Lightning

Ok it's time I talk about what happen :o(

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005 | 12:53 PM
Rob, I don`t think I like this. PSP built it, bring it back to PSP. Remember one thing about Drag Racing, you have to pay to play. Or as my father says it, "you gotta have the hair to have the comb"

Old 11-11-2005 | 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by 02Hayabusa
Watch this video and you'll understand why I want the turbo kit. Listen to that BOV. ahhhh..

http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=134
Hey Justin

wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a whistle?

Old 11-11-2005 | 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by jimkalfakis
Rob, I don`t think I like this. PSP built it, bring it back to PSP. Remember one thing about Drag Racing, you have to pay to play. Or as my father says it, "you gotta have the hair to have the comb"

unless PSP did something the viewer's of this thread don't know about, I personally believe the truck should have gone back to Sal to at least have a view the motor, For the countless hrs he spent on your truck and I'm sure there were hrs that weren't charge to you (little pop in visits)(my opinion)you owe him to at least look under the hood.

Old 11-11-2005 | 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by thehammer
unless PSP did something the viewer's of this thread don't know about, I personally believe the truck should have gone back to Sal to at least have a view the motor, For the countless hrs he spent on your truck and I'm sure there were hrs that weren't charge to you (little pop in visits)(my opinion)you owe him to at least look under the hood.
TEAM PSP BABY!!!!!

Old 11-11-2005 | 03:15 PM
|
HOLY WHAT DID I START BATMAN Is this post still going, "YIKES" : o ()

Sal is not upset and shouldn't be, Me and Sal are still talking, Me and Sal are still friends, and I think you guys know me good enough to know I deal with everyone, I'm also friends with all the Tuners and Vendors and do business with all the Tuners and Vendors. No "1" owns me, nor will they ever. I did what I had to do, and it was the right choice. Plus Sal is prob tickled pink to get the "CURSE OF RONBO" out of his hair anyway.

This is what it comes down to, if I went back to Sal I would expect it to be done for Free, YES FREE, I would think a new Motor with well under 600 hp should be able to go WOT without burning up the plugs and valves, obviously it couldn't. And racing or not, I feel there should be some grrnty it'll do that at least once before I sign off on it, it didn't. So I did everyone a favor by not going there and ruining the relationship I have with Sal. I did not ask him if it was covered, he did not offer, so as I continue to say I will simply take it like a Man and move on. AND WITH NO HARD FEELINGS FROM EITHER SIDE

I've known Jim and been good friends with Him and JDM long before I did business with anyone else. All my early Mods came from there, they've treated me like family all through the years, NO MATTER WHO WAS TUNNING FOR ME, and there is no doubt that their Magnum Tuning, Head Program, Engine Program, and just about everything they do is out there on all the fastest L trucks in the world. The only reason I never went there before was because we are a world apart as far as I'm concerned, but since I was there when it broke, now their only 1/2 a world apart (plus I'm going to make V trailer it back to me when it's done, he just doesnt know it yet

As I say, if all goes well it'll end up a PSP / JDM built motor when all is said and done. TEAM PSDM BABY
OR SOMETHING ???? hehehehehe......

Old 11-11-2005 | 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
HOLY WHAT DID I START BATMAN Is this post still going, "YIKES" : o ()

As I say, if all goes well it'll end up a PSP / JDM built motor when all is said and done. TEAM PSDM BABY
OR SOMETHING ???? hehehehehe......
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Team PSDM ?? oh well, you da man Rob!!!

Old 11-12-2005 | 12:40 AM
wow

All I can say is this, and I'm sure the majority of you will agree, and some won't. I'm going to say what I honestly feel so take it for what you will. The more I read about this situation, the more I can't help but shake my head.

I paid someone to build something with certain expectations. If those expectations couldn't be met, the person agreeing to do the work shouldn't have done it. If they didn't like what I wanted them to do because they knew my expectations were way to high, they shouldn't have accepted the job. If they didn't like the a certain blower, or didn't like a certain nitrous kit the customer requested, they should have done it. This is an example and i'm not saying this is what the case was.

