Lightning

Ordering a Wideband TODAY. Need advice/pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005 | 10:14 AM
|
Ordering a Wideband TODAY. Need advice/pics

I want pics, I want opinions, I want whatever you have. I have researched this damn thing to death and "Skeltoned" the pi$$ out of the search button, yet I'm still confused.

Definites: No Wideband Commander. A needle won't hack it for me

Top Contenders:
Zeitronix: http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

PLX-R300
https://www.forced-air.com/index.php...back_in_page=9

PLX M-300
https://www.forced-air.com/index.php...back_in_page=9

AEM UEGO (only reads donw to 11.1)
http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/aem_uego_controller

The boxes offer so much bang for the buck, but I've never seen pictures of where to mount them. My pillar pod is full so if I do the AEM I'll need to go with a steering wheel pod.

Any other setups I should consider? Looking around 400 dollars, but will go higher if it's good stuff. I have my XCAL2 and laptop ready to rock, so analog out is a good thing.

ANY advice is appreciated guys. I can't make up my mind but I NEED to do this once and for all today.

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:05 AM
|
Wow, another product I just found. THIS one looks like the winner. No control boxes, and they have a webscript that allows you to make custom faceplates. I already did one with a Lightning Logo on it and it looks sweet!

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...cat=252&page=1

412.50 shipped directly from them, or 399.00 shipped if I go Ebay... hmmmm..

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:11 AM
i almost went with that one, but i went with the wbc for the datalogging.

innovate all the way if you don't want the wbc.

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:14 AM
The Innovative LC-1 is a nice piece. I use the LM-1 and have been very happy with it. The AEM is good too but IMO the Innovative kits are the way to go.

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by typhoon43
Definites: No Wideband Commander. A needle won't hack it for me
I don't quite understate the reasoning behind this. An analog display is the most ergonomic display, It's much easier to mentally process. If you need to take a quick look you will metally process the position of the needle faster than you can read some digital letters and then time it takes mentally process that to being good or bad.

Have you ever had a digital watch and looked at it only to not grasp what the time was and you have to look at it again. You see a hand type watch and that doesn't happen.

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:28 AM
I'd say i like this wideband the most. It's nice, and compact. Anybody using it?

Last edited by Derek94; 11-15-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2005 | 11:32 AM
|
Originally Posted by Derek94
Where can you make custom faceplates? I didnt see that on the site. I must have missed it. I'd say i like this wideband the most. It's nice, and compact.

Here ya go: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xdtool/xd1_tool.php

And silver, a digital readout is more accurate IMO. When I have the pedal to the metal, and my truck is rushing down the 1/4, all I can imagine by looking at the WBC is getting a "feel" from the needle position if I'm on danger or not. With an LCD I can watch the gauge go 11.8, 11.8, 12.0, and then back out. Maybe it's because I'm a tech nerd and I have LCD readouts and displays around me for a living, but the needle and it's little hash marks would take me WAY longer to figure out if I was at 11.3 or 11.6 than just seeing the numbers.

EDIT: Ok, I want this thing. Now I only have 2 questions left:
1) Will it work with my XCAL2 and laptop
2) Black or aluminum bezel

Edit 2: Just spoke with them and it will work with the XCAL2 and comes with the cable already. Woot!

Last edited by typhoon43; 11-15-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2005 | 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by typhoon43
Here ya go: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xdtool/xd1_tool.php

And silver, a digital readout is more accurate IMO. When I have the pedal to the metal, and my truck is rushing down the 1/4, all I can imagine by looking at the WBC is getting a "feel" from the needle position if I'm on danger or not. With an LCD I can watch the gauge go 11.8, 11.8, 12.0, and then back out. Maybe it's because I'm a tech nerd and I have LCD readouts and displays around me for a living, but the needle and it's little hash marks would take me WAY longer to figure out if I was at 11.3 or 11.6 than just seeing the numbers.

EDIT: Ok, I want this thing. Now I only have 2 questions left:
1) Will it work with my XCAL2 and laptop
2) Black or aluminum bezel
The WBC has a warning LED built into the gauge. So you can go in the software, and set a specific point to make the LED come on based on several inputs. For example, you could make the warning LED come on at 12.2 A/F and 80% throttle position. Or you can base it off rpms, or an analong input if you wish. I'd much rather watch the road and shut the truck down if the warning light comes on, rather than have to read actual numbers to make that choice, taking my eyes off the road.

Old 11-15-2005 | 12:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
The WBC has a warning LED built into the gauge. So you can go in the software, and set a specific point to make the LED come on based on several inputs. For example, you could make the warning LED come on at 12.2 A/F and 80% throttle position. Or you can base it off rpms, or an analong input if you wish. I'd much rather watch the road and shut the truck down if the warning light comes on, rather than have to read actual numbers to make that choice, taking my eyes off the road.

The XD-1 does that as well, has peak low and peak high values, and you can actually change the color of the LED's at whatever marks you want so I can have blue all the way to 12.0 and then immediately jump to red after that. This is one slick little gauge.
Auto light sensor as well that brightens the display for daytime driving

Now, where can I get one of those steering wheel gauge pods?

Old 11-15-2005 | 12:52 PM
Summit sells them for 30 bucks

Old 11-15-2005 | 01:05 PM
|
Summit sells them for 30 bucks

Thx. ATM-15004 is the pN#. Jeg's and Summit both had same price, and both had a 9.99 "handling" charge. What a rip.. Oh well, it had to be done.

I tried LFP 1st but got the answering machine. Then I tried rpmoutlet but their online ordering is HOSED.....I'm an impatient person, so Jeg's it was (2 day shipping for the win!)

Old 11-15-2005 | 07:23 PM
Very slick gauge! Glad you posted this before I put my money on a WBC. Choices, choices...

Old 11-15-2005 | 10:52 PM
I'd say i like this wideband the most. It's nice, and compact. Anybody using it?
I've got the LC-1. It has it's own datalogging software, but the serial output can be used by many tuning packages directly. Great price, stout unit, open communication format ... love it.

Old 11-24-2005 | 12:32 AM
SO have you got it yet? If so, how do you like it?

Old 11-24-2005 | 09:44 AM
|
SO have you got it yet? If so, how do you like it?

Got it in last night after having to hit another muffler shop to get a new bung installed (1st shop butched the threads). I haven't had a chance to datalog or change the LED colors yet, but what I can tell you is that gauge seems to be very accurate and VERY responsive. I took her out to the track last night and was quite relieved to see my A/F at 11.4-11.6 throughout the run in 51 degree weather. I'm not going to be so paranoid about getting on it now. I also made the cable and soldered it in so I can hook up my XCAL2 and log A/F as well. The Innovate forums are awesome as far as help goes. I got basically a small book written when asking about integration for my XCAL2. I can highly recommned it. I'll take some videos and pics tonight for you and post them up tomorrow.

Install took about 3 hours, but we took our time, routed everything away from heat/moving parts, soldered all the wires, and grounded certain wires at certain ground points for the best accuracy. I LOVE this gauge!! Plus, replacement sensors are 40 bux. You just can't beat that IMO.

Have a great Turkey Day!

Quick Reply: Ordering a Wideband TODAY. Need advice/pics