Lightning

Whipple 3 Vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005 | 05:56 PM
|
Whipple 3 Vs. Turbo

Im relativly new to the forum (posting wise) but I have been debating this issue for some time reagarding which way to go. Since I am not going to be ready for about a year or two, I have plenty of time for others to test both sides...SC or Turbo.

I have read good things about the Turbos from Pro Turbo Systems and I really like the thought of a turbo because of the more "effeicent" boost that can be made and the amounts.

I have also heard (not seen) good future estimates on how the 3.3 will act. capable of 30+lbs and such. One quick question...do the whipple kits come with all the intake, TB, MAF, and filter? Im guessing that all are adequate enough to handle/support huge boost and power...?

For anywhere near a 800+rwhp truck, I have looked into built block utilizing billet rods, stouter pistons and mabey a billet crank(although they say the stock crank is good for above 1200hp).

What heads could be used with so much boost as 25-35lbs of boost? would they have to be made especially or could aftermarket heads now handle it?

Any info regarding these issues could be of great help. Thanks, Jonathan

Old 11-13-2005 | 06:06 PM
the 3.3 whipple doesn't exist.. and as far as everyone else knows (except for 2 or 3) the 2.3 doesn't exist either. Although Vinnie did make some awesome numbers and times on the 2.3... turbo is the way to go if you're looking for huge power.

Old 11-13-2005 | 06:13 PM
|
I thought that a couple of casings where out for trial fit on the 3.3?

Old 11-13-2005 | 09:25 PM
turbo is the way to go for HIGH RPM POWER.

Whipples exist, Ford Racing has Quite a few they are testing. INCLUDING 3.3L

Facts people, not rumor

Old 11-13-2005 | 09:44 PM
Somebody is going to have "splain" to me...How are you going to drive a 3.3L blower with a serpentine drive belt up to 30 lbs boost ??

I really would like to see this done. My thoughts are it will take two...8 rib belts to even get close. And then we have to talk about how the crank and balancer are going to live. I was having major problems with crank and balncer with a KB let alone some monster like that.
Dale

Old 11-13-2005 | 09:48 PM
So much boost to be made, but who will tackle the head lifting problem.

Old 11-13-2005 | 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bad as L
Somebody is going to have "splain" to me...How are you going to drive a 3.3L blower with a serpentine drive belt up to 30 lbs boost ??

I really would like to see this done. My thoughts are it will take two...8 rib belts to even get close. And then we have to talk about how the crank and balancer are going to live. I was having major problems with crank and balncer with a KB let alone some monster like that.
Dale

Suavy had his Magnum powers blower up to 26 Lbs of boost. For a While.
I thought SAL had his Centrifigul blower up in the 20's lbs of boost. but it kept spitting belts, then again it was a cogged system.

Old 11-13-2005 | 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
turbo is the way to go for HIGH RPM POWER.

Whipples exist, Ford Racing has Quite a few they are testing. INCLUDING 3.3L

Facts people, not rumor
There will be no Whipple 3.3l production kits. This is as per dustin, art etc. they have finished testing their 2.3l units so now the 3.3l units start

I am trying to get dustin to make me a kit for my truck with 1 of their 5.0L compressors though

Will

Old 11-14-2005 | 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Suavy had his Magnum powers blower up to 26 Lbs of boost. For a While.
I thought SAL had his Centrifigul blower up in the 20's lbs of boost. but it kept spitting belts, then again it was a cogged system.
The magnum is a 112 cube blower....and on a short dyno pull that doesn't count. Sal on the the other hand does count. I don't think he made it past 300 feet down the 1/4 without busting something in the drive...he will have to correct me on that but it was a nightmare for him.
Dale

Old 11-14-2005 | 02:25 AM
|
What do people do about head lifting on high boost trucks?

Old 11-14-2005 | 04:28 AM
There are engines out there making over 2000 hp with the same head gaskets, blocks, heads and studs that any built lightning engine has.....the difference is they dont run the engine into detonation. Heads dont lift under normal cylinder pressure even the kind of cylinder pressure that makes insane hp....they lift from abnormal cylinder pressure caused by uncontrolled combustion.
Dale

PS....if your really good...you can lift a cylinder head at 10lbs boost, it doesn't have to be high boost.

Old 11-14-2005 | 06:35 AM
As said the Whipples do exist (the 140 will be shipping to some lucky people starting "1" week from today, THIS STRAIGHT OUT OF WHIPPLES MOUTH SAT.

Turbo's def DO seem the move, however for 6K I think alot of people will still stay with the S/C at 1/2 the price, especially if they can run mid 10's off spray, as V has done time after time now on the Whipple. Give people a while to get these Whipples dialed in, and sky is the limit......

Old 11-14-2005 | 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bad as L

Dale

Dale was that on a caged version of the lower pulley?

Rich

Old 11-14-2005 | 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
As said the Whipples do exist (the 140 will be shipping to some lucky people starting "1" week from today, THIS STRAIGHT OUT OF WHIPPLES MOUTH SAT.

Turbo's def DO seem the move, however for 6K I think alot of people will still stay with the S/C at 1/2 the price, especially if they can run mid 10's off spray, as V has done time after time now on the Whipple. Give people a while to get these Whipples dialed in, and sky is the limit......
Just remember to run mid 10's with a KB/Whipple you'll also need LT's. When you add in the exhaust and electric fans that the turbo kits include (app. $1500 for all that) and add it to the Whipple cost $3300-$3800 then you are getting between $500 and $1000 of the turbo kits. And the turbo's will probably make 100+ rwhp more than either of the blowers at the same boost level.

Nothing wrong with either blower, they work great. They are less money but not as big of a difference as they first appear.

Jody

Old 11-14-2005 | 02:04 PM
who are you gonna have build your motor?

-Mike

Quick Reply: Whipple 3 Vs. Turbo