Lightning

Truck is lowered!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-1999 | 08:54 PM
|
Post Truck is lowered!

YES!! I got my truck back from So-Cal Speed Shop today, it looks so much better now! Dropped 2.5" in the front and 3.5" in the rear, it has a very sporty stance. The installation looks as professional as from the factory, although many of the parts were custom made. In the Truckin' article they talked about reversing one of the leaf springs and bending the sway link bars. But since I wanted to be able to launch better, we didn't reverse the leaf spring we used lowering shackles and very trick adjustable sway link bars (all custom). While this is not the Roush kit, I must also say the difference in handling is like night and day. I was on the freeway, wondering why everyone was going so slow, turns out I was doing 90mph although it felt like 60. I'm also making turns that would rival any sports car. It's awesome! I don't know why Ford didn't do this from the start. From what I've read the Gen 1 Lightnings handled much better.

I'm also very happy with the Cal-Tracs traction bars. They are excellent quality pieces, and the best thing is that they are easy to adjust. I can preload the springs for track or unload them for street driving in minutes. They are fully adjustable, and it's awesome to see the way they adjust spring load.

WYLDMAN: the kit that I recieved was a perfect fit, and I can adjust the bars all the way so they touch the springs. There weren't any obstacles with installation other than the fact that they didn't supply any u-bolts.

I can't wait to go out to the track to test them out!

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler
Watter Wetter
Lo-Jack

Old 12-17-1999 | 11:42 PM
Hey Mike!
Post a photo.
I can tell you why Ford did not build it that way because they could not get them on the transport and here in Michigan they weren't sure that we would pay for the plow ($900.00 option). )

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 12-18-1999 | 01:09 PM
Brimstone, cool man think the Lightnings could stand a few more inchs when being dropped by SVT when they did theirdrop, but the only thing i wonder about is scrapping the chin of the L i have done that several times when going up ramps into parking lots and it drives me crazy haveing to see it, have goten it fixed 3 times not and each time it another 100 dollars down the hole. Also couls ya post a pic i would liek to see it =)

Old 12-19-1999 | 12:17 AM
how much monies (including installation price)???

Old 12-20-1999 | 08:49 PM
|
Hey guys, the total package cost me about $2000, including the Cal-Tracs and labor. You can purchase the lowering kit alone for 6 or $700. The Cal-Tracs were $340, so for my whole package I paid roughly $1000 for the parts and $1000 for the labor, and this includes coming back for balancing after the suspension settles in, and also a free 1,000 mile suspension tune up. You can check out www.so-calspeedshop.com to find out about the company, but I don't think the lowering kit is on there. Good service ain't cheap

Mike

P.S. We are looking into having custom drag shocks made for the Lightning as well.

[This message has been edited by BRIMSTONE (edited 12-20-1999).]

Quick Reply: Truck is lowered!