Lightning

*help* Need Tq Specs For Arp Heads Studs!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005 | 12:04 PM
|
*help* Need Tq Specs For Arp Heads Studs!!!!

HI!... I'm in the middle of installing my FOX LAKE heads on my built 5.4 short block. I looked up in the FORD manual and they don't give final TQ specs on the head bolts. Just to turn them 90 degrees with a johnson bar for final TQ. What kind of crap is that? I've heard 80FT/LBS for stock. I'll be going with a T-76 turbo in the spring and have heard that you need to TQ the head studs more for blower/turbo applications. Some say 10FT'LBS over stock, some say 15FT/LBS over stock. What is the recommended TQ setting for ARP heads studs used with forced induction??? Any help on this would be great! THANKS.

Tuners any help on this would be great!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2005 | 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... I'm in the middle of installing my FOX LAKE heads on my built 5.4 short block. I looked up in the FORD manual and they don't give final TQ specs on the head bolts. Just to turn them 90 degrees with a johnson bar for final TQ. What kind of crap is that? I've heard 80FT/LBS for stock. I'll be going with a T-76 turbo in the spring and have heard that you need to TQ the head studs more for blower/turbo applications. Some say 10FT'LBS over stock, some say 15FT/LBS over stock. What is the recommended TQ setting for ARP heads studs used with forced induction??? Any help on this would be great! THANKS.

Tuners any help on this would be great!!!!!!
I do 80 with the ARP moly lube.

Old 11-05-2005 | 04:09 PM
What Sal said!

Peace,

Suavy

Old 11-05-2005 | 08:13 PM
|
HI!... SAL : Thanks for the info. I used 30 weight oil on the studs, so we ended up going about 92FT/LBS on them. Went in stages though, 25FT/LBS, 45FT/LBS, 65FT/LBS and then finally 92FT/LBS. The weird thing JMC and I noticed was after the TQ was done, we worked on other things on the engine for about 1 hour and I decided to re-check the final TQ again and all of the nuts well less than 92FT/LBS and abot 40% were less than 80FT/LBS. We could only figure that the COMETIC MLS head gasket took a bit of time to totally compact to the pressure. We re-tqed several times untill all were finally set at 92FT/LBS. Hopefully we will fire her up tomorrow. JMC and I had to stop around 6:00P.M due to it getting way too dark outside.

Old 11-06-2005 | 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... I'm in the middle of installing my FOX LAKE heads on my built 5.4 short block. I looked up in the FORD manual and they don't give final TQ specs on the head bolts. Just to turn them 90 degrees with a johnson bar for final TQ. What kind of crap is that? :

It's not crap at all. The spec for the stock torque to yield head bolt is 40 Nm + 90deg + 90 deg which puts the bolt into yield. You should be calling your head gasket vendor and ARP for recommendations for your application, not making SWAGS based on the stock set-up which is very different from yours, especially in a boosted application and with the $$$ you have in that setup.

Do a google search on torque to yield and on head studs for some background. Call ARP and Cometics for your specific application.

Good luck on the next go-around. Hope it stays buttoned up a little longer this time.

FM

Old 11-06-2005 | 01:03 PM
|
HI!... FACTORYMORON : lol! The name suits you. I have contacted ARP and they suggest anywhere from 80 - 100 FT/LBS, so they were no help. COMETIC suggested 95FT/LBS, and my engine builder suggested 90FT/LBS. I've seen and heard of a lot of head gasket failures on forced induction modulars do to low head bolt TQ specs. Didn't want it to happen to me also so I asked what people were running. As far as FORDS "CRAP" specs on the TTY bolts, that's exactly what it is "CRAP" . I used to be a FORD TECH so I know all about the way FORD specs things out. That's probably why there is so much warranty work...........

As far as it "STAYING BUTTONED UP THIS TIME" , don't worry, it will because I'm now doing the work and choosing the parts used.

Last edited by Neal; 11-06-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2005 | 03:08 PM
I would have thought you'd have known the torque spec. well before the 11th hour when putting the engine back together and having to come to this board to find out what the boosted crowd is doing.

Since you do so much Ford bashing, you should be driving an import. Their quality is much higher. Or is FORD's just the best of all the crap that is out there so you resign yourself to working on it. And the fact that you can get factory parts like lightning injectors that no one needs to know where they came from wink-wink nudge-nudge. Everything is crap and the engineers/techs/mechanics/hourly workers that do all this design work and manufacturing are a bunch of morons by your standards. If you were a FORD TECH then you are a licensed mechanic I take it?
Elaborate for me. Why is a torque to yield angle spec crap? Have you done load distribution studies to compare tty to other fastener technologies?

You've caught me on a bad day. I know it's no use arguing with you. I've seen how you deal with people who present opposing views that make sense but you don't want to hear. Just had to chime in this time for some reason. I'll try to keep my mouth shut for another few months.

Last edited by factorymoron; 11-06-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2005 | 05:48 PM
|
HI!... Well since you have 6 posts and most likely came here to flame, I won't bother "FACING" you in front of everyone here. Your not worth my time.

Old 11-06-2005 | 11:29 PM
You're not really worth my time either Neal. But all the Ford bashing I've seen just sent me over the edge. With 6 posts and the amount of time I've been on f150online under other usernames that I forgot passwords to, I'm definitely not into flaming. Just lurking.My current employment prevents me from doing much in the way of posting. Good luck with the motor. It's a really nice piece all-in-all and you're doing all the right stuff with it as far as I can see from your posts. Looking forward to hearing it tearing up the streets and seeing some track #'s.

Moe Ron

Old 11-07-2005 | 01:05 AM
|
HI!... No FORD bashing here Just pointing out the flaws of these engines. Most already know about them. Just informing others that don't. I'm probably one of the biggest "PRO" FORD guys on here, so please don't say I bash FORD's because I'm nowhere near that statement.

Quick Reply: *help* Need Tq Specs For Arp Heads Studs!!!!