Lightning

Wheel's Up King with a Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005 | 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by sadf
Turbocharged Grand National
I own both a T-Type(Turbo T in 87) and a Grand National so I know what they are. I was just busting ***** on the T-Type GN comment. I found it funny.
Also, you can get a T-Type optioned just the same as a GN if you desired so. Could even get one with leather so I am not sure where the "poor man's GN" comment is coming from. -Mat-

Old 11-04-2005 | 02:43 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by SVT F15O
I own both a T-Type(Turbo T in 87) and a Grand National so I know what they are. I was just busting ***** on the T-Type GN comment. I found it funny.
Also, you can get a T-Type optioned just the same as a GN if you desired so. Could even get one with leather so I am not sure where the "poor man's GN" comment is coming from. -Mat-
The "poor" man terminology came from my friend that owned the T-Type. When asked what the difference was, he said the T-Type was the poor man's GN as it did not cost as much, but had all the performance options. he had ordered the T-Type to save a few dollars as I understood it.

Old 11-04-2005 | 02:52 PM
I like SVT F150 have owned both a GN and a T-Type. They were both '87's. Like F150 said, they have the exact same drive train, but the GN only came in black with the two-tone cloth bucket seats and center console with floor shifter. The GN also got a rear spoiler and unique chrome 15" wheels. The T-Type could be ordered in any color combination and interior set-up you wanted. The T-Types also had unique 15" aluminum wheels.

Hot Rod magazine listed the T-Type as the fasted production car built in America for 1986. T-Types were just a hair quicker in the quarter mile due to lighter weight. Like the L's, the turbo buicks could be made wicked fast with just a few mods. One big advantage they have over the L is fuel ecconomy. I got just over 29 MPG on a trip back from South Lake Tahoe with 3 people in the car and the AC running. Ran consistant 13.5's at full weight with all the stereo equipment, full tank of gas and full air pressure in the tires. I loved both those cars. I wish I still had the GN.

Old 11-04-2005 | 03:00 PM
Global Moderator &
They were neat cars. My friend would drive his to work all week, then on Friday, drive 125 miles from Abilene, Tx to Fort Worth and run at an i/8 track on Friday nights. He would spend the night, then drive about 40 miles to Texas Motorplex and run the 1/4 mile on Saturday. he would then drive it back home to Abilene and street race on Sundays at a local place we had set up. He carried his slicks in the truck. He had a blast with it.

Old 11-04-2005 | 09:17 PM

Quick Reply: Wheel's Up King with a Lightning