Lightning

Day at the Drags1

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2000 | 06:10 PM
|
Thumbs up Day at the Drags1

Well just got back from Speedworld, along with JoeLightning, JRW, Zonaman, & Peter B (thx 4 the brainbucket!!!!). Just wanted to say to these guys it was a pleasure to meet you. Well down to the #'s, made 4 passes today. Traction was alright until I made the last pass (you'l see the 60').
1st : 2nd : 3rd : 4th
rt .300 : lost : .257 : .393
60' 2.526 : time : 2.258 : 2.057
330 6.290 : slip : 5.931 : 5.712
660 9.302 : out : 8.925 : 8.721
MPH(660)82.020 : window: 82.353 : 81.997

ET 14.120 : 13.800 : 13.719 : 13.545
MPH 101.580 : 102.?? : 102.148 : 101.345

Well there you go!! just a chip & filter. stock tire pressure temp 66-68 degr (wish it was in the 40-50's). sparetire (on), hitch (on) .
BTW I was on my way home & I knew there was another Lightning that lives about 2 blocks away from me but never had the chance to stop by. Well as I was drving by I saw the owner out pulling something from the bed, so I stopped by to say hi. Well his name is Wes (very nice gentleman) & guess what??? He was pulling some Mickey Thompson ET slicks that he uses at guess where?? You bet @ Speedworld, he was going to go today but his son had told him that it was closed today, boy was he when I told him where I had just come from. Guess what he has the FULL Bassini exhaust, man does that thing ROAR!!!!!! It sounds so damn mean, I WANT IT! Anyways other than that he is bone stock. I told him about F150 online & about Sals chip/filter. He will be getting it.
Also I mentioned that he runs MT et slicks, he has them mounted on 16x10 rims. They are 26' tall (forgot the exact dimensions) but he has run them like 2x @ speedworld & pulls 1.9 -1.8 60' times. not bad.
oh ya he also has cal trac bars
Well I wrote alot, I am not going to spell check so sorry for the errors.

------------------
99' SVT Black Bolt #3443
330.0 cid All Blown

Engine Mods
PSP Filter
PSP Custom Chip

Other Mods
Clear Corner Lenses
Painted Calipers
Autometer Boost & Air/Fuel ratio Guages

**Ya it HURTS when you get struck**

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 01-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 01-08-2000).]

Old 01-08-2000 | 06:12 PM
13.5 is a good run! You ran the stock tires right?

Old 01-08-2000 | 11:10 PM
YODA...We had a great time at the track today.I think the guy you met today is the guy I was telling about that bought his truck just for racing.Ask him about a red 98 Mustang Cobra that almost took him out mid track on his first day out.
Thanks to Yoda,JoeLightning,Peter B.,and Zonaman for a fun day at the track.
Jim W.

------------------
99.5 WHITE LIGHTNING
SNUGLID,W/BEDRUG
SUPERCHIP
PSP FILTER KIT
13.54@102MPH

Old 01-08-2000 | 11:19 PM
|
Well he didnt buy it just for racing he drives it a lot he said. But I will ask him the next time I see him. BTW his is Black, same color as the one you saw?

Old 01-09-2000 | 12:57 AM
Good to see all those Lightnings and meet some fellow drivers. There were so many White Lightnings I managed to get in the wrong truck .. TWICE! I picked up several good tips from JoeLighting who works hard to make any modifications they way they should be done (e.g. zip ties, aircraft grade bolts and screws, etc.) Yoda's instrument pack looked very good and really makes the ****pit something special. I have also decided that Sal's intake/filter has some touches I like better than the Down's. I drove home through some of the finest twisties in Arizona, making up for my poor showing of a 14.4 (bone stock and excess slipping on launch). Didn't see any moose on the trip and had a long sleeve shirt in case I was stranded (just kidding Tundra).

Old 01-09-2000 | 11:10 AM
Thumbs up

Excellent day at the track. It was great meeting Yoda, Joelightning, and JRW67. Zonaman, didn't get a chance to speak w/you w/all the excitement and photos and video, hope to in the future.

Ok, so for all you hard core Lightning guys, here are the humble results of my 96 LT1 corvette runs. (My LT1 has the hypertech, 160 thermostat, and elimination of the coolant line to throttle boddy, 3.07 gears w/auto, other than that all stock).
I was the 1st vehicle to run at the track that morning, therefore, 1st run was severely traction limited to a 15.164 w/30 psi tire.
2nd run was immediately following and again traction limited to a 14.85.
3rd run I dropped tire pressure to 25 psi and rolled on the throttle off the line for a 14.111.
Last run of the day was next to JRW67 (he has a chip and filter), it was an excellent run, we both lauched together and here are the results:

JRW67, PeterB
Reaction: .247, .154
60': 2.149, 2.143
330': 5.797, 5.942
660': 8.778, 9.041
mph 660: 83.031, 78.306
ET: 13.54, 13.973
MPH: 102.712, 99.78

It seemed like we were very close for maybe a 1/3 of the way down the track and then when the aerodynamics of the L started working against him, he started pulling me (roughly 2-3 lengths at the traps).

