Lightning

Accessory belt issues/squeek

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005 | 10:13 AM
|
Accessory belt issues/squeek

Hey, i need some help from some of you pulley/belt alignment pro's. I am just about to rip my hair out over this. I have a freaking annoying low rpm belt squeek/squeel, that occurs when the truck is just started, and now its worsening. I have replaced the belt 4 times because of this, and it goes about 3,000 miles w/ out squeeking. Apparenlty i either have the tensioner going out, or a pulley misalignment? It is just the accessory drive. I have removed the idlers, re-greased. Now, the thing is, i have replaced the alternator, and with the way ford designed, it gives the alternator a lot of play where it mounts. I figure i moved the bracket that holds the top of the alternator in. Also, it seems like theres a little bit of play in the power steering pulley, maybe 1/8-1/4 in and out. How can i check for correct alignment? Its driving me nuts. Its to the point where its embarassing to deal with, and its going to force me to get rid of the thing if i cant sort it out. So, suggestions are welcome.

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:31 AM
my accessory belt does the same thing, so I'm curious as well.

Mine sat for 3 years (with being started every few months) so I figured it was a bad worn belt.

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:50 AM
|
Man it drives me nuts. I cant keep it from doing it. I buy a new belt, it goes away, put 2,000 miles on, back again. I KNOW its a pulley misalignment, but the problem is, how in the hell do you align them straight? I have no idea how to go about doing it. Im pretty postive its because of the alternator, so i figure thats what needs positioning. How can i tell where to set it?

Old 11-15-2005 | 12:37 PM
You can do this your self but it's going to take some time.

First off get a mechanics steth-o-scope. Once you find out which one it is for sure then e-mail me and I'll help you tweak it.

Rich

Quick Reply: Accessory belt issues/squeek