Lightning

How about the new 285hp YELLoW silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-1999 | 02:48 PM
Wink

if you put an s-trim blower on your ls-1, are you obligated to use the stock hood. if i had the amount of customers screaming for a blower, like these guys are, i'd come up with a hood to go with it. it's obvious they don't care what is looks like, ie: 99 z-28

Old 12-24-1999 | 02:51 PM
Cool

I'm going to be FMOS's cut man here. I believe what he stated is basically correct. High compression engines do not benefit near as much from the addition of a supercharger as do lower compression engines. The rest is hair splitting.

BBQ

Kick-off time is just around the corner. Still feel like the Saints are going to do it today?

Merry Christmas!

------------------
1999 Black Roush-Lowered Lightning - w/Super Chip (YEEEOW!), JBA Headers, F-1 Cobra hood, Power Surge air kit, CD Changer, Towing Package,Grey Rhino, clear corner lenses.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 12-24-1999).]

Old 12-24-1999 | 03:19 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
I allways wondered what you guys at the top of the food chain talked about. Interesting to say the least.

Merry Christmass

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
SmittyBilt Nerfs, Borla Cat Back
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube,
Superchips

Old 12-24-1999 | 03:48 PM
Smile

hey 6, you are going to have to tell me.
we are 2-12 and haven't seen a home game in 4 years. i have 4 season tickets that i only give to deadbeat customers (so they will get their stuff elsewere) got to sell 80k tickets in the superdome to get blackout lifted, so i will have to make a prediction:

da boys 2
da saints 3 (5yard fg hits both uprights b4 bouncing in, late in 1st qtr, proves to be game winner)

i kinna went out on a limb w/that one
MERRY CHRISTMAS, i hope you all get to see a decent game.

Old 12-24-1999 | 03:59 PM
Hmmm I must say I disagree with the subject of a high compression motor not benifiting from forced induction as a low compression motor. First , a higher compression motor does not need to run as much boost to obtain the same hp level as a low compression motor. Second,a higher compression motor will respond a lot better than the low compression motor. Granted if we are talking about reliability a low compression motor is the way to go for safety. There has always been a big debate on this for the past 7 years. Thru the years we have seen higher compression motors outperforming the lower compression motors at the track ,not saying they lasted all that long but performance wise they have been. For the street a slightly higher compression ratio with a conservative amount of boost will give best all around performance. No sacrifice in low end and awesome power at the top. Now if we are talking about turbos vs. superchargers we have another subject. Now about slapping a blower on a chevy.... put an accell dfi unit on it ,put the blower on it and start mapping away. As long as the motor will handle the power bring up the boost ,pull the timing back as boost goes up and run c16 fuel....get ready for a ride!!!
yehaw
seb

Old 12-24-1999 | 04:56 PM
Sorry BBQ, I guess I wasn't totally clear on what I meant by "Wouldn't fit under the hood". Take a look at these pics, and you'll see what I mean. Look at the little baby blower on this thing, and look at the lack of available room. What a joke.

As for the comments on boost on a higher compression motor, you are right that given the same boost, the higher compression motor will see greater results if it isn't detonating and if the intake charge is kept cool. My comment was directed more to the fact that you can run more boost, more reliably, with a lower CR. I have seen 8.0 or 8.5 GN motors running over 25 psi of boost. Try that on a motor that is over 10:1. The initial 1.5 difference in CR won't come near to making up what the extra boost does in horsepower.

As for the LS1 motor, I doubt that it could even manage 12 psi with it's stock compression ratio. Granted, for the boost levels that are produced from the stock turbo and supercharger kits, it does fine, but imagine what one that had 8.5:1 CR with 17 psi would do.

[This message has been edited by Typhoon (edited 12-24-1999).]

Old 12-26-1999 | 09:51 PM
Typhoon,

You're correct, both of the cars I saw were running the smaller compressor. Also, Geoff Skinner (Thunder Racing) told me about the Incon kit when I ran this discussion thread past him, informing me that they were GUARANTEEING 450+ rwhp with stock internals.

Of course, the LS1 has great reciprocating pieces and a fabulous bottom end on the block - it's just the thin liners and super-light aluminum construction that make it so power-adder averse.

N2O, you're so correct, but I think we were sticking pretty close to production EFI engines on pump gas.

Later!
Jeff S.
SVT Lightning #74 in '95
11.92@115.2 on radials, driven daily
http://nloc.org

Old 12-26-1999 | 10:22 PM
Wink

I have a dream, Every Motor should hold up to dual power-adders...
I've seen so many 5.0L Fords running stock internals with daul power adders, granted the nitrous was mostly for intercooling.
I'm just waiting for someone to put a wet-port nitrous system on a Lightning, don't know if the bottom-end will hold up to that, or it would package reasonable, but it would be cool.

Old 12-26-1999 | 10:35 PM
|
Banned
if some of us have rapping stock lower ends then i hate to see what nitrous will do, oh boy im getting scared about all the 2nd motors and now 3rd!!!!!!! come on this IS a problem. they have been testing this truck for years and they didnt see this ??????

Quick Reply: How about the new 285hp YELLoW silverado