Now some will say.......well there's no guarantees and warranties when dealing with race parts. And I will agree 100 percent to a point. However, the person building this project was the same person who tuned this project and has the final say on if it is considered finished or not. The finished product should be what the customer expected. THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL DIG AT SAL, I HAVE ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR HIM, however, let's all be honest.........Rob never even got to make 1 full pass on this truck the way it was built to run. I mean.......what else is there to say. It's not like Rob wanted a 10 second truck and it only ran 11's. There's no guarantees like that really. However, if you can't even get the truck down the track, we are talking a whole other ballgame.

Granted, i'm sure Sal spent countless hours and dollars trying to get things right for Rob. But honestly, I would completely expect him to do that.

I can remember back when Don was one of the first guys with a KB, how many times he was back and forth to Jersey having Jim tune and tune and tune. Obviously Jim was getting a **** load of experience but I mean Don paid for a built motor and putting a Kenne Bell on there. If Jim couldn't get it right then he shouldn't have accepted it. Well he did get it right and it did perform once it was right. And not only that Don was driving the truck back and forth from here to Jersey, not trailoring it.

There's conflicting facts that the Magnum blower sucks..........valve springs aren't strong enough........heads don't flow enough for the expectations Rob had. BUT. THIS ALL COMES DOWN to the person choosing to do the job knowing the expectations Rob had and what he wanted to do and what products he wanted to use. If these products weren't compatable to give optimum performance and more reliabilty then a lousy pass, it should have never been done.

Too bad that Sal will never get the chance to make this thing right, but I think Rob has suffered enough. I don't think what he was doing to the truck was anywhere near EXTREME to the point that anyone should say well, he turned this into a race truck and tough ****. To my knowlege,he still had the stock tranny did he not?

However, I must commend Rob for choosing to start over with someone else . But it seems like a good part of his decision was in an effort to save a relationship with someone. I gotta tell you. One half of me says it's stupid and i'd have it towed back to Sal and ask him to get the truck to where it was supposed to be when we started and I don't feel that Rob should have to pay anymore because I don't think he ever got what he paid for to begin with. The other half say GOD DAMN is ROB a stand up guy for trying to defuse a situation and avoid conflict and paying another ****load of cash to achieve what he started out to do a year ago.

Again, I respect Sal for everything he does for us but you know the majority of the people that have followed Rob's post are thinking the same thing. For those who don't agree with the way I feel, I understand both sides completely. I mean, if the problem turned out to be a fuel pump relay **** the bed or a fuel pump failed, obviously Sal didn't build these products so he should not be held accountable. But Rob has been frying plugs since he got this motor back. Why? This has never been determined. He's had the truck for a year and to my knowledge, Rob has had a built motor truck that fries plugs every time he goes WOT and has never been given an answer why.

Again, this isn't a an anti Sal or PSP post. But in my eyes, the only difference between this situation and say, the Junk box motor that Outragous Performance built for Matt's truck, is Sal hasn't yet refused to try to make the situation right. Probably because Rob hasn't asked him.

Rob , please don't be pissed about this post. However you've been 100 percent honest with everything. Here's my feedback.

In the end, I hope you go back to driving your truck with confidence. I mean not all is lost. Alot of what you had done is still in tactI can't wait to see the final results and wish you nothing but the best.

FLAME SUIT ON!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2005 | 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
Now some will say.......well there's no guarantees and warranties when dealing with race parts. And I will agree 100 percent to a point. However, the person building this project was the same person who tuned this project and has the final say on if it is considered finished or not. The finished product should be what the customer expected. THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL DIG AT SAL, I HAVE ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR HIM, however, let's all be honest.........Rob never even got to make 1 full pass on this truck the way it was built to run. I mean.......what else is there to say. It's not like Rob wanted a 10 second truck and it only ran 11's. There's no guarantees like that really. However, if you can't even get the truck down the track, we are talking a whole other ballgame.
Sal has probably done more combo's than anyone here, but a MP with tons of boost, stock heads and cams, and a big nitrous shot was probably not one of them. He accepted a job and followed a customers wishes without knowing the outcome ahead of time. I think in the end Rob and Sal should have put a smaller pulley combo on the MP or ported eaton and accepted that maybe this setup wouldn't work with stock heads and cams, but hindsight is 20/20. This is a lose/lose scenario for everyone. Rob lost a season of racing and now faces another round of bills. Sal spent countless no charge hours trying to make things right only to lose a customer. I have no doubt Jim will get Rob's truck running perfect when using all the best equipment to start.

