Lightning

Bye Bye PI Torque converter Hello Navigator Converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LTNBOLT
"For power, Aviator stocks an aluminum V8 engine that displaces 4.6 liters and puts out 302 hp. To translate that power into force at the wheels, there's a five-speed automatic transmission with a high stall-speed torque converter. Curtain-style side air bags are in place and will deploy if sensors detect rollover movement of the vehicle."

The above qoute came from one of many magazines saying the same thing about the Aviator converter. Do a Google search for yourself. That is why I mentioned it early in this thread. It was then said that nothing stalled higher than the Lightning converter yet the Lightning is never mentioned to have a high stall converter. That's because it doesn't.

Actually what I said is no 6 bolt converter stalled any higher than the Lightning, and none do. All 6 bolt converters are 110K, it's on the sheet I posted. The aviator has a 4 bolt converter, and I'm not sure but I think they all have 4R70W transmissions, too. I can check that out, the sheets are donwstairs and I'm just not in the mood to go digging through them at 2 AM.

G

Old 11-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim@JDM
I was leaving the line at 1700, it is a factory production convertor, it was built for a limited production navigator.
I spoke with a former Navigator program manager after yesterday. There was no limited production Navi, at least not in the way Ford uses the phrase.

That's a fact that I can back up.

FYI

Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really want to get involve in the pissing match, BUT I do have some experiance with Navigators, being I'm a former Lincoln tech. I have pulled many motors out of Navis, and I have never seen one with a 6 bolt convertor. Every one I've pulled was a 4 bolt. Now, I left the dealer in 01, so I personally pulled motors from 98s to 01s. So I stopped by there this morning to pick up some parts, and while there I had my parts guy look up the part numbers for every year from 98 to present, and there is only one unit shown for each year. My buddy who still works there just pulled a motor out of an 05 yesterday, and it also has a 4 bolt. So that's my experiance on the situation, take it for what it's worth.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
You're a liar; no, you're a liar.....

There's Pandimonium in the ring, chaos in the streets. Family fueds are great, break out the dirty laundry......

Yall have talked about converters, transmissions, golden gloves, golden tongues, liars, build sheets, Navigators, lightnings, ford manufacturing plants, work histories, who's happy and who's not, family illness, 1 clutch design, 2 clutch design, pictures of old cluthes, free valve bodies, failing transmissions, Cheerleaders, cat kicking and several refferences to a sheep.

This may qualify as the ultimate thread for information. Transmissions to cat kicking, you can find it all right here. You gotta see the humor....

Although I am looking for a good converter with a 2000-2200 stall and really dont want to offend anyone. I guess I'll just keep lookin'.....

I have enjoyed the good reading material.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
I had my parts guy look up the part numbers for every year from 98 to present, and there is only one unit shown for each year. My buddy who still works there just pulled a motor out of an 05 yesterday, and it also has a 4 bolt. So that's my experiance on the situation, take it for what it's worth.
"And Sal comes out with a hard right cross! That's gotta sting a little Bob. You got that right Larry!"

What I'm finding ironic is that these pissing matches actually seem to turn out to be the most informative since all the dealers jump in and get dirty in one thread. Just like the "too much boost" post from Rob02.

I love all you guys regardless

Last edited by typhoon43; 11-01-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:52 PM
hahah

just stopped by to see if we were still kicking the **** out of the poor horse.

I see we are.

Carry on then......hahaha.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HI!... All I know is it is "TUESDAY" and it's about 5:00P.M here. SO WHERE'S THE DAM PART #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... All I know is it is "TUESDAY" and it's about 5:00P.M here. SO WHERE'S THE DAM PART #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it was up your azz you'd know it!
Why don't you call and ask him? While your at it, ask him if he can show you his tuning secrets, and get some cam specs from him.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by whip
Why don't you call and ask him? While your at it, ask him if he can show you his tuning secrets, and get some cam specs from him.

LOL good one

Old 11-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by adrenalinowner
Would that be 7

Adrenalinowner
Where I'm from 1+4+1=6, not 7, **** bag!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by whip
Do you think that a factory Ford mass produced part number is the same thing as cam specs and tuning secrets? It's the NJ crew that always slobbers about whats best for the "Lightning community" and "Lightning brotherhood." Why not post a simple part number, so that the Lightning community brotherhood family team coagulation gathering group association of people with the same pickup can go to their local junkyard/dealership/parts guy and order this marvel of Ford factory greatness. A mass produced hunk of union steel is no more a secret than asking Jim for the part number of a stock throttle body.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HI!... "Whip" If I wanted to know his tuning secrets (that actually work) I would ask the real tuner that makes them for him. As for his tuning, I'd rather have my dog tune my truck. We all know JIM lies about everything. I just LUV watching him get caught and try squirming out of it. Still waiting for this super duper special, magic converter PART # ????? Next he'll tell us, that he knows how they get the caramel in the CARAMILK bars! LOL!

Last edited by Neal; 11-01-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

i was reading this post just for the info and it seems that Gregg it just trying to let everyone know that they shouldnt go out and buy a navi converter and expect it to fit. all Jim has to say is that it was not a stock navi converter and that is the end of it. at least thats how i see it.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Okay everybody I just got back from Georgia, I have been away from the shop for the last 4 days. I will call my contacts at the Lavonia Transmission plant tommorow to find out if the convertor still has a good part number. I only recieved 4 of these convertors 3 years ago. I was told that the convertors were for a production run of navigators that were going to the middle east, I believe Saudi Arabia, im not sure. The navigator was a limited edition for them, it had arabic writing on the seats, and heavey duty everything in it. It came down the assembly line and Roush wound up doing the convertor and trans swap and some suspension modifications. I never said I would sell them or that these convertors were available, I did Don a favor by letting him get the one I had in my 01 Lightning. The others I will not sell because I have future plans for them in my vehicles.

I would have posted this earlier but as i said before I was away for the last 4 days. Ford like any other car company does limited production vehicles and alot of the parts are outsourced to other companys because they are such a small quantity run. I will check into it, find out the K factor and the source of the torque convertor.

Jim@JDM

Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Bye Bye PI Torque converter Hello Navigator Converter

I have read this thread from the very first post . Evreybody bashing Jim and JDM not once waiting to see what JIM had to say. Maybe you should have waited for all the facts before you rush to judge. ALL YOU JDM HATERS CAN GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM !!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Bye Bye PI Torque converter Hello Navigator Converter