Lightning

i may be a L owner on monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i may be a L owner on monday

whats going on im very new to the boards but ive been shooting around the idea about getting a lightning and if everything goes right ill be a owner on monday im trying to get a 00 with 45k miles for 15k$ and some change but like i said i am very new so what are some things to look out for with these trucks?

how well is the engine built (ive herd its a forged motor from the factory?)
this is probably a stupid question but how bad is the L in the snow?
and what are the specs? ive googled it but i find 3 diffrent answers. 340,360,380
all with the torque of 450

what are some good first mods to do? the truck is bone stock

im used to driving my dodge stealth twin turbo but ive been eyeing the L for quite some time and decided i need a truck to play with

heres the auto trader ad i think i can post this if not ill take it down
click me

thanks alot

chris

Last edited by twizzler93tt; 10-17-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:33 AM
good luck and congrats if things go thru. Link below should give you a good overview:
http://www.mdsonline.ca/f150g2hist.htm
1. engine is rock solid if cared for accordingly (but issues with plugs pre-'03 AND internals are "weak" when you start putting out serious HP)
2. with a "lightweight" rear end, Ls are particlarly bad in the snow (or rain)
4. mods I did to my '01 (I chose to be "safe & conservative"):
FTVB (tranny), 4-lb crank pulley coupled with a good dyno & tune (used a Predator tuner), K&N FIPK, JBA shorty headers & maggie silver bullets.

I think the posted hp/torque figures are at the crank (less at rear wheel)

Last edited by kromdom; 10-17-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twizzler93tt
<Snip>...how well is the engine built (ive herd its a forged motor from the factory?)...<Snip>
The connecting rods and pistons will have to be replaced if you try to take the rear-wheel horsepower above 450 or so. Some folks say more, others less, but everyone knows they are the weak link on these trucks.

<Snip>...and what are the specs? ive googled it but i find 3 diffrent answers. 340,360,380 all with the torque of 450...<Snip>
99 & 00 - 360 HP, crankshaft
01 & up - 380 HP, crankshaft

<Snip>...what are some good first mods to do? the truck is bone stock...<Snip>
Tranny cooler and valve body, pulley, chip & dyno tune. After that, traction bars. From there, how big is your wallet ??

Of course, there are lots of mods you can add - read the forums here, map out you goals and purchase accordingly. Whatever you do, find yourself a good tuner - that will prove to be the single most important factor to the longevity (and power output) of your truck.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. If you stay long, you will have a bunch of cash removed from your accounts !!!

Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 AM
well things did go threw but i turned down the truck i decided that i wanted a newer one i test drove a 04 and about fell in love lol so im going to save up some cash and wait for one of them to come along..

thanks for the welcome

chris

Old 10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
well things did go threw but i turned down the truck i decided that i wanted a newer one i test drove a 04 and about fell in love lol so im going to save up some cash and wait for one of them to come along..

thanks for the welcome

chris
You're better off buying a newer truck. I was about to buy a 00 but didn't like it (it was poorly taken car of) but couldn't afford a newer one at the time. Had to wait an extra year but found a 03 with 1,175 miles on the OD. The wait for one you're 100% satisfied with will be worth the wait. Goodluck.

Quick Reply: i may be a L owner on monday