Lightning

Thoughts on intercooler.....coooolers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005 | 06:46 PM
|
Thoughts on intercooler.....coooolers?

Since I am sticking with the eaton this time I was looking for advice on the cooler tanks available by most of our supporting vendors.

I am only interested in street use at this point. Is the $350.00 to $400.00 worth the investment?

I have minimal mods - cold air, C&L, 90 mm maf, plugs, 5lb lower, predator tune (conservative 11.16 a/f, minimal timing change) on a '99 pulling 380/480.

Advice appreciated!!!!!

D-Day

Why did I sell my '03

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 11-23-2005 | 09:41 AM
On the street I think your money would be better served by one of the set-ups...

Old 11-23-2005 | 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by litnfast
On the street I think your money would be better served by one of the set-ups...
I would have to disagree. With the hp those kits are producing, I think he would be better off with a different mod.

I believe a intercooler tank would help with cooling down temps all the time, then a methcooler only when he needs it.

Old 11-23-2005 | 12:11 PM
A set of fans on your stock IC would be 100 times more effective. With my fans running the IC fluid temps are generally about 4 degrees above ambient with the motor running.

No increased amount of cooling capacity is going to change that.

Rich

Old 11-23-2005 | 05:29 PM
wydopnthrtl,

A set of fans on your stock IC would be 100 times more effective. With my fans running the IC fluid temps are generally about 4 degrees above ambient with the motor running.
What are the IC temps without the fans on the stock IC? I'm curious because I just bought a 4 lb lower pulley today and I would have bought the snow kit today if they would have had it in stock. I was told I could expect 20 to 30 rwhp with the snow fogger. Is this not true ? My truck is basically stock also with flowmasters, k&n drop in and a superchips tuner and it currently produces 361 rwhp.

Dan_03Lightning,

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I would like to know which performance route is better also.

Thanks,
Cesar

Old 11-23-2005 | 05:37 PM
for street use he is correct.Just get some fans you will not heat sink the fluid on the street or on the strip.I have measured about the same 4 degrees over] after running at speed[140+] The big thing to remember is you MUST have airflow for the intercooler rad to work and not 15 mph traffic speeds.I made a few of the coolers you are talking about and they do work but they last at best 50 minutes of hard running time.Also remember that as the ice melts and the liquid becomes hot [from the fluid passing thru] IT will work the other way in that if you do get an open stretch as the fluid goes thru the cooler it will remove the heat from that liquid.STan

Old 11-23-2005 | 05:40 PM
Suspended
Stan what kind of cooler do u use on your track truck?

Old 11-23-2005 | 05:52 PM
Heres my thinking on this...

I could be wrong but here goes anyway
I haven't seen any proof that just increasing the size of our IC reservoir reduces charge temps significantly.
I don't think Rich or anyone else runs their IC fans all the time.
The Snow kit runs all the time, therefore when you go wot you get the desired results anytime, all the time.

Old 11-25-2005 | 06:14 PM
|
Learn something new everyday. Thanks Guys!

Old 11-25-2005 | 07:59 PM
Ok I have seen personally with my truck run on the dyno/street my heat exhanger ice cold to the touch. So why would I need fans? I am just learning about this, but from what Ican tell I think the intercooler needs help with cooling. Wouldn't a larger intercooler tank help with my situation? Please help with my confussion.

ie: 30-45mins of street driving and even 3 pulls on a dyno the heat exchanger is cold to touch but temps are still high. Bigger intercooler tank, bigger heat echanger, fans wha twill help?

Old 11-25-2005 | 08:29 PM
Talking

Stan what kind of cooler do u use on your track truck?

Here is a pic of what I made and run.

Like I said it works but if you were to run it on the street just run it empty since you would be filling it all the time.NOW if you are at the track then that is a different story!!!Stan

Old 11-25-2005 | 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl

No increased amount of cooling capacity is going to change that.

Rich
Rich-your exactly right. Fans on a stock H.E. will cool better than a larger H.E. without fans, although a larger heat exchanger WITH fans will cool better than a smaller one with fans.

Old 11-26-2005 | 09:48 AM
Larger capacity on the street probably will not do much, BUT filling the bigger tank with ice at the track......

Old 11-26-2005 | 06:13 PM
|
O.K. to summarize the general thought....

A fluidyne (or any larger capacity heat exchanger) combined with fans is the best route for the street.

I know where to get the larger heat exchanger.... can anyone help me with the fans? (where do I get those?)

Thanks again for the updated advice!

D-Day

Old 11-26-2005 | 08:12 PM
Try here, Dan. http://www.jaycorptech.com/ Go with the 5 inch for the stock I.C. and some run the 6 inchers for the bigger H.E.'s I would suggest you first measure the cooling fin area of whichever I.C. you plan on using. Personally, I think the 5 inchers on the factory I.C. for the street are more than enough.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on intercooler.....coooolers?