Lightning

Chickenears...a True Class Act!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will also agree, Tim is truely a great guy, and that why I keep doing business with him.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow.So Im not alone..Heres mine

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...0762&anum=4774

This is definitely not a knock on Chickenears.But when I put it on,my truck would run right,went back to the s&b and it was cool.So I put it on the shelf(hot water heater) till I had time to deal w/ it.Knowing the possible problem,I have uni-filter cleaner and oil so I'll try it out when I get time

Frank

Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 AM
I dont have one but I do have a question, is the oil really needed on the filter ??? 4yrs of using other hi flow filters and I have never once oiled mine.
(or used a cleaning kit). When I see it's dirty I pull it out, wack it against the stoop, end up with a pile of chit, and put it back in. AMOF the same one was in for 02,03,04, the one in there now is brand new (maybe 2K on it).

The Chicken Man and Company have always treated me AND EVERYONE with customer service 2nd to none, awesome co to deal with
I'm sure he'll respond here and shed some light on this.....

Old 11-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Hilander
Thats cool, I think Tim is a good guy too...............but
I contacted him about his new True-Flow filter that I purchased.

I was having issues with it being extremly over oiled. A friend here has the same issue. Anyway the facts are that as I have a wide band on my truck I was able to see that his filter caused my truck to run very very rich. By rich I mean 10.00 a/f or less. I cleaned my Maf out re-installed my old filter and the wide band went back to the mid 11 a/f that the truck is tuned for.

Tim informed me nobody else was having issues and that I should clean out the filter BUY a re- oil kit from him and try again. Not the answer I was looking for. It's only a 60 dollar filter so no biggie, its now an ornament in my garage. Not trying to flame Tim just stating that not everybody gets the same standard of service.
I was having the same problem with it being over oiled. It was getting oil all over the air box, so I took it out.

But yeah, Tim is da man.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
I dont have one but I do have a question, is the oil really needed on the filter ??? 4yrs of using other hi flow filters and I have never once oiled mine.
(or used a cleaning kit). When I see it's dirty I pull it out, wack it against the stoop, end up with a pile of chit, and put it back in. AMOF the same one was in for 02,03,04, the one in there now is brand new (maybe 2K on it).

The Chicken Man and Company have always treated me AND EVERYONE with customer service 2nd to none, awesome co to deal with
I'm sure he'll respond here and shed some light on this.....

Rob- To answer your question, oil IS necessary for the "gauze" type air filters. Normally on a paper pleated filter, the molecules are close enough to trap dirt and most small dust particles. Unfortunetley, this does impede air flow. With the gauze filters the fabric strands are further apart, thus allowing for much more air flow. The price is that this allows for more smaller airborn dirt to enter the intake and engine. Oil is added to the filter for this reason. Oil attracts and traps dust and dirt And because of the multi-layer overlapping fabric structure, air is still able to enter at a greater volume than conventional paper filter designs.Its a tradeoff, but one that is worth it. Personally, I don't over spray the gauze filters. A light even coat is suffice. The "pink" color from the spry will darken after 30 seconds, so don't go by the color when you first spray the filter.Just my .02 - Armand

Last edited by Mondo1; 11-07-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Hilander
Thats cool, I think Tim is a good guy too...............but
I contacted him about his new True-Flow filter that I purchased.

I was having issues with it being extremly over oiled. A friend here has the same issue. Anyway the facts are that as I have a wide band on my truck I was able to see that his filter caused my truck to run very very rich. By rich I mean 10.00 a/f or less. I cleaned my Maf out re-installed my old filter and the wide band went back to the mid 11 a/f that the truck is tuned for.

Tim informed me nobody else was having issues and that I should clean out the filter BUY a re- oil kit from him and try again. Not the answer I was looking for. It's only a 60 dollar filter so no biggie, its now an ornament in my garage. Not trying to flame Tim just stating that not everybody gets the same standard of service.
Hilander,

I am aware that the True Flow filters are over oiled at the factory and until now haven't been aware that it was causing a problem with air fuel ratios. When I talked to you, you said that it was causing your truck to run rich, this is when I was first aware that it might be a problem. This is when I suggested getting one of the T F cleaning kits to you. I suggest it to everyone now.

The cleaner is specifically formulated to clean the particular oil that True Flow uses. If you'll notice, it's a sticky oil, much stickier than any we've seen before.

Also, with a True Flow foam filter, it can be cleaned and blown out with an air hose, no waiting for it to dry all day like the others.

To remedy this I'm going to include a free T F Cleaning kit with every filter purchased from now on. This will kill my profit but I'd rather not make anything than have customers unhappy.

Shoot me your address please.

Thanks Noah, it's my pleasure to help.

Tim

Old 11-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Mondo1,

These are foam filters we are talking about when we say TrueFlow. The S&B is a gauze filter.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 AM
what mondo said, Rob. if you have an S&B or K&N type filter, go buy a K&N Recharger kit from Advace/Autozone and clean it, then reoil it with the supplied two bottoles. It is easy to overoil. A small amount goes a long ways as it soaks. let it dry out at least over night if not a couple days to drain any excess. these filters DO NOT WORK properly unless oiled properly. you'll be letting a lot of tiny dirt molecues pass thru the filter otherwise.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Tim,

I bought the cleaning kit with my filter. I will try to get it cleaned tonight and let you know.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't have proof, but what I can tell you is that when I went to the Dyno last time my A/F was OFF THE CHART RICH(9's), and we couldn't figure out why. The only 2 things I replaced were a Truflow from Tim and the REM Carbon fiber intake tube. I asked REM multiple times if that pipe would throw my tune off and they said no. That kind of points to teh TruFlow, but again, just because REM says no doesn't mean it's absolute truth.

In any case, I'm now paranoid, and will be buying a cleaning kit, and I better schedule another Dyno tune right? I mean if it's showing rich when it really isn't, if I had my Tuner tune for a 11.8/12.0 A/F it means I'm actually running lean as hell?

Old 11-07-2005, 06:18 PM
I have the true flow, it does the same things to my truck also. Its a shame because it looks real cool on my red truck. But I have not used my cleaning kit either, so that could be the answer.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Also had rich A/F and poor running conditions with Tru-Flow. went back to old JDM filter and all was well. Also noticed vacuum was off at idle. On the shelf, will not try this one again. Waste of money and not worth the risk.

Dave
2001L

Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Daves00L
Also had rich A/F and poor running conditions with Tru-Flow. went back to old JDM filter and all was well. Also noticed vacuum was off at idle. On the shelf, will not try this one again. Waste of money and not worth the risk.

Dave
2001L

The only problem with your filter is that it is over-oiled. My TF filter was properly oiled, and did not adversly affect A/F ratios v.s. the gauze cone filter that I was using prior to the change.

Last edited by Master Of Pain; 11-09-2005 at 03:46 PM. Reason: FUCCCCK
Old 11-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Tim is the man

I was a newbie last year when I got my L
Tim assist me and called the shop a few times before dropping big bucks for them Roush suspension kits and the FTVB

when I had a question, he personally took the phone and took care of it

That is what I called Customer Service
I rather pay a few buck more just to have that............

Old 11-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Ive had nothing but good luck with them, they really do good work and go out of their way for you!

Quick Reply: Chickenears...a True Class Act!!