Lightning

AiR LiFtS???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000 | 07:16 PM
|
Banned
Question AiR LiFtS???

does anyone have air lifts on there lightning? do u recommend them? and how much will they cost? is it worth the trouble?

ThAnKs,

LoCo X

------------------
1997 F150 Lariat supercab; two 12 inch mtx 7000 subs and 700 what amp; cherrybombs and alot of chicks...lol
Goal in life: is to own a Lightning

Old 01-13-2000 | 07:52 PM
I'm not sure Air-Lifts work on leaf springs. The ones I put on my TBird are cylindrical bags that fit inside the coils in the IRS. I may be wrong, so don't take this as gospel.

Just telling what I know...

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 13.16 @104.8
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 01-15-2000 | 12:24 AM
Smile

Locox,

You CAN get air lifts for pretty much any truck. Getting them for the Lightning should be no trouble at all; however, they are primarily used to balance truck bed height when carrying a heavy load. If you're planning on doing that, staying under the Lightning's 800 lb. limit shouldn't require the lifts anyway.

Old 01-17-2000 | 01:49 PM
Question

I too, am interested in air lifts. I would like to buy an 00 lightning, but the towing cap. is 5000 lbs. My boat and trailer weigh closer to 6000 than 5000. I figured the reduced cap. was due to the shorter suspension travel, and that air lifts might take care of the problem. However, the SVT rep. told me that it was also due to the low aspect ratio tires. So, I am wondering whether getting another set of rear wheels with taller tires, and/or air lifts, would take care of that extra 1000 lbs. Any opinions?

Old 01-17-2000 | 02:03 PM
Check out this thread on towing with the Lightning.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000276.html

The most I have towed with the Lightning was about 3000 Lbs and it was perfectly happy doing 90mph in overdrive.

Old 01-17-2000 | 05:47 PM
Talking

LoCoX
What is your reason for air bags on the Lightning. Do you want the lower the Lightning (further) and use the air bags for attitude adjustment. If that is the case then yes you can do it. Yes, Air Lift make a kit that will work on the Lightning with a remote mount pump and switch. I use a system like that on my Ranger to get it off the ground. I really don't recommend that you do that to the Lightning though. If you want to see a fine looking lowered Lightning look for a photo of "sixpipes" Lightning. Really fine looking ride.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 01-18-2000 | 12:29 AM
Question

I looked at the thread you suggested, Nathan, but it wasn't all that helpful, although a few posters correctly pointed out that it was the Lightning suspension and not the engine/tranny combo that was the limiting factor. I don't believe anyone mentioned the low aspect ratio tires, but that is important, too. My original plan was to get a dedicated tow vehicle and install a Jackson Racing supercharger kit, Quaife diff., coil overs, racing wheels, etc, on my Civic Si. I figured this would run me about $35K. Then I decided it would be way cool to use the Lightning as an occasional tow vehicle and give the (unmodified Si) to my kid. So, I gave the dealer a deposit on an 00 silver bolt. I still think that with a pair of 16" wheels on the rear for the occasional tow it would do the trick, and be way cooler than a hot rodded Civic. But I'd really like to know what the rest of you think.

Old 01-18-2000 | 12:54 AM
Banned
Check the SVT manual once you purchase the Lightning.

I read that it can handle 8,000 lbs but 5,000 was the advertised amount.

This was the SVT supplement of course. Can someone else verify this, because my memory isn't all that great lately.

Quick Reply: AiR LiFtS???