Lightning

MythBusters does a test on trucks. Now I have ?s for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005 | 09:56 PM
|
MythBusters does a test on trucks. Now I have ?s for everyone

Ok they did a test on driving with the truck bed closed and open. 2 ford F-150 trucks. The truck that had the bed closed got better gas miles. It went 30 miles more then the truck that had been driven with the bed open. They said the truck with the bed closed has a bubble of air in the bed area, which help move air over the tail gate and back of the truck. Now the truck that had the tail gate down had more air going through it but had more drag on the tail gate.

So now my questions is. How does this differ from Drag racing our trucks. Has anyone done test on the trucks to see which way is really better. I know guys tend to take the tail gate off to save weight but it this now hurting ET.s When I ran my truck I ran it with the tail gate up and factory bed cover on.

Episode 43: Seasickness — Kill or Cure
The whole team takes on the challenge of finding the holy grail of the sea, i.e., an effective remedy for mal de mer, in this episode. From electric shock therapy to homeopathic tongue tinglers, can the MythBusters find a cure to this frequently regurgitated problem? Returning to shore, Adam and Jamie hit the road in a fuel efficiency special. They seek to answer the age-old question: Does driving with your pickup's tailgate down save gas and, hence, money?

NOV 16 2005
@ 09:00 PM MythBusters Seasickness - Kill or Cure pg

NOV 17 2005
@ 01:00 AM MythBusters Seasickness - Kill or Cure pg

NOV 20 2005
@ 01:00 PM MythBusters Seasickness - Kill or Cure

Old 11-16-2005 | 10:01 PM
|
Old 11-16-2005 | 10:11 PM
I saw the episode too. What about us with a bed cover??????

Old 11-16-2005 | 10:24 PM
Well the easiest way to answer this question without going into any deep[which I did along time ago]is look at the craftsman trucks....................what do they run with.If they thought that running a bed with no cover was more aero then I think they would try and figure a way to do it.Since they can spend thousands to save a few pounds of weight.that myth was proving over 2 years ago by a group of college students in a wind tunnel.Stan

Old 11-16-2005 | 10:34 PM
go research the areodynamics of the Shelby Daytona and you'll learn all about how controversial it was of the time. However it created a buble behind the car and significantly reduced drag.

I got my best time with the soft tonneau cover on and tailgate on and closed. I also have a cervani rear spoiler, but i'm uncertain whether it improves aerodynamics.

Old 11-16-2005 | 10:58 PM
I just saw it, was a little surprised with the results myself
And as Adam said, here comes all the e-mails

IMO I have to think that their testing and conclusion is not helpful to us since it was based on extremely controlled driving conditions with the cruise control set at 55 (was it). I got to believe there's a huge diff from that air, compared to 0 to 120 mph blast. On a Blast like the 1320 my guess is the best set up would be no cover and no tail gate, (even know I race with a cover and usually a gate)

Old 11-16-2005 | 11:06 PM
just a tid bit but on the nascar trucks one of the tricks it to make the bed cover material flemsy so it will bow downward creating this bubble. has been proven a 2 tenth gain at dega in testing.

Old 11-16-2005 | 11:10 PM
OR YA WHAT HE SAID
I never said I belived what I said

Ok thats it, I'm going to wrestle some fat bitches on mine when I get it back to loosen it up

Old 11-16-2005 | 11:34 PM
For drag racing the weight savings with the tailgate removed is more important than the aero penalty.
Jim

Old 11-17-2005 | 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by jboss10
I saw the episode too. What about us with a bed cover??????
this might help: http://www.fordf150.net/misc/tonneau...pg-article.php

Old 11-17-2005 | 04:35 AM
the % of drag the tailgate makes weither it being on or off doesnt really make that big of a difference within the 13 or less seconds we drive the truck on the track.

taking it off at the track is all about weight reduction is all.

Last edited by 20"svt; 11-17-2005 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2005 | 05:28 AM
And it just looks stupid IMO to have your tail gate down flying around the interstate. I don't want to take the chance of adding that extra flexing stress to the bed of my truck, the tail gate ties it all togeather. Get a tonoe covers, they look sharpe, reduse drag, keep your things out of sight, out of mind, some are lockable, and you can still use your truck like a truck if needed. But anyways... as far as the Myth Busters episode, the myth was tail gate up or down, but I think they should have done a Best MPG... testing all diferent combos on the same vehical, with several vehicals, in the same wind tunnel. JMO

Old 11-17-2005 | 05:32 AM
Like Stan said..........

If your really really worried about the aero, run just like the Craftsman Supertrucks. I know my truck did, and resulted in its first 10.9 sec run

Old 11-17-2005 | 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Fast Gator
Like Stan said..........

If your really really worried about the aero, run just like the Craftsman Supertrucks. I know my truck did, and resulted in its first 10.9 sec run
Exactly, your truck looks a lot better as well with all the parts on it going down the track too! -Mat-

Old 11-17-2005 | 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Fast Gator
run just like the Craftsman Supertrucks.

That's the plan...

Quick Reply: MythBusters does a test on trucks. Now I have ?s for everyone