Lightning

Who Built your Motor and are you satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005 | 09:49 PM
Wouldnt you guys save a ton of money on engines if you had knock sensors installed?

Old 11-25-2005 | 10:43 PM
JLP

Old 11-25-2005 | 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by 03F15054FX4
Wouldnt you guys save a ton of money on engines if you had knock sensors installed?
Yeah, if the blower whine didn't drown them out!!

Old 11-25-2005 | 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by bobver
JLP
Another
Bryan

Old 11-25-2005 | 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by 03F15054FX4
You can’t use knock sensors with the supercharger due to vibration of the supercharger, or more specifically, the noise frequency/vibration. Knock sensors are stupid electronic noise frequency/vibration devices.

In other words all they measure or sense is a noise frequency/vibration. They can not distinguish what produced that frequency/vibration nor can they distinguish where that frequency/vibration originated from. One way to test knock sensors, while the motor is running, is to monitor the timing and then tap on the block with a hammer. If the knock sensor is functioning correctly you would see the timing being retarded.

Today’s knock sensors are as stupid as they were when they first came out. However today, with the assistance of the PCM and crank location sensor, the two sensors inputs can usually determine which cylinder or cylinders are “knocking” and thus retard timing when those cylinder/s fire.

The supercharger basically makes the knock sensors deaf…

Old 11-25-2005 | 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Any Vt Engines?
I've had ups and downs with them, but they are taking care of the downs. The bottom end has been great; hasn't showed any signs of smoking or knocking yet. I've got about a dozen equivelent of 10 sec passes on an 1/8th mile track, and a some hard street miles. And 4k miles on it now.

It would have been really helpful if we wern't across the US away from each other.

Old 11-26-2005 | 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport
You can’t use knock sensors with the supercharger due to vibration of the supercharger, or more specifically, the noise frequency/vibration. Knock sensors are stupid electronic noise frequency/vibration devices.

In other words all they measure or sense is a noise frequency/vibration. They can not distinguish what produced that frequency/vibration nor can they distinguish where that frequency/vibration originated from. One way to test knock sensors, while the motor is running, is to monitor the timing and then tap on the block with a hammer. If the knock sensor is functioning correctly you would see the timing being retarded.

Today’s knock sensors are as stupid as they were when they first came out. However today, with the assistance of the PCM and crank location sensor, the two sensors inputs can usually determine which cylinder or cylinders are “knocking” and thus retard timing when those cylinder/s fire.

The supercharger basically makes the knock sensors deaf…
Don't quite a few supercharged GM's use knock sensors?

Old 11-26-2005 | 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by fast1
Don't quite a few supercharged GM's use knock sensors?
They may and I was only speaking to the Lightning. Ford was not able to get them to function correctly due to the vibration of the supercharger. I don’t think Ford is the only one to every have problems with them but I could not tell you who has and has not been able to make them function correctly and on what applications.

Something that is interesting to think about is the fact that the speeds at which the supercharger is spun will create different vibration signals, or frequency signals, of which a knock sensor measures.

If you spin the supercharger at a different speed by modifying pulleys, and/or adding a different supercharger then you would, or could, change the frequency range, or vibration. Therefore, and dependant on how much of a change you made, you might be able to get the knock sensors to function correctly. It would be interesting to see someone experiment with that idea.

Old 11-26-2005 | 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport
They may and I was only speaking to the Lightning. Ford was not able to get them to function correctly due to the vibration of the supercharger. I don’t think Ford is the only one to every have problems with them but I could not tell you who has and has not been able to make them function correctly and on what applications.

Something that is interesting to think about is the fact that the speeds at which the supercharger is spun will create different vibration signals, or frequency signals, of which a knock sensor measures.

If you spin the supercharger at a different speed by modifying pulleys, and/or adding a different supercharger then you would, or could, change the frequency range, or vibration. Therefore, and dependant on how much of a change you made, you might be able to get the knock sensors to function correctly. It would be interesting to see someone experiment with that idea.
I've always wondered if a KB truck could use the knock sensor or not. I'd bet a turbo truck could use it; I think Frank was going to try it, but then his stock motor gave up.

Old 11-26-2005 | 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Any Vt Engines?
I have a VT shortblock that I installed about 2 years ago. Other than a little noisy on cold startup, its been a great engine.

But....I removed my heads after toasting a valve awhile back and saw some scarring on a couple of cylinder walls (from me killing plugs) so I decided to pull the motor.

I should be getting it back from the machine shop in another week or so, then I plan on building it myself this time.
I wanted to make sure everything is perfect for the Turbo install

Old 11-26-2005 | 11:19 AM
built by JLP

stage 2 cams, ported heads, kb...

16,000 miles on in less then a year and runs great

Old 11-26-2005 | 11:31 AM
Being the new owner of this truck, I second that - Dante's Modular Performance all the way

Originally Posted by camcojb
Dante's Modular Performance; VERY happy with it, runs great, uses no oil, no smoking, no noise.

Jody

Old 11-26-2005 | 11:52 AM
My first motor was done By Tommy @ Outrageous Performance. What a ***** motor that was( see my post of what Sal found). My new motor is a PSP long block. Don't have it back yet, but it's going to run really strong

Old 11-27-2005 | 11:35 AM
|
Nice

Dante's Modular Performance all the way
Lots of good things being posted by their products. Look at the latest results. New no Nos Record!!!

Old 11-27-2005 | 11:49 AM
|
post again

We have heard lots of great things about the JDM motor program out there, but with all the other vendors and tuners out there, you don't here a ton about how their motor programs are going. Post who did your motor and how things are going.
The reason for this thread is because WE DO hear alot about JDM's motor program, and WE DO NOT hear alot about ANY ONE ELES' except maybe JLP's. This is not a bashing thread so keep them off or I will ask the moderators to delete them. I'm simply curious as to what other companies are doing and how things are working out. It has nothing to do with Sal or Rob. After all, anyone who knows what happend knows the motor that Sal built for Rob DID NOT FAIL. Rob has problems in the head that was caused by other issues which have been yet to be determined, so all you PSP guys can relax.

We have already learned about Daunte's Perfomance and the great things coming out of there.....as recently as the new no nos et record!

Quick Reply: Who Built your Motor and are you satisfied?