Lightning

ported blower questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005 | 07:21 PM
|
ported blower questions

I installed a ported blower on saturday. First thing is the noise is makes. It almost sounds like a bad bearing in the backside of the blower. YOu can hear it in the video below. It sounds worse in the morning after sitting overnight. The noise goes away after the truck warms up though. Also the boost is very inconsistent. I have gotten on it a few times and it has hit 15-16psi which would be normal considering the 2psi increase claim. Other times its only going to 10 psi. I emailed steig and I guess they are at sema so no reply yet. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and can point me in some direction to remedy the problem. Thanks for any help.

http://www.racers-edge.us/noise.mov 4mb quicktime of the noise.

Old 11-05-2005 | 01:00 AM
well i dont have a ported blower yet, but this sounds very similar to the way my truck sounds on a cold start up. i have no clue what it is. all i can think of is bearing problems until the blower gets heated up.

Old 11-05-2005 | 01:49 PM
I have the same issue after my port job. Lots of threads about this issue with ported blowers. Could be loss of grease in the rear bearings or a warped blower case. Steig will usually fix it if you send it back.
Do a search on ported eatons and you will find most questions answered.

Old 11-05-2005 | 03:19 PM
Had mine ported Sept. 04. I don't recall hearing that sound until outside temps were in the low 60's and below. It would pretty much just happen on morning startups during warmup idle and for the first few minutes of driving when ever the rpm would pass through the 1100-1400 range. Eventually I called them about it and was told that it was probably rotor to case contact and if I brought it in they would clearance the rotors for me. Finally did that at the end of March or so. Could have sworn that I heard it once or twice again after reinstallation but then I had to wait for morning temps to drop again. We have had enough cold mornings this fall that I would say it is fixed because I have not heard it since. And yes it was the same sound I can hear in your video.

As far as your inconsistent boost I would check the boost actuator mounting bolts if you have not already and adjust it. Search for how to.

Good luck
JJ

Old 11-05-2005 | 04:04 PM
Guy's if you send just your case out to be ported you need to add some grease to the bearings before you put it back together. Also take a good look at the bearing to make sure they don't have any crud in them. The rear bearings take about 1 cc of grease make sure not to over load them also too much grease generates more heat. By the way when you put the rotor back in there should be .003" of clearance between the rotor pack and case. Use a long set of feeler gages to set the clearance. One other thing make sure you follow the torque sequence when tightening the supercharger back down. If you don't it could distort the case and give you less clearance and wipe your rotor out!

Hope this help,

God Bless,

Suavy

Old 11-05-2005 | 04:58 PM
|
Ive adjusted the boost actuator a few times now and no change in the inconsistant boost. Also I got the blower complete from steig not just a ported case. It was all preassembled.

Old 11-05-2005 | 05:09 PM
Sounds like yor really spinng it which can lead to belt slippage ,that could account for the inconsistant boost. The noise can also be cavitation which is normal when really spinning these blowers. Try a different belt and tensioner setup. Hope that helps.

Old 11-05-2005 | 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Fast95Z
Ive adjusted the boost actuator a few times now and no change in the inconsistant boost. Also I got the blower complete from steig not just a ported case. It was all preassembled.

Make sure to check your vacuum lines that you removed during the SC job. Look for cracks or dry rotting. I blew a head on the dyno due to a dry rotted brake booster vacuum line before.

Hope this helps,

Peace,

Suavy

Old 11-07-2005 | 08:51 PM
|
I messed with the actuator some more and there is no change. From a slow roll and punching it boost will SLOWLY go to 15psi then the truck will shift and it drops to 10psi then SLOWLY work its way back up. I have the boost bypass done also. Is it possibly belt slip? It's only a 4lb lower. I haven't heard back from Bob yet. Before the ported blower it held a very solid 12psi.

Old 11-08-2005 | 08:49 AM
I pulled my blower Sunday, washed out the grease in the rear bearings with WD40 and repacked with red Mobil 1 synthetic grease. For now that has eliminated the sound of a cold bearing and everything is back to normal.

Old 11-08-2005 | 09:54 AM
That's definately a bad bearing!

You'll need to send it back unfortunately.

As far as loosing boost I'd think it's your by-pass mis-adjusted or a vacumme leak.

Rich

Old 11-08-2005 | 01:28 PM
95z, we talked a bit over on NLOC. i have the new "stage III" also. i did put my 4lb pulley on and could not hear the same noise or anything akin to cavitation. then again it was only on for 2 days then removed for towing when i go back down to 2lb pulley. if you need any close up pics of where all the vacuum lines go, let me know-- i took a bunch of pics and i'm about to delete them from my cam, but can post up to my website for you to grab. LMK i'm sure bob will take care of you if it's a problem with the blower.

Old 11-08-2005 | 07:23 PM
|
Yea put them up and let me know the addy for them. I'm willing to look into anything to get this working right. I heard from Robyn today and she had to get some speakers on the PC and then get back to me.

Old 11-08-2005 | 07:50 PM
ok, here they are:

S-C Removal Pics

Old 11-08-2005 | 09:07 PM
Before you remove the blower. Loosen the upper intake plenum, retorque the rear bolts first, then the front bolts. I bet this will stop the noise. It is very rare that the bearing go bad after a port job.

Also, try pulling the vaccum source to the boost actuator, and see if the noise goes away.

-Mike

Quick Reply: ported blower questions