Lightning

Technical Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-1999 | 09:32 AM
|
Really Old "Member"
Question Technical Question

Since the weather finally turned seasonal here in Ga., I have noticed that my trannie does not shift into OD 4th for a couple of miles, until the temp gauge starts to register. Temp is in mid/low 30's to 40's when this happens.

I could probably find it in the owner's manual somewhere, but is this normal? The speed range is under 50 for this part of my commute, and in more temperate weather, it would go into OD at around 37/38 mph.

Just wondering.

------------------
Bill Murray
99.5 Lightning
Oxford White
Bedrug/ARE LSII lid

Tow Package CD Player
Superchip
HobbyTownUSA Graphics
Identical 1/10 Scale Tamiya RC Truck incl. graphics.
Truck interest e-mail:
fastwhitey@myf150.com
4 heavy decals!
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 12-19-1999 | 09:54 AM
Bill,

I have this situation all the time in cold weather with my XLT '99. When the outside temperature drops below 35 degrees or so the longer the shifts become until normal operating temperatures are achieved.

When everything gets to normal operating temeratures the shifts are fine and smoothe. The colder it gets here the longer the warmup of course.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 12-19-1999 | 11:55 AM
Bill:

Where did you graduate from high school in '57. I graduated from high school same year in good old hot rod town, Stockton, Calif, where I was a proud member of the Vagabound auto club. You know swinging the plaque from the rear bumper.

Sandy (Spider) Scott
skydive69@msn.com
99 White Lightning Stock, but probably soon to have Sal's stuff

Old 12-19-1999 | 01:03 PM
Exclamation

I was reading the Ford Expedition service manual and there is a cold weather strategy built into the computer to to help the engine warm up quicker by delaying the shift points. This happens when the outside temp is 25 deg. F or lower AND the engine temp is less than 100 deg.F at startup. It should return to normal operation once the coolent temp reaches 160 deg.F The temp setting may be slightly different for Lightnings. The computer is doing more things than we realize. :-)

Mike

[This message has been edited by ksmike (edited 12-19-1999).]

Old 12-19-1999 | 01:22 PM
I have noticed the same thing one time I left OD on. Normaly when engine is still cold. I leave OD off untill, I start getting heat from vents. Also if you pay very close attention. The converter does not lock up, untill engine temp comes up. One thing modern pcm's do, when cold is to increase the timing. Helps power(when cold),and helps get cat hot to start working. And pcm does a few other tings when cold. But all normal.

Old 12-19-1999 | 03:32 PM
Banned
I had a 97 f150 4.6 auto and even in warm weather whle the transmission was warming up my truck wouldnt shift into 3rd for at leat 1 mile, i thought it was strange.mine might of been broke though cause i used to make that baby chirp the tires all the time by really f!!@@@ with the shifter.that is hard to do with a extra cab 4.6 auto. but a slight jerk of the steering wheel while ramming the shifter up and down really makes strange things possible!!! around here its called gypsy style second gear chirp.

Old 12-19-1999 | 06:53 PM
|
Really Old "Member"
Evening all:

Thanks for the info. I figured that was what was causing the difference. Matter of fact, it seems this also causes the difference in idle speed after cold starts, where it stays at a higher rpm than when it was warmer.

I can now rest easy.

Bill

------------------
Bill Murray
99.5 Lightning
Oxford White
Bedrug/ARE LSII lid

Tow Package CD Player
Superchip
HobbyTownUSA Graphics
Identical 1/10 Scale Tamiya RC Truck incl. graphics.
Truck interest e-mail:
fastwhitey@myf150.com
4 heavy decals!
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 12-20-1999 | 11:50 AM
It also helps get the tranny fluid up to operating temperature and pumping. Like everyone else has said, it's perfectly normal (most vehicles with electronically controlled transmissions do it).

Later!
Jeff S.
SVT Lightning #74 in '95
11.92@115.2 on radials, driven daily

Quick Reply: Technical Question