There were two LS1 camaros, one ran 13.7's the other low 14's.

So, in closing, I absolutely cannot wait to get my Lightning in!! It's gonna be a long wait.

Sorry for the long post.

------------------
00 Red L on order.
98 Red Dodge V10 4X4 quad cab.
96 Yellow Corvette LT1.
92 Aquamarine Supra Turbo.
99 Arctic Cat ZR440 sno pro.
98 Polaris Super Sport 488.
97 Seadoo HX.
96 Polaris SLX w/PSI triple pipes.
97 Banshee completely tricked.
96 Polaris Scrambler.
87 Polaris Indy 600 SKS w/SLP 707 full mod.

[This message has been edited by Peter B (edited 01-09-2000).]

Old 01-09-2000 | 07:59 PM
I had a GREAT time yesterday! I didn’t get a ‘best ever’ run like the rest of you, but it still was a productive day. Breakfast was a perfect start. I enjoyed all of my conversations with each one you. It was fun to compare vehicles (you all now know what the cowl cover screws look like)…. and I thought it was funny that the three out of four that had made performance mods, all had the same ones…. a chip (Superchip’s or Sal’s) and Sal’s filter. Without this website I don’t think that would have ever happened.

For those following the Speedworld post, my secret weapon Yoda was worried about was the addition of two 7" diameter fans added to the intercooler radiator. I custom fabricated a frame (believe it or not out of electrical conduit) that supports the two fans and uses existing holes in the radiator support bracket for mounting. The entire assembly weighs about 7 pounds. I ran a power wire from an open maxi-fuse location (fused with a 20amp maxi-fuse) in the engine fuse box (EFB) to a rocker switch that I flush mounted into the bottom of the fuse panel cover in the cab. Unless you bend down quite a bit you can’t see the switch when it’s in the off position however its within perfect reach sitting at the wheel. Using the empty relay holes in the EFB I mounted two female spade clips and wired them to a second rocker switch next to the fan switch. Then with two small jumpers to the power side of the water pump relay from my new clips I could also control the intercooler water pump from the cab. All the wiring was housed in OEM style wire harness covers to complete the stealth installation. The fans were obtained from scouring the local motorcycle recycle yards. The perfect fit comes from a CBR 600F2, although looking at my own CBR1000F appears to use the same fan. I used a 2 wire weatherpak connector (obtained from NAPA) at the fan bracket so I could completely remove the assembly in less than 5 minutes and no one would be the wiser.

Between runs I left the fans and water pump running to maintain at least an ambient temperature. My best run of the day was a 13.810 @ 101.40 mph with a horrible 2.236 60’ time. Not my best run ever, but close.

Yoda,
Great gage pod! You finally beat me… and by quite a bit. I NEED to go on a diet and learn how to make those quick launches.

Peter,
Beautiful LT1. You have one nice ride. Congradulations on you new BEST TIME! I also enjoyed meeting your friend Dave.

Zonaman,
Thanks for the kind words about my mods. I appreciate the fact that you drove all the way down to meet us.

JRW67,
I really liked the SnugLid and BedRug combo. It finishes off the truck just right. I definitely be doing that sometime this year. And your wife was a pleasure to meet.

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning,
SVT # 0052

Old 01-09-2000 | 09:24 PM
|
Hey Joel, my Lightning just dropped about 100lbs. Now it looks like yours from the rear

Old 01-11-2000 | 10:42 PM
Question

JoeLightning,

How much do you think the intercooler fans will help? I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I know others have also done this mod. Any noticable results?

------------------
99 Red Lightning #1784 DOB 5-31-99
Superchip, PSP Filter
JBA Headers (not installed yet)
Best ET - 13.297 @ 101.77
Best MPH - 102.51

Old 01-12-2000 | 08:45 AM
RedBolt,
I don't have any temperature data yet so I can't comment on how long it takes to stabilize the water between runs. I expect the overall difference to be better as the ambient temperatures increase. I have not found the trick to launch these trucks consistently with the stock tires. However, the data point that is of most directly related to horsepower is MPH and there does appear to be a positive trend here. My three runs Saturday had an average of 101.273mph where the temperature was 60 ~ 65F and a density altitude of 1200+ feet. My best nights average of four runs without the fans was 101.667mph were the temperature was 50 ~ 55F with a density altitude of ~600ft. The runs with the fans were more consistent as the standard deviation went from 1.111 without the fans to 0.336 with the fans. I made all my runs with the fans on. The performance balance is the alternator is sucking horsepower to operate the fans, but the fans , however small it may be, do block some flow. By keeping the fans on during the run I'm minimizing the delta P across the radiator that has increased because the fans are blocking flow.

For me it was a fun project and I do believe it can’t hurt. It is definitely not the best bang for the buck as my total investment including fans, wiring, switches, and hardware was $108 (even the junks yard don’t give away things any more as the fans were $40 each). I already have the filter kit which I believe is the best value for the money.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning,
SVT # 0052

Quick Reply: Day at the Drags1