Lightning

New Dyno #'s are looking better, Thanks Sal

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005 | 01:02 PM
Congrats on better #'s Rob!

You can definitely tell your heads are hurting you - your HP drops off a lot after it peaks in the 4500RPM range...

Old 10-12-2005 | 01:22 PM
Rob, with nitrous your right up there with the big boys. and off nitrous your torque is up there anyways, thats a boatload of torque. I'd be happy with those results as long as its driving good and theres no other issues.

Old 10-12-2005 | 01:47 PM
Rob you mentioned it many times but Sal really does deserve a lot of credit. As someone in the aftermarket performance market I can appreciate Sals willingness to get you sorted out. From reading the boards for a few years it seems Sal is a great tuner and had his hands tied on what the hell was wrong with your truck. It takes a toll on you when you know the power and performance should be there and it's not for whatever odd reasons.

I'm sure you have a lot of relieved stress yourself.

Now I get to panic until I see what you do on nitrous.

Old 10-12-2005 | 02:45 PM
congrats on sorting it out. im glad when i see things working out for people nice numbers

Old 10-12-2005 | 02:58 PM
Nice to hear good news at last. Good numbers btw and about what was expected imo. I would like to know what unlocked the extra hp as we know an efan is a nice touch(especially at the track) but not responsible for that big a gain. I bet the SCT Maf is a better way to tune than the extender, but the numbers should'nt be that drastic. What else was uncovered?
Jim

Old 10-12-2005 | 03:51 PM
|
Thanks again All

(Ya D me too, I wish it was next Friday and this was behind me )
and BTW, Sal does deserve Credit

Top Gun (Jim)
I know this will sound weird but what ended up really playing a part believe it or not was changing the Denso's out for NGK BR7's....
I had e-mailed Sal and asked him to change the Denso's out for NGK's because the Denso's def dont take to well to Nitrous. And with me spraying a large amount I really didnt want to make one pass and have cracked porc.

So he installed the Fan, the Maf, and made some passes on the Denso's.
We did show noticable improvement over the old numbers, but then decided to do just that and swap them out for BR-7's. I was not there for the final Dyno's, but when I got there last night the truck was still on the Dyno and Sal had an overlay of the Denso Dyno on top of the NGK Dyno. Strangely enough the SOB picked up like 10/10 on the NGK's alone ??? Add to that help from the Elec Fan, maybe a little help in better response from the Big Air Maf, and a little diff approach in tuning from Sal (high timing down low, low timing up high), and here we are...

Old 10-12-2005 | 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Ct.TOPGUN
Nice to hear good news at last. Good numbers btw and about what was expected imo. I would like to know what unlocked the extra hp as we know an efan is a nice touch(especially at the track) but not responsible for that big a gain. I bet the SCT Maf is a better way to tune than the extender, but the numbers should'nt be that drastic. What else was uncovered?
Jim
The Electric fan I would have to say is what actually picked up the power. When the factory fan engages it adds load to the motor and does hurt power and torque. We have seen 15 + HP to the tire from the fan and water pump.

JimIII

Old 10-12-2005 | 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by ByByBird
All I need is you're full exhaust, 8# lower and built lower end!

You're gonna have to buy the whole truck to get it.

Old 10-12-2005 | 07:17 PM
|
WHAT ELSE AINT YOU TELLING ME JIM, come on spill the beans....

It does appear the increase was mostly fan related. We have used the BR7's many times before, I think maybe the increase we saw with the NGK's was more telling me IT24's were maybe a tad too cold. Plus the plug increase may have been more like 5-7 HP / TQ, I was so got dam excited seeeing the 470/615 I cant tell you for sure, hehehehe, but it was "easily noticable". The main thing now is with a little C16, a few more degrees of timing, a little tweak here and there, and I'm right where I belong FINALLY
WHO KNOWS MAYBE I'M ALREADY THERE NOW....

Jim,
You and your Father, Charles, "all the Mag Brothers" have helped me one way or another, AND I THANK ALL OF YOU I picked a lot of brains, I asked a lot of questions, and god knows Sal's tried everything. The good part is things that werent working before, seemed to have started working now, (for example hi timing down low, lower timing up hi). Sals known of that trick, and I've watched him try it numerous times before on my truck with no luck. But now all of a sudden it's working, so just maybe the new injectors, new maf, new tune, and the BR7's are just what the Doctor ordered

Old 10-12-2005 | 07:39 PM
rob, congrats on your new numbers , that looks real good ! sal did a excellent job on my truck , im glad to see he fixed you up! see you at jdm day ,

Old 10-12-2005 | 08:00 PM
I am happy for you brother I know you have earned it!