-Mark

Old 11-12-2005 | 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
Sal has probably done more combo's than anyone here, but a MP with tons of boost, stock heads and cams, and a big nitrous shot was probably not one of them. He accepted a job and followed a customers wishes without knowing the outcome ahead of time. I think in the end Rob and Sal should have put a smaller pulley combo on the MP or ported eaton and accepted that maybe this setup wouldn't work with stock heads and cams, but hindsight is 20/20. This is a lose/lose scenario for everyone. Rob lost a season of racing and now faces another round of bills. Sal spent countless no charge hours trying to make things right only to lose a customer. I have no doubt Jim will get Rob's truck running perfect when using all the best equipment to start.

-Mark
I strongly agree. Robs truck will have nothing but brand new parts in it and im going to go as far as saying it will be an entire long block. Jim has been following Robs problems for some time now just as we all were too. If i was a tuner i would do a job uppon the customers request, regardless of the out come, its business. even though i doubt that was the case, Rob and Sal have remained to be friends, i know Sal was trying to steer Rob away from adding more boost and adding this and that until he could figure out what the problem was. Rob wanted numbers from the dyno, which is why he added more boost and NOS, Sal only met his wishes. either way i know that they are both ok with what is happening. if it means going to someone else to have there problems fixxed so be it, Rob tried to keep the situation with his truck out of Sals hair. and for those who werent at JDM Day, when Rob broke down, what was the guy suppose to do? he had no money to tow the truck back to Long Island and nobody with a trailer to help him out. as much as i would have liked to see Sal rip into that engine and find out what had happend, Rob didnt want to cause a problem with Sal. Im PSP all the way, but i have supported other vendors as well by purchasing parts and Sal knows that, Rob is the same way, he is simply trying to keep the peace with him and Sal. Good luck Rob

Old 11-12-2005 | 09:58 AM

-Mark
I think Mark's post sums it up best.

As for Rob and myself, I have no problem, Rob has no problem, and the world goes on. There is no reason to debate "sides".

Old 11-12-2005 | 11:01 AM

-Mark

winner winner chicken dinner!!

Old 11-12-2005 | 11:26 AM
|
Like the dam energizer Bunny, this post just keeps going
and going
and going.....

Please lets not make this out to be "I" was trying to squeeze some massive amount of power out of a Combo that was not capable of handling it.
We had the same probs with a simple filter chip n 8lb pulley as we did when we climbed to the 10. And AGAIN up to Fri only "8 sec's" of n20 has been put through this motor since rebuilt. 99.9 % of melt downs were OFF SPRAY on a simple 425-450 HP Lightning, hundreds "if not thousands" have the same or equal power and mods "on a 100% stock motor with no issues", so I refuse to blame "the set up". I simply believe it was never right, and now it turned fatal.

Rich dont even joke like that, WE ARE going to use my existing lower end, and if Jim takes it apart and finds it's trashed, I will DEF have to re-consider where I go from here....

Old 11-12-2005 | 02:04 PM
Yeah

Like the dam energizer Bunny, this post just keeps going
Did you honestly expect this to be a 1 page thread?

Old 11-12-2005 | 02:06 PM
yeah

I simply believe it was never right, and now it turned fatal.
Exactly. That's why I think it's CRAZY that you are paying someone else to make it right when you already paid.

Old 11-12-2005 | 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
Exactly. That's why I think it's CRAZY that you are paying someone else to make it right when you already paid.
There are good reasons that people take a conservative approach when testing out a new part or setup at the track. If I were in Rob's situation, I wouldn't have touched the bottle on JDM day. MAYBE after 3 non-nitrous runs, if everything was running perfect, I would hit it with the equivalent of a 50 shot. I imagine it was about pride and living up to his Wizard of NOS reputation. I do believe any work or parts has an initial warranty, but only if used in a reasonable manor. If he burnt 7 plugs with no nitrous, I'd say 100% that is Sal's problem to try to correct at no charge.

I appologize if Rob did make some non-nitrous runs first - I've only heard about the 1 nitrous run and it sounded like it was his only run.

-Mark

Last edited by St Louis Lightning; 11-12-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok it's time I talk about what happen :o(