Lightning

new oil seperator

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005 | 11:18 AM
Why not make one out of a fuel filter. You can get filters that have 3 lines.
Have the bottom sitting in the oil cap, side line coming from PVC, and top line going to the intake.

I have been thinking about this for awhile.

Old 11-19-2005 | 02:00 PM
|
Originally Posted by Mondo1
To those who have it,how did it function as an oil seperator?
They just came out so I doubt there will be any results as to how well it does or does not work for a little while. I just picked up some fittings to plumb the drivers side into the thing also. Will take a pic when I get it done.

Old 11-19-2005 | 02:07 PM
If it's not chambered inside to separate the oil, it's garbage. The air/oil vapor needs to be sent threw a screen to filter the oil.

Old 11-19-2005 | 02:14 PM
|
IMO although it is called a "seperator" it's not really one.. It more so redirects the oil. Instead of it going into the intake and intercooler it is redirected back into the oil fill spot.

Old 11-19-2005 | 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Fast95Z
IMO although it is called a "seperator" it's not really one.. It more so redirects the oil. Instead of it going into the intake and intercooler it is redirected back into the oil fill spot.
I totally agree about the name, but it definitely performs the same task; keeping oil out of the IC.

Old 11-21-2005 | 08:29 AM
I got the new RPM oil seperator in yesterday and installed it today. Only time will tell if it works good.

Hey Man a few weeks ago I purchased the same oil seperator you have. Since I've installed it I've noticed that I have a slight spray/leakage of oil around the front brass fitting. Do you have the same problem? From the looks of the picture you posted it looks like you have a dark area right around the front brass fitting also. I called RPM and they said that Teflon tape can help seal the leak. I tried that but now the tape is soak in oil. I'm going to try and send mine back for a replacement. I just wanted to ask you if you were having the same problem.

URBAN COWBOY

Old 11-21-2005 | 10:08 AM
Urban- Try the teflon sealer in the small tube instead. Other than that, did you notice if it works better than the compressor type filter from keeping the oil out of the intake??

Old 11-21-2005 | 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mondo1
Urban- Try the teflon sealer in the small tube instead. Other than that, did you notice if it works better than the compressor type filter from keeping the oil out of the intake??
How does the teflon sealer work? Would I have to take the brass fitting out and put it around the threads? Someone mentioned locktite to me also, but I don't want to take a chance of getting anything into the oil system. As far as the seperator works, I just put it on so I really don't know how it's working. If it works like it's supposed to, it will be a pretty maintenance free device.

URBAN COWBOY

Old 11-21-2005 | 06:44 PM
|
It's a thick paste like substance. You will need to unthread the fitting and then smear some on the brass threads then thread it back in. It hardens up after a little while making it seal.

Old 11-22-2005 | 03:36 AM
Thin!!

Wow, that plastic is really thin down at the threads!! Someone mentioned the fuel filter type, I saw this on a thread when I was searching one night, can't remember where it was, but it has been done. I'm just going to vent in 3 places to the atmosphere and plug off all vaccum lines, it's the only sure way because you're gonna suck in oil no matter what as long as you have vaccum going to the crankcase. You just have to put it all back together come smog time. I just purchased an assortment of breathers from auto-zone that were really cheap, like 3 bucks a piece, and I think they will do the trick. We will see. Brandon K.

Old 11-22-2005 | 04:06 AM
It's a thick paste like substance. You will need to unthread the fitting and then smear some on the brass threads then thread it back in. It hardens up after a little while making it seal.
Thanks! I'll do this.

URBAN COWBOY

Old 11-24-2005 | 01:41 PM
|
Here it is with drivers and passengers stuck into it. I had some aeroquip socketless fittings laying around from a fuel cell install in my car so I used them for it.

Old 11-25-2005 | 08:29 AM
That looks very interesting Fast95. I have been running a breather setup for about 4 months now and ready to do something different. I'm tired of cleaning filters and oil smell when venting outside air into the cabin. How long have you been running this setup? Is it letting any oil into the intake?

Last edited by chesster51; 11-25-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2005 | 10:36 AM
|
It's only been on 2 weeks now. No results as of yet.

Quick Reply: new oil seperator