Lightning

Ford wants to fix my L free

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005 | 09:14 AM
|
Ford wants to fix my L free

The question is what should I have them check. Last year I had the plugs done and they put the wrong ones in (AGSF22WM). My gas mileage and power have gone away. What could be wrong and is there anything in particular I should ensure gets checked? Its all stock. Thank in advance.
Dave

Old 11-26-2005 | 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by 02Bolt
Change the plugs and four coils yesterday. The plugs Ford put in it about 10k miles ago are Motorcraft AGSF22WM. Is this another # for the stock plugs or did the put the wrong ones in my truck. I'll know if the problem is fixed as soon as I pull my boat. Truck seems to run better so far. Hopefuly I get my mileage back
Thanks
Dave
I replaced the O2 Sensors with no luck. L is still down on power and mileage sucks. When I nail it, it pulls but @ about 3500 its got a stumble then it picks up again. Also feels like I'm making noise and not running like I used to. Fuel filter is changed with every oil change.Next up is coil packs. Do I replace them in pairs? I read where the cyls kinda work with each other or something. I also understand that #s 3&8 are the likely culprits is this true? How exactly are the cyls numbered? Do I replace the boots also? Thanks in advance for any help, I read alot of info on this site. Having a Stock L, I just never ask or post alot of unnecessary ??s.
Dave
Thanks alot. I've got 53k on mine. I bought 4 Borg Warner Coil Packs from Pep Boys for 42.99 ea. I ordered a set of NGKs part # 4477, TR5 Iridiums. I'm gonna do the resistance checks and try to find a bad coil. IF I don't find one I'm gonna change at least four. My L is stock except for Maggy cat back abd a K&N.
Dave

Dave
has any of that helped ???
I cant find any post where you talk about the results ???
Stumbling or missing is usually associated with what you've been attacking,
(plugs or coils), is it still stumbling (missing) ???

Old 11-26-2005 | 12:43 PM
|
It seems to pull a little better ( still hesitates @3500), but I still notice the boost gauge is elevated while on the highway and going up hills. It seems to take extra throttle. There has been alot of black soot on my ground effects every time I wash it. I wonder if my cats are clogged? EGR Valve? I've had what sounds like an exhaust leak since new that no one can find. I just want to make sure they check every and anything and fix it while its there. I'm just glad I kept it stock.
Thanks for the quick reply Rob
Dave

Old 11-26-2005 | 01:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Went back and read your posts. Didn't realize you are in CC. First of all there isn't a dealership in Corpus that I trust to work on my L. I do most of the work on my L myslef. If you want a descent dealership go to Spikes or Boggus in Mission, Tx, they are both SVT dealerships. Personally I go to Spikes, that is where I purchased my truck. Or go to an SVT dealership in San Antonio. I wouldn't let Champion Ford wash my lugnutz.

If you aren't running the stock plugs then that is probably the reason the power went away. If you are stock you need to be running AGSF-12FM1 (which is the same as MTCAGSF-12FM1) gapped at 0.042 - 0.046. I have a 4lber and 1715 microtuner and I run stock plugs gapped at 0.045. Tried the TR6's and I could definitely tell a difference so I went back to stock. The acceleration wasn't there as compared to the stock plugs and grunt off the line wasn't the same either. Don't get me wrong, the TR6's are great plugs but you don't need them for your application.

If you need a hand changing plugs or with anything on your L let me know, I will be more than happy to help you. I'm no expert by any means but I have learned my away around the L pretty good. Also we can use my microtuner to see if there are any codes. Just let me know.

Todd

Old 11-27-2005 | 12:57 PM
|
Thanks alot TX. The saga continued this morning. Started for the first time in 3 days and I hear what sounds like something hitting the fan. Looked around nothing. Fearing the blown plug, I started it and got a piece of 3/8 hose to use as a stethescope. Not the plugs. Noise was coming from the driverside front of engine. Drove about 13 miles to work and just as i get in the parking lot the noise stops. Now I can't get it to make the noise. Maybe it was the air pump making noise due to clogged cats? Anyone got any guesses?
Dave

Old 11-27-2005 | 04:45 PM
Clogged cats will cause power probs. Also check that your high out put fuel pump is working. There is a relay under the hood for it check that first.
Just a couple things to check. One more thing make sure you intercooler pump is working. If the IAII temps get high it will cause the truck to retard the timing and of coarse loose power.

Last edited by danoid5631; 11-27-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford wants to fix my L free