Lightning

Second truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-1999 | 08:51 PM
|
Question Second truck

Wanted to get everyone's input on something. Right now my L is my daily driver but I have found a great deal on a 91 Nissan truck. Would I be better not to get the truck and put alot of miles on the L or buy the Nissan.

------------------
99.5 F-150 SVT Red Lightning
SuperChip
Build Date 8-20-99
Build Number 3889 of 4000
Dual 40 Series Flowmasters
Window Tint
WetOkole Seat Covers

Old 12-22-1999 | 09:17 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I have a second truck, and it does not get any miles. I drove it for a few weeks while I was looking for studded tires. Driving the 2nd truck got old quick the first time I was cut off in traffic! That and I loooove the heater in this beast

PS Any of you guys/ladies have personalized plates? I'd get Z28ETR but I don't want to get keyed.

99 Black Lightning, 3,200 miles
66 White Chevy C-10

Old 12-22-1999 | 10:05 PM
Talking

Hey Redrocket, I notice you have Wet Okole seat covers. What color? Red & Black ? Any pics? I'm thinking of some & I wanna get an owners point of view.

------------------
98 F150 2WD,Bright Red, Regular Cab, 4.2, 3.55, 5 Speed, Superchip, 2 Superchip Decals (I Think They Add 5 HP Each), 3 Inch Bullseye Lift Spindles, Manik Grill Guard,Nerf Bars, Vent Visors,Air Box Mod, Fog Lights Mounted In Front Air Dam ,2 Kc DayLighters, Back Up Lights, Alpine CD Player, 2 Kenwood Amps, 10 Inch MTX Blue Thunder SubWoofer, Tinted Windows. And Coming Soon: 3 Inch Body Lift Kit, 16.5 x 9.75 American Racing Baja Wheels Wrapped With 35x12.5x16.5 BFG All Terrains

'00 Toyota Celica GT( Wife's Car )

Pics @ http://www.angelfire.com/la2/ccla/

Old 12-22-1999 | 10:33 PM
Tundra. I have SVT 99.

------------------
99.5 #2060 DOB 6-7-99
SuperChip
Downs Air Intake System
Bed Rug
Century hinged lid
6 disc changer
V 1

Old 12-22-1999 | 11:10 PM
Angry

NISSAN ? Buy American, the job you save may be your own !

------------------
99 Lightning Black Dk. Gray Bedrock spray in liner,
CDChanger, Class III Hitch,
PSP Filter,
ARE Cap,

Old 12-23-1999 | 12:53 AM
Ebolt,

Did you hear about the joint venture between Chevrolet and Honda. Chevrolet has agreed to supply engines to Honda and vise versa. At work I have a world automotive map showing all the ventures between all automakers worldwide, its pretty unfortunate how intertwined the worldwide auto market is. Ever heard of Ford/Jaguar/Mazda or how about Chrysler/Mercedes Benz. And think about the Lightning being manufactured in Canada. Unfortunately we as the consumer, as hard as we try to support the American product don't always succeed at the hands of the big CEO's lining their fat pockets and supporting the foreign market.

Old 12-23-1999 | 04:58 PM
redrocket - I kept my '93 Ranger, but that's cause I commute on So. Cal. freeways and don't want to rack up the mileage sitting in bumper-to-bumper.

Al

------------------
'99 White Lightning
#1583, 5/26/99
SuperChip, Snuglid, LineX bedliner

Old 12-23-1999 | 05:08 PM
My L is my daily commute vehicle precisely because I want to turn a dreary task (commuting) into a fun thing. Why not drive something that is fun to drive - life is too short. Besides, without the L, I would not have been able to blow the doors off a smart *** in a Pontiac GTX on the way home from work. (-:

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
99 White Lightning

Old 12-23-1999 | 08:10 PM
I hear ya, Spider! Feel the same way you do. Life IS too short! My Lightning turns my daily commute into a not nearly so dreary experience. I drive it every chance I get.

I'm not going to make the same mistake with my L as I did with my 1991 GMC Syclone. Sold the little Sy with just 26,000 miles on the clock to buy the Lightning. That's only around 3,500 miles per year. I loved the truck but was always hesitant to put miles on it for fear it would decrease its value.

A performance vehicle is meant to be driven and enjoyed and that's just exactly what I'm doing with the L. Have to admit, however, that if I'm going somewhere where I may have to park in a not too groovy area for an extended period of time, I tend to drive my '90 SHO instead.

------------------
Mike Philpott
Orlando, FL
'99.5 Black Lightning
SVT #2190 - Build Date 6/9/99
NLOC #361

6 CD Changer, Class 3 Hitch, A.R.E. LSII Lid, BedRug Liner, Invinca-Shield/3M Scotchcal protective film, Wyldman's Clear Lexan Fog Light Covers, 16% Window Tint, LoJack, Val-1 (Sal's PSP Chip & Air Filter Kit on order!!)

Old 12-23-1999 | 10:25 PM
I think the answer to that question depends on you.

If you want to keep the truck in as mint condition as possible and keep the resale value up then a daily driver would make sense.

Personally I live in an area where it snows and I don't want to get the L out in the snow and salt, so my 4x4 is my daily driver.

However, I do drive the wheels off my L when I get the chance. Like many have said they are made to drive and enjoy.

Also, you have to realize it is difficult to transition from the L to another vehicle. So you need to make sure it won't bother you to not have the perfomance and power when you are driving your other vehicle.

------------------
99 Red Lighting (Stock)
99 F150 Black 4x4 Sport Extended Cab K&N Filter

Old 12-23-1999 | 10:59 PM
Banned
This is the hardest question in the world.when i bought my lightning i wasnt going to drive it , iwas going to let it sit until i was 40. i figured i would drive it when i was getting more financially secured and i would relax and enjoy it more. but it is impossible to look at it every day and not want to drive it!!!!! i wanted to drive it like 1000 miles a year.IMPOSSIBLE. I put 2000 miles on it in twenty days . thats as long as the temp plate was good for.now its winter and i wouldnt drive it anyway. but im worried that come spring im gonna register it and drive the hell out of it.so for now it is hybernating in my driveway. all i do is wash it once a week. it has 2000 miles on it and i really dont want to drive it and put miles on it.it is good that we have winter up here cause i dont think if it was nice out all the time i could resist.but i am going to try to put 1000 miles a year. ive only got 5 months of good weather so its easier for me to not drive it.we all wish we had two . one to drive and one to look at!!

Old 12-23-1999 | 11:09 PM
|
Well, I did buy the Nissan. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Now I will have more time to polish on my L and I will NOT have to drive it in the rain. YES !!!

------------------
99.5 F-150 SVT Red Lightning
SuperChip
Build Date 8-20-99
Build Number 3889 of 4000
Dual 40 Series Flowmasters
Window Tint
WetOkole Seat Covers

Old 12-24-1999 | 12:13 AM
I'm much happier with NOT having to put excess wear and tear on my L through daily driving. I have TOO much fun driving the L sometimes and I think a daily driver keeps me from getting a ticket a day. I still take the L when I go out or even just to run errands on weekends. Also you will be surprised how many nicks and scratches you pick up just from commuting and parking next to careless people.

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler
So-Cal Lowering Kit; Cal-Tracs traction bars
Watter Wetter
Lo-Jack

Quick Reply: Second truck