Lightning

I have Play in the Steering wheel HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005 | 03:22 PM
|
I have Play in the Steering wheel HELP!

Please don't tell me it is my Steering box going bad.

I was thinking I got something from ford a year or two ago about checking the ball joints. It's not making any noises or anything, but couldn't bad Ball joints cause a little play in the steering?
My truck has 29,000 miles on it but it's a 1999.

I can move the steering a little bit without any resistance.

Anyone else experience this?

Old 10-07-2005 | 03:43 PM
i have that also with 60,000 on mine and mine is a 00. I would like to know if there is a way to tighten mine up also

Old 10-07-2005 | 05:14 PM
It's prolly your pittman arm .... They wear out and they do induce sloppiness.

Old 10-08-2005 | 09:38 AM
|
I haven't had a chance to climb under there yet to take a look.

I don't think it is the ball joints, as I don't hear any noises when going over bumps. The only thing I have is the "clunk" occassionally.

Could it be the steering box?

Old 10-08-2005 | 10:07 AM
yeah i have the same issue. there is dead spot while steering. other than that the steering has always had some play. im making an appointment to have the ball joints and tie rod ends checked along with a front end allignment.

81k on my 99.

Old 10-08-2005 | 11:30 AM
You need to check the following

Pitman Arm
Idler Arm
Tie rod ends

If any of these components are excessively worn it will cause play in the steering wheel. You also would want to check in u-joints in the column itself. There is a possibility of the excessive play coming from the steering gear box. More likely the above components would fail first.

Old 10-09-2005 | 11:51 AM
|
Originally Posted by 2000L
You need to check the following

Pitman Arm
Idler Arm
Tie rod ends

If any of these components are excessively worn it will cause play in the steering wheel. You also would want to check in u-joints in the column itself. There is a possibility of the excessive play coming from the steering gear box. More likely the above components would fail first.

Thank you! I'll check them out today and report back

Old 10-09-2005 | 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Please don't tell me it is my Steering box going bad.

I was thinking I got something from ford a year or two ago about checking the ball joints. It's not making any noises or anything, but couldn't bad Ball joints cause a little play in the steering?
My truck has 29,000 miles on it but it's a 1999.

I can move the steering a little bit without any resistance.

Anyone else experience this?
Hello,I had this exact same problem on my 99 F150 Lariat,I went nuts checking everything that I could think of and had all suspension and steering components checked professionally.I finally found that the lower steering shaft where the shaft clamps onto the steering box is made of aluminun and the splines had gone away the pinch bolt that goes through the clamping part of the lower shaft was all that was holding on to the splined shaft comeing out of the steering box.Have some one slightly turn the steering wheel from side to side inside the range of the "play" you will probably see the steering wheel shaft move but not the steering box shaft.I replaced this shaft(the lower steering shaft)and directly after that my truck had back the high quality feel that it had been lacking.cheers

Old 10-09-2005 | 12:49 PM
|
Huh,
I removed the lower shaft to install my bassani headers a few months ago, but it slid right back onto the splines, but the bolt was very tight when I put it back in. Had to use force the entire way.... maybe that's the culprit.

Originally Posted by wingmancrf
Hello,I had this exact same problem on my 99 F150 Lariat,I went nuts checking everything that I could think of and had all suspension and steering components checked professionally.I finally found that the lower steering shaft where the shaft clamps onto the steering box is made of aluminun and the splines had gone away the pinch bolt that goes through the clamping part of the lower shaft was all that was holding on to the splined shaft comeing out of the steering box.Have some one slightly turn the steering wheel from side to side inside the range of the "play" you will probably see the steering wheel shaft move but not the steering box shaft.I replaced this shaft(the lower steering shaft)and directly after that my truck had back the high quality feel that it had been lacking.cheers

Old 10-09-2005 | 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by wingmancrf
Wingman, I just found the exact same thing on my HD this weekend. What did the stealership get for replacing it?

Old 10-10-2005 | 10:53 AM
|
UPDATE:

That is EXACTLY what it was.

I climbed under the front and had my Girlfriend turn the wheel back and forth, put the flashlight on it and sure enough, there was the shaft turning and the steering box not moving. I couldn't see that well, so I put my finger and could feel the shaft turning but the sterring box gear wasn't. Looked at my finger and it had powered metal on it.
I could pull on the shaft and it came out about 1/2". (no smart a$$ comments needed) and was being held in by the retaining bolt.

Called the dealership today and they quoted me $95.00.

I'm going to take it off first and verify that is exactly the problem.

What part do you get? Is it just the universal joint and the gear or is the lower part of the shaft included also?
Any Tricks to putting it back together or taking it apart?

Old 01-20-2008 | 02:12 PM
loose steering....

my truck is haveing the same problem. its a 99 but i have 105,000 miles on it. i just replaced the idler arm and all the ball joints which helped a lot. but i still gotta replace the tie rods and if that still doesnt help then im goin for the gear box and possibly the pitman arm. they say that the pitman arm almost never goes out though. and on the 99 f150s you cant go in and adjust the worm gear or anything as far as i know. its driveing me mad. that and when i hit bumps theres like a chatter when the suspension is rebounding and im not sure whats causeing that yet. any ideas?

Old 01-21-2008 | 06:11 AM
Another thing to check is the play in the steering box it self if you get an shop manual there is a way to adjust the tension on the worm gear ball. You will see a nut and a screw head in the top of the box. Just make sure you use the right specs and follow the instructions. Just another place to check especially on higher millage trucks. Artie

Old 01-21-2008 | 05:14 PM
I think 'Sandman' needs a bigger signature...

Old 02-11-2008 | 09:28 PM
Cool really??

well when i get a better payin job and the busta (my fiancee) lets me actually spend my money then my signature will be huuuuge! maybe i should go riggin

Originally Posted by Struck in AZ
I think 'Sandman' needs a bigger signature...

Quick Reply: I have Play in the Steering wheel HELP!