WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WOO HOO @ Don Bolts and whateverthefukconvertor you have
Glad to hear it's working out Bro,

Old 10-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
WOO HOO @ Don Bolts and whateverthefukconvertor you have
LMFAO!!

Just call it the mystery torque converter or the area 51 converter. Sounds better.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
2 questions:

1. How long will a stock "Navigator" convertor that was designed to hold up to what 300ftlbs torque last in Don's Beast that is putting out over twice that amount? Will that even be an issue?

2. Wasn't there 2 different torque convertor's used in the navigator?
XL7Z902AARM -
and
XL3Z7902BARM -

These were from a 2000 Navigator. I haven't a CLUE what the difference is.

hehe I guess we will find out how long it will last

I am having the PI rebuilt so I will have a spare

Old 10-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Good luck this weekend Don, go kick some *** my brother...
Jim is always coming up with great ideas, if he only had the time to act on 5 percent of them everyone would be driving 9 and 10 second Lightnings...
I am going to be down at Englishtown Saturday Racing the V, hope to run into some of the Family on here while I am in Jersey...

Bill

Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by l-menace
2 questions:

1. How long will a stock "Navigator" convertor that was designed to hold up to what 300ftlbs torque last in Don's Beast that is putting out over twice that amount? Will that even be an issue?

2. Wasn't there 2 different torque convertor's used in the navigator?
XL7Z902AARM -
and
XL3Z7902BARM -

These were from a 2000 Navigator. I haven't a CLUE what the difference is.

Questoin 1, not long. It's a single plate converter, and while I think a single plate is fine, I mean a single plate with an upgraded clutch, the stock material does not hold up well witha lot of torque or heat, both of which it will get in a moderately modded Lightning, the reason we got the 6.8L version to begin with is that engineering studies determined that a bone stock lightning would toast a single plate model with what amounts to paper clutches (using an oversized HCC clutch gives you a lot of room to mod, though) I do like that a single plate doesn't fill the fluid with little divots of the stamped coverplate from the 3 disc splined cover, and has fewer parts to break, but with a stock clutch in it, it's just not enough.

There were indeed two different variations, the AA I listed and the updated BA. Strangely enough, in 1999 the Lightnings DID have a unique converter different from the 6.8L version. The difference betwqeen them is the 99 Ls had the 6 bolt cover,the 6.8L model still only had 4 for at least part of the model year. The difference between the YL3Z-AA and the YL3Z-BA is the new piston and damper with full ring spring design (and the 6.8L got this too, in 2000) You cannot buy the AA design anymore, so don't worry about geting the "wrong one" a dealer can pull it up, but when the order is processed the old part number is superceded by the new one.
Still, my point is, the Navi converter, no matter what year it is, will not fit a Lightning unless you change to the weaker flexplate, or re-cover the converter, and if you do that, there are much better converters to do it to than the Navi model, especially if you change the clutch material.
If the one you have is indeed a Ford stock part, and it has 6 bolts, it has to be either a 7.3L model, a 6.8L model (which was the stock model from the factory) or a 6.0L model from a Torqueshift, all of which are either stock stall speed or lower. (the 4R100 models are both 110K and the 6.0L is a 95K). The only difference between a diesel 4R100 and a V-10/Lightning model is the spring rate in the damper, which really wouldn't affect stall speed. The 5R110 converter has a LOWER stall than stock, but that could be what he's done. Some vendors just hang the parts and go with it, without understanding what they're doing. Anyone who knows what they're about sees how ridiculous it is, but since most people don't, they get away with it. Oil separators or $89 line mod valves anyone?
Just think, before you run out to do this, that Ford rejected using this converter in bone stock lightnings at least in part because they didn't want to warranty it with a single clutch and 4 bolts. It cost a lot of money (relatively) to put the bigger parts in stock trucks, and I can tell you from long experience that Ford tends not to do that when they don't think they have to.

Last edited by Factory_Tech; 10-28-2005 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gregg, Thank you for sharing you expertise.

Rich

Old 10-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I agree Rich. You can't get any more detailed and specific than that.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:49 PM
It's nice to have you back posting regularly Gregg.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Well Maybee Jim with chime in, as I was told this is a 2 clutch design not a single one like Greg has stated. I know Jim wouldn't sell me anything that won't hold up for me, as he knows how I use my truck. I am sure he doesn't want one of his customers having problems.

So maybee there is indeed a converter Greg is not aware off

Old 10-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Quiz:

What's wrong with these tranny parts.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by LTNBOLT
Quiz:

What's wrong with these tranny parts.

[MG]http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightningpage/Images/ODClutches.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightningpage/Images/ForwardClutches.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightningpage/Images/AllClutches.jpg[/IMG]

The 32 splined kevlar clutch plate in picture number 2 (3rd cogged clutch piece below the uppermost) was pressed in Taiwan on a 12 Ton Pneumatic press, vs. the normal 16 ton Hafferty-Randal Pneumatic Press. This could deviate maximum torque application as much as -12% from mean due to incorrect particle spread in the kevlar/magnesium weave employed in the intermediate clutch pack.

Good thing you spotted it too. That could of really messed your tranny up

P.S. Is that what it he means by "monster in a Box?"
I kid, I kid. Gregg, WELCOME BACK!!! AND THANKS FOR THE VERY INFORMATIVE POST!

Old 10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Anybody else.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Look like used(damaged) frictions and steels from an overhaul to me. Old filter and misc soft parts as well. -Mat-

Old 10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Mat,

You got it. I would say that's the overdrive steels that had the worst of it. Plenty of material on all the clutches and everything else in decent shape. I wish the pics showed more detail.

Would you say that tranny really needed to be rebuilt?

Old 10-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by typhoon43
The 32 splined kevlar clutch plate in picture number 2 (3rd cogged clutch piece below the uppermost) was pressed in Taiwan on a 12 Ton Pneumatic press, vs. the normal 16 ton Hafferty-Randal Pneumatic Press. This could deviate maximum torque application as much as -12% from mean due to incorrect particle spread in the kevlar/magnesium weave employed in the intermediate clutch pack.

Good thing you spotted it too. That could of really messed your tranny up

P.S. Is that what it he means by "monster in a Box?"
I kid, I kid. Gregg, WELCOME BACK!!! AND THANKS FOR THE VERY INFORMATIVE POST!
LOL, where do you come up with this???

Quick Reply: Bye Bye PI Torque converter Hello Navigator Converter