Lightning

What do you know about Sean Hyland Built Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005 | 06:35 PM
|
What do you know about Sean Hyland Built Engines?

I was thinking about buying one of his Built long blocks w\ 2770 cams and ported heads... Does anyone have one of these engines in their trucks?? If so, how do you like it? Do they build a good 5.4L Lightning motor??
Thanks

PS, I am debating between Sean Hyland and Johnny Lightning... I am buying it tomorrow!

Old 10-17-2005 | 06:56 PM
Jlp

Old 10-17-2005 | 07:08 PM
do a search for the name and u'll get your answer.......LOTS of nightmare stories from what i've read

Old 10-17-2005 | 07:31 PM
|
I couldn't find any Sean Hyland problems, that is why I posted?? So JLP is the way to go then..

Old 10-17-2005 | 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by koopdaddy
I couldn't find any Sean Hyland problems, that is why I posted?? So JLP is the way to go then..

Sean Hylands motor was the worst sounding piece I've ever heard in my life. You will think your truck is a diesel from the piston slap. The last one I heard didn't last two months and they were in court last I heard as SHM would not stand behind it. No way for any amount of money.

Jody

Old 10-17-2005 | 08:11 PM
Save yourself time and money and don't buy one of his engines. MY SHM engine lasted about 30 seconds on first startup and broke the the cam keys out and got all out of time , i then put stock cams in got it running after 75 miles it sounded like a powerstroke diesel. wrist pins were shot on 3 cylinders because they used cheap wristpins that weren't polished ,stock wrist pins have way more of a polish then these had it just ate the pistons up. If your heart is set on a new built go with one of the big 3or5 names out there. One of the best ford engine builders in Phoenix and close to home , he is the one that fixed my engine and would recommend him ,Brian Duffee www.duffeemotorsports.com. I just got done installing 2 weeks ago ,my repaired SHM, new cp pistons ,crank rebalanced, with flywheel and harmonic bal. basically a total rebuild , ported and flowed heads, by Duffee bigger valves, comp cams. engine is super quiet, only noise i hear are the belts whirring around. I am very pleased with his work, he has a total machine shop and can do anything you want , pays allot of attention to details. I have a stock lightning engine for sale has only 9000 miles on it ,I was going back totally stock because of the frustrations ,but decided to give it one more shot. Make an excellent built motor , standard bore. Email me at skainrath@hotmail.com for more info. Oh yeah SHM still owes me about $2500

Last edited by AZBLACKMONSOON; 10-17-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2005 | 09:08 PM
VT engines?

Old 10-17-2005 | 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by koopdaddy
I was thinking about buying one of his Built long blocks w\ 2770 cams and ported heads... Does anyone have one of these engines in their trucks?? If so, how do you like it? Do they build a good 5.4L Lightning motor??
Thanks

PS, I am debating between Sean Hyland and Johnny Lightning... I am buying it tomorrow!
I'm happy with my JLP block,so far so good and nice and quiet. I believe hes got a special on it now. Probably best bang for the buck out there.

Old 10-18-2005 | 12:59 AM
I've heard so many horror story's about Sean Hyland. Outrageous prices, and the guy never stands behind his work/products. JLP is a better option. I've heard great things about VT Engines. Mostly from 03/04 Cobra guys though.

Old 10-18-2005 | 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
VT engines?

If you can wait 6 months! I talked to them and even drove to Lansing to speak to them. I wanted some stuff done and they said the were booked up until the winter and this was in the begining of summer.

Peace,

Suavy

Old 10-18-2005 | 10:39 AM
VT is worth the wait.

SHM builds **** motors. Stay away from them!

joe

Old 10-18-2005 | 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
VT engines?
Not if it was my money again

Check out Fox Lake if you don't want to go with one of the Lightning vendors; I've heard problems out of most of the vendors at one time or another. Which it's just part of the speed industry really.

Old 10-18-2005 | 11:23 AM
FYI, I thought I read somewhere that SHM had a 6.0 mod block. Read it in a magazine, 5.0 or something. Buy a block and have someone else build it? But I have heard a lot of cursing over the years here about SHM's service and product.

DOOM

Quick Reply: What do you know about Sean Hyland Built Engines?