Lightning

If you do nothing else to your Bolt, "Filter" It!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Mark, I'm happy to hear that the timing was perfect on your toys. Now you can leave on your trip with an extra large smile. It sounds like you are quite pleased. I hope I am as happy in the end as you are. I was going to go that way, but I could not get my questions answered by Sal, and being impatient by nature, I ordered what was immdediately available to me. Hopefully, it will not turn out to be a bad decision. Of course if you out run me, I will have to change the installation. (-:

I will be at Superchips at 10:00 tomorrow, and have the rest of the day off. My only plans are to get in for an oil change and tire rotation at Action Gator tires on 436 at Piedmont Wekiva road. BTW, my work number is 345-0511 if you want to connect on something.

BaBolt: I'll try to get a good picture of the Airaid installation this weekend that I can post.

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
99 White Lightning #2091 DOB 6-8-99
Coming soon: Airaid air box & Superchip to be installed directly at the factory on Jan 7th

Old 01-06-2000, 11:19 PM
Thumbs up

Bill: I agree 1000%. My PSP filter kit was here when I got home from work. Put it in and took it for a spin. Before the filter, mine would roast the tires, and then when it hit second, it would drop just enough boost/rpm to let the tires stick. Now, the tires don't stand a snowballs chance in...

We all know these trucks are torque animals, but with the additional airflow, it's an awesome improvement. Part throttle will just make you shake your head with amazement.

With the factory equipment, I originally noticed some improvement when I removed that short rubber tube from the stock airbox to the innerfender (approx 2psi with the factory gauge).

Installing the PSP filter was like doing this 3 times over. How much boost did I gain with the PSP filter? Dunno. Only had time for one quick shakedown run, and during that one, I couldn't take my eyes off the road because the truck was never pointed straight. I hit it from a 15 mph roll, and finally gave up about 6-7 seconds later when the nose didn't want to stay at a 10 o'clock heading and ground speed was well over 40 mph...geez!

Chalk me up as another satisfied customer. Great product Sal. You _definately_ hit a home run with it.

Bill; BTW, nice talking with you the other day. Will be back in touch in a few more; thanks for the time!

------------------
Roger Walker
Black 99.5 #1469
Built: 20-May-99
NLOC: 0307

[This message has been edited by roger (edited 01-06-2000).]

Old 01-06-2000, 11:50 PM
Roger,

Any mods other than the filter? Did you get Sal's chip also?

Has anyone heard from Sal? I'm gittin' anxious!

Brian

Old 01-07-2000, 12:13 AM
Banned
Ok, does anybody know if the Blower whine is as loud with downs as sals.I would like to hear from downs owners about the improved noise. OK OOK OK It is 30degrees out and i am going to put on the downs air intake tomorrow, then take it for a QUICK spin around the block.I cant help myself after you all talking about the improvements . Even if it sounds better its woRth the cheap$139.If it really does wake it up then even better. dont expect any real information from me tommorrow.My lightning has 1997 base model steel wheels and 75 series tires on it while my wheels are being chromed.It is not even driveable without burning the tires. Im more interested with the sound right now. Ill test performance in april/may. I CANT WAIT TIL SPRING!!!!!!!!!. i GUESS ILL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SOUND TOMORROW. i WOULD LIKE A DOWNS OWNER TO TELL ME SOME INFORMATION BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP THOUGH. SO I CAN HAVE SWEET DREAMS.

Old 01-07-2000, 06:20 AM
Cool

Hey Badasssvt who is chroming your wheels. Scott

Old 01-07-2000, 09:35 AM
Banned
I do not know who is actually doing the chroming.I dropped them off to NEW ENGLAND WHEELS AND WHEELCOVERS. It is costing me $150 a wheel for the 3 stage process. And then i am still waiting for the tire rack to send my centers.That should be a while though they told me 5 weeks.Let me tell you all , I rang up a big phone bill calling ALL across the country to have my center caps done . Nobody chromes plastic WOW. I was also quoted up to $300. per wheel too. There was only one place i could send my wheels in New England.If you want to start a buisness come to the n.e. and start a chroming buisness, youll make millions

Old 01-07-2000, 07:39 PM
Thumbs up

LightningDammit:
As far as other mods go, just an 'old' (circa Aug/Sept 99) Superchip which is in the 'stock' (1) setting. I read somewhere around here they recently updated it, so I need to send it back and have it brought up to current standards.

I've had trouble running it in the performance mode ("2"), it bounces off the rev limiter, so I just run it (for now) in the stock setting.

To superchips defense, I've never spoken to them about any problems (yet). I need to do that pretty soon so I can get it updated before the weather becomes nice. When you work a 50+ hour week you budget your free time carefully...

------------------
Roger Walker
Black 99.5 #1469
Built: 20-May-99
NLOC: 0307

Old 01-08-2000, 02:26 AM
Thumbs up

Received my PSP filter on Tuesday (thanks Sal), installed today in 30 min. Put the tools back in the roll-away, climbed in, started up, and went to a section of Sepulveda Bl.,(PCH)here in Redondo Beach near my house that is slight uphill, slight curve to the right, empty... floored it...
JEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!! almost felt like downhill in a parking structure! The filter is only good for 10 hp? Seat-O-Pants ometer sez 20, easy. Hearing the Eaton breath so easily is an awe inducing sound; kinda cool helping/watching these machines reach their potential. The filter is a great place to begin mods, and Sal makes a great product.
Saturday update: S/C winds up more quickly, 10# by 3000 rpm and WAY off scale by 4000. Need an accurate boost gauge, but maybe 13-14#?

[img]//www.mindspring.com/~ewhutch/wl.jpg[/img]

------------------
99.5 White Lightning.
#3299, Built 8/5;
Snuglid, Bedrug, PSP filter, window tint(limo back, 70% sides).

[This message has been edited by Steve Bopp (edited 01-08-2000).]

Quick Reply: If you do nothing else to your Bolt, "Filter" It!!