about PSP they (read mm&FF) can get some real #'s & a GREAT price! And that $845 was ONLY for the chip & air meter! yours a low $480 (less than the price of their chip alone). Anywho, thinking I should E-mail them about you (MM&FF), your prices & the performance people are getting. Sucks that they havent responded to any of your Letters. But I guess you are right, they have a responsibility to the advertisers <sp> who pay them money. Hum hopefully if enough of us E-mail them they will print an article about you co.

Old 12-15-1999 | 10:57 PM
Really Old "Member"
Hey BA Bolt:

Hopefully we will meet sometime.

There is probably no way Sal/Bassani will pay for my install, that was an inside joke, but I had already told Sal that I want to do a full dyno analysis with the three items I have purchased from him just to get some base line results. The 1/4 mile results may have to wait till spring, but we could extrapolate from the dyno readings at least a ball park estimate. I got 330 hp at the wheels in 95 degree weather in July with the Superchip, it was about 107 in the dyno bay, and I would bet we could see over 370 at the wheels given the present 45-55 degree weather down here. That would be about 90 or so over what I have been told a stock Bolt motor should give in decent weather conditions. Bearing in mind that the Bolt motor is possibly underated at 360 flywheel hp, that would slide rule out to almost 475 flywheel hp. While I purchased the full bore Bassani system, headers to tips, as well as the chip and filter and have somewhere in the range of $1800 in the deal, that still is not bad to get to that hp range I think. Plus, think of the sound, both blower and exhaust.

Bill Murray

------------------
Bill Murray
99.5 Lightning
Oxford White
Bedrug/ARE LSII lid

Tow Package CD Player
Superchip
HobbyTownUSA Graphics
Truck interest e-mail:
fastwhitey@myf150.com
4 heavy decals!
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 12-15-1999 | 11:04 PM
|
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH POWER NEED MORE POWER!!, makes my do strange things when Im by myself. DOH, sorry back to the corner for me

Old 12-15-1999 | 11:05 PM
|
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH POWER NEED MORE POWER!!, makes my do strange things when Im by myself. DOH, sorry back to the corner for me. Really, what ARE we getting @ the fly wheel (rough est.)

Old 12-16-1999 | 12:23 AM
Bill
Pay for me a chip+filter from sal. I'll put your parts on at the shop I work at . On my day off. LOL . I got a lightning modle from you store last night. Looks good , cann't wait to put toghter. Saw the fat 5.4 in back .Look good.

------------------
99.5 Black Lighting
cd,tow pack,ford bed liner,wantto lower

Old 12-16-1999 | 12:47 AM
Hey Yoda, Those results don`t sound impressive wouldn`t you agree?

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Downs Air Intake
B.F.Goodrich Drag T/A`s
Superchips
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
Tow package
CD changer

Best run to date
13.064 @105.33

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

Old 12-16-1999 | 02:06 AM
Sal,

As I mentioned yesterday, i got my headers and am just drooling to get 'em installed. But, the more I read about this, the more I am thinking new cats. Just how much do the Bassani replacements cost?

I'm gonna make that 500+ hp if it kills me!

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 13.16 @104.8
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 12-16-1999 | 06:09 AM
Bill Murray - Dynojet power numbers are corrected to standard temperature and pressure. Running at 55 degrees compared to 107 degrees will not result in more power as the numbers are corrected for temperature. At any rate, you have some pretty impressive power numbers on your truck!

------------------
HotRodSix
'98 STX Flairside 4.2L
Best 1/4: 16.26 sec. @ 84.4 mph
Dyno: 180 rwhp / 228 ft-lb

Old 12-16-1999 | 07:29 AM
Really Old "Member"
Hot Rod Six:

I stand corrected. I had forgotten the dynos corrected to a constant temp/humidity etc.
Also, I reread and wish to correct possible mis-interpretation of the target horsepower.
That would be with the exhaust/PSP Filter and PSP chip. In other words, 370 at the wheels with all mods installed.

William Mallo:

Sorry I missed you last night. If you are serious about installing all this stuff for the price of a chip and filter, contact me.
Be aware, however, that installing the complete exhaust is time consuming so you won't be "makin' money" on the deal.

Wyldman:

If I could just get over my uneasiness about Nitrous, I think 500 is in the bag with an 80 pound shot. I really believe I will see 370 with the three items I am installing. As a side note, the Bolt really loosened up after the trip to Texas and I now have 6K on her. BTW, my slide rule says 375 at the wheels should equal 500 at the flywheel. Agree?

Bill Murray

------------------
Bill Murray
99.5 Lightning
Oxford White
Bedrug/ARE LSII lid

Tow Package CD Player
Superchip
HobbyTownUSA Graphics
Truck interest e-mail:
fastwhitey@myf150.com
4 heavy decals!
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 12-16-1999 | 07:33 AM
|
What I wana know is how much hp SAl's filter-chip combo is puting out, both at-wheels & at-flywheel. Sal do you know?

Quick Reply: Great article Feb issue Muscle-stang