Lightning

Another L Bites the Dust!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005 | 03:39 AM
|
Another L Bites the Dust!!!!

I was driving home after getting a bite to eat with the girlfriend when out of nowhere a jackass rear-ends me. I was running about 50, and he was estimated at no less than 80 probably more. All I can remember is seeing headlights and mashing the brake to keep me from going into oncomming traffic. I would assume the truck is totalled because the frame is bent significantly in several places, there is about a 2 foot bubble in the bed of the truck.
Luckily both my girlfriend and I were wearing our seatbelts so no major injuries there, her nose was cut some but I assume it was from the back window shattering. The guy that hit me went another couple hundred feet and jumped a metal guard rail before he came to a stop. He was in pretty bad shape when they carted him off in the meat wagon, but I wasn't too concerned considering the situtation. They wouldn't give me any information, like if he was drunk, or if he had insurance, so I guess I will hope for the best and let the insurance company sort it out.
Not trying to complain too much but a guy has got to rant sometimes. By the way, it was an 03 DSG with a little under 18,000 on the clock.

Nick

Old 11-06-2005 | 07:18 AM
I'm so sorry Nick that really sucks &@*^$%(@$%(@$%^@$
TG you and your Lady are OK though.... THATS WHAT COUNTS

Old 11-06-2005 | 08:53 AM
Hopefully you get what you deserve on your L, and you can go get something just as good, or better.

Old 11-06-2005 | 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Gries'd
I was driving home after getting a bite to eat with the girlfriend when out of nowhere a jackass rear-ends me. I was running about 50, and he was estimated at no less than 80 probably more. All I can remember is seeing headlights and mashing the brake to keep me from going into oncomming traffic. I would assume the truck is totalled because the frame is bent significantly in several places, there is about a 2 foot bubble in the bed of the truck.
Luckily both my girlfriend and I were wearing our seatbelts so no major injuries there, her nose was cut some but I assume it was from the back window shattering. The guy that hit me went another couple hundred feet and jumped a metal guard rail before he came to a stop. He was in pretty bad shape when they carted him off in the meat wagon, but I wasn't too concerned considering the situtation. They wouldn't give me any information, like if he was drunk, or if he had insurance, so I guess I will hope for the best and let the insurance company sort it out.
Not trying to complain too much but a guy has got to rant sometimes. By the way, it was an 03 DSG with a little under 18,000 on the clock.

Nick
Get a good lawyer he/she will help you get a new GT in it's place !!

Old 11-06-2005 | 10:10 AM
Never.....

"Get a good lawyer he/she will help you get a new GT in it's place"

A GT?.....Dont settle for less.

Old 11-07-2005 | 01:59 PM
|
Alright, I need your guys' advice. Not real sure if the guy that hit me had insurance, because the police report said they didn't know because he was unconscious when they carted him off. I do know that his bac was .30 and that all the witnesses said he crossed all three lanes immediately before he hit me. Truck might be totalled, but the body shop where it is right now said they believe they can replace the whole frame and fix evertything else for around 26,000. I didn't know if this would be a good idea, or if I should just take the money and run.

Old 11-07-2005 | 02:01 PM
Take the money and run. Every time I have put something back together it was never right again.

Old 11-07-2005 | 02:23 PM
Re:Accident

Gries,
Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck in making the best decision.

If you decide not to fix it, I am looking for a spare 2003 or 2004 PCM.

TB

Old 11-07-2005 | 02:41 PM
26k is probably close to a 03's value. if not, it is well with in 75% of the value. take the check and just get another one. let this one be a parts truck or a race truck.

Old 11-07-2005 | 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by svtandy
26k is probably close to a 03's value. if not, it is well with in 75% of the value. take the check and just get another one. let this one be a parts truck or a race truck.

TAKE THE MONEY. The headache involved in repairing that isn't worth it at all. I WOULD see if you can buy the salvage title, and part it out. You'll make some decent scratch off a parted L.

I say this because I need one wheel

Old 11-07-2005 | 03:51 PM
|
After looking at it today, it really doens't look that bad. The body shop said the truck was worth at least 26,000 so they might be able to fix it for less. They are friends of the family so I don't think they would do me wrong. The main reason the frame is bent is because of the hitch on the truck. The hitch got pushed down so the frame and bed went up and buckled right where the hitch stops on the frame. Also I opted to get the GAP insurance when I bought the truck and didn't know if anyone had any experience with it. If they would pay off the remainder of my loan and then my insurance company gave me the check for the truck that would be great, but that sounds too good to be true. The only other vehicle I am interested in at the time would be the adrenalin, but I don't even know if they will ever make that truck, especially at a reasonable price.

Nick

Old 11-07-2005 | 04:54 PM
Sounds like where my frame bent. I priced out a frame and bed and they were in the area of $6,000 for both. Labor certainly isn't $20,000.
Take your check and get into another Lightning. I am weary about my truck getting fixed and the frame being "pulled" which is what they are going to try and do. I would take it as a total loss and use your gap insurance. Then go car shopping from there. I saw a black 03' on NLOC for cheap. -Mat-

Old 11-07-2005 | 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gries'd
the body shop where it is right now said they believe they can replace the whole frame and fix evertything else for around 26,000.

Old 11-07-2005 | 05:36 PM
Insurance co. don't could care less about you ! they will either total it or not. i would be at doctors office havin my whiplash taken care of along with my girlfriends back problems. remember they pay better to a young women hurt. I've dealth with these bums enough to know how they operate but, get a lawyer too!

Quick Reply: Another L Bites the Dust!!!!