God Bless,

Suavy

Old 10-12-2005 | 08:21 PM
SAAAAAAAAAWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! I though i seen Sal waving his wand under your hood yesterday. I only wish i was there to see it dyno. Thats always a great sight. So when you gonna hit it on the dyno with the juice? That i dont wanna miss! Hopefully we'll be kickin some JLO azz on JDM day. I think im gonna make that one now that its been moved to next friday. Let me know when yoiur leaving and we can caravan there together. I think Tom (Halflife) wants in too. Maybe Josh will brimg his slow azz too if he aint crying poverty.lol...

Jason

Old 10-12-2005 | 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
WHAT ELSE AINT YOU TELLING ME JIM, come on spill the beans....

It does appear the increase was mostly fan related. We have used the BR7's many times before, I think maybe the increase we saw with the NGK's was more telling me IT24's were maybe a tad too cold. Plus the plug increase may have been more like 5-7 HP / TQ, I was so got dam excited seeeing the 470/615 I cant tell you for sure, hehehehe, but it was "easily noticable". The main thing now is with a little C16, a few more degrees of timing, a little tweak here and there, and I'm right where I belong FINALLY
WHO KNOWS MAYBE I'M ALREADY THERE NOW....

Jim,
You and your Father, Charles, "all the Mag Brothers" have helped me one way or another, AND I THANK ALL OF YOU I picked a lot of brains, I asked a lot of questions, and god knows Sal's tried everything. The good part is things that werent working before, seemed to have started working now, (for example hi timing down low, lower timing up hi). Sals known of that trick, and I've watched him try it numerous times before on my truck with no luck. But now all of a sudden it's working, so just maybe the new injectors, new maf, new tune, and the BR7's are just what the Doctor ordered
I really think that the new setup is going to work good for you, that air fuel is something to be desired by all. Sal has definatly put a kick A$$ tune on the truck. The BR7s are going to love the spray, we run them in all our nitrous trucks. Im sure Sal told you but when you put the C16 in the truck dont drive it on the street like that because you will have some more plug problems, that stuff will glaze them over under normal driving conditions. I for one cant wait to see your truck lay down some good numbers at JDM day. Actually the other day I was taking a video of V's truck on the dyno and didnt realize that I was tapeing over JDM day 2003, Well right after the video of the dyno pull I see your truck pull into the burn out box, do a burn out and then make a 11.81 run. When your truck launched it looked like all 4 wheels tried to come off the ground, pretty cool looking. Then I hear in the back ground Gators voice " aw hell now I gotta go get my truck" Just reminded me of JDM days past and all the fun.....Cant wait to see you next Friday man!

JimIII

Old 10-12-2005 | 09:03 PM
Hey Rob, congrats on your numbers, oh and, IM COMIN FOR YA!!!!!! 500/600... IT WOULD BE A GOOD ONE YOU AND I... just like at the NMRA...

Old 10-12-2005 | 09:05 PM
Fan

I dropped a solid 2 tenths on my ET by changing to a efan and s/b throttle body. I was pretty surprised.

I give credit to Sal for sticking with it and helping Rob get the truck straightened out. I know this was a "budget" buildup but still. With the money Rob spent, would you really expect a guy like Sal to say oh, tough ****, your on your own. He did the motor and the tuning and problem solving comes with it. He didn't have these problems before the changes so obviously something changed somewhere. I went through f'n hell with my truck just by putting headers on it. It was unreal. I swear if i didn't toss my original system it would be back on. I had Jim redyno tune me on the SCT software and he was able to fix it. The extreme lean and rich crap is what I was seeing and it never did it before i did the headers. Talk about off the wall fuel trims. I brought it to a dealer I know and one of their top diagnostic guys looked at it and was horrified. He said this was a screwy enough problem to try to fix but where everything has been modified, it's would be impossible for him to figure it out in a reasonable about of time.

Glad things are getting better. For some reason, i'm still not sold on the valve springs being the issue but with the juice you plan on running, i'm sure it's worth replaceing rather than floating valves.

Quick Reply: New Dyno #'s are looking better, Thanks Sal