Lightning

Lightning Rip-Off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000 | 03:31 PM
|
Post Lightning Rip-Off?

Ugh. Looks like we've got rice-boy syndrome going on right here on F-150 Online.

https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000092.html

--update--
There are a few things that worry me about the kit:
1) If it looks like the Lightning too closely, people will mistake the imitations for the original lightning. That could have an adverse effect on the rep (and resale value) of the lightning. I saw a silver F-150 in dallas recently that I almost mistook for a lightning until I remembered that silver isnt out yet.
2) If people take the survey and indicate that they are interested in buying when they really dont plan to buy, the company could begin a production run of the kits and then demand would be way below the estimate. The company loses money and in the future might not be as willing to make new products for this market.

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 02-02-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000 | 04:03 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Smile

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

------------------
99 Lariat Normal Cab 2WD 120"WB 5.4 3.55LS, Tow,
Dark Toreador/Gold, Line-X
raoul_oba@hotmail.com
F150's of Virginia
Just cause we're from Virginia don't mean we're(well, you know)

Old 02-01-2000 | 04:53 PM
Blasphamy!!
the grill emblem is a rip off of my beloved cryco/jeffery-dahmler's 300m sedan, the rest of it may go in peace.

[This message has been edited by MRBBQMAN (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000 | 04:56 PM
Wink

Personally that's the look I was shooting for with mine. but I don't like the bumper or wheels. (I also don't like my wheels so don't take it personal) Grill looks nice though and mine is close. I don't think anyone is trying to imitate the lighting just add some pizaaz to the super cab that some of us need. Where's the wing?

------------------
Andthensometoo ®
"Moonlight Blue" 98 F150 SC XLT 2WD 4.6, 3.55 LS Tow Pkg. SUPERCHIP, K&N Airbox mod. w/ "Cool" intake, Mobil One Oil, Bosch +4's, Throttle Body Spacer Plate. Lund Fastback, Lighted visor, Runninng Boards, Crome Taillight covers, Polished Steel Fenderwell Moldings, Smoked Bug and Rain guards, Shelf-it, Carpet dash cover, "Andthensometoo" in silver Letters 3" tall on tail gate. Red Wings license plate in front, Red Wings license plate frame in back, Little Detroit Viper hanging from mirror, Oh yeah, and one "Blacked-out" grill.
Gonna get my Bed rails back on, Finally!
Couldn't find the right Polished steel design, so once I modify the powercoated ones I just bought, I will paint them.

Q: who wants my "Pocket Mount" chrome ones? Price:cost of shipping, or gas and maybe lunch if you live in S/E MI.

"Rocks don't move unless pushed, and neither do chevys!"

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/daytona/843/

[This message has been edited by Andthensometoo (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000 | 06:21 PM
nm

[This message has been edited by Lightning Boy (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000 | 06:29 PM
I like it...
What is wrong with copying the lightning, it's not like you penned the design, it is very good looking...

Old 02-01-2000 | 06:30 PM
Banned
Hey it's another F-150 owner & that has to say something. I can't really give the guy/gal flack, because the vehicle was done tastefully.

my 0.2 cents

Old 02-01-2000 | 06:55 PM
I would like to have the Duel exit skirting or eliminate the hole and have duel turned down tips just behind the rear wheels.

Old 02-01-2000 | 08:19 PM
Banned
Angry

Boy this is first time I have really gotten mad about what someone had to say.

The kit that you are looking at in the pic above (all except the front bumper cover 1999, and they have a 1997 and 1998) was made way before the lightning was ready for production.

Let me also say that I have no problem with anyone modifying there truck, car, bicycle, etc. any way that they fell looks good to them.

Nathan do you realize that your truck was based from the Roush Design. Does that make the Lightning a Rip Off of Roush??? I understand that you love your truck and think that everyone may be out to copy it, but I don't think that this is what is happening. Everyone is trying to do there own thing.

One last thought and I paraphrase from an e-mail I got not to long ago.

The reason that I love the F150 Online is that everyone with the totally tricked out trucks to the totally stock trucks is treated with the highest regard for having something in common - an F150 truck.

------------------
Mumbly also known as Buck
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Member of Fordified.
Black 1999 Stage 3 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flairside
Here are all the goodies: Kenne Bell Supercharger, Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Roush Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, F1 Cobra Hood, ******* Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window, and lots of other little odds and ends

Work rhigh@nortelnetworks.com
Anytime mumbly_f150@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000 | 09:00 PM
Banned
Angry

OK Nathan, I have really not had a problem w/too many people on here, but now I do with YOU !
You have PISSED ME OFF !

1) First off, "I & some others" LIKE this kit. Actually, the kit I want isn't even "this kit", it's just made by "this company". The kit I want is for the 97/98 models & it is the Side skirts w/the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheel on "both sides". Looks totally different than this picture.

I don't really care if you don't like this kit or think it's a "take off" of the lightning because like Buck said, this company has been making these kits before the lightning even hit the dealers.

What I have a problem with is that you are "INTERFERING" w/what "I'm trying to do" !
I don't know what you mean by "Rice Boy Syndrome", but you are directing it right to "ME" ! You better think about that ! Then, what I didn't even notice at first is the fact that you put a link to "MY POST" pretty much bashing what I want & my goal. THAT IS WHAT PISSED ME OFF !
What the hell were you thinking ?

If you think I have "Rice Boy Syndrome", whatever that is, then you should have gone about this a different way & emailed me ! You need to get your facts straight before you go insulting other members, especially members that you go to "rallies" with !

I hope you didn't influence people to "NOT" go fill out this survey, or to cause them to go fill out this survey & hurt what I'm trying to do !
I just can't believe that you didn't think about this before you posted it, & if you "did" think about it & did this, then we will have to have a little talk at the next rally !

This kit that is not even pictured is something that I "REALLY" want & just because you don't like it, doesn't give you the right to try & influence people against it.

I better stop here since I'm going to end up saying something I might regret... or not...
but I'm looking forward to your reply & hopefully an apology.

Next time, think before you post something like this !

Not to mention, I spent over 30 min. of my time today talking to this company & getting the information I did before I made my post !

I have always thought of you as a nice guy, I guess that is what surprised me the most !
SS

[This message has been edited by SS97Ford (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000 | 09:07 PM
Cool

Blackhawk's truck has a similar kit and it looks very nice! I actually would like to get a pair of those exhaust skirts for my truck. Anybody know if the pieces are available seperately?

------------------
1999 Black Roush-Lowered Lightning - w/Super Chip (YEEEOW!), JBA Headers, Power Surge air kit, AAD Cobra hood, carbon fiber dash kit, CD Changer, Towing Package,Grey Rhino, clear corner lenses.
http://www.zing.com/picture/ff/e0/8d/3/ffe08d30.jpg

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000 | 09:26 PM
Exclamation

asfdasfdas

Last edited by Burninout101; 11-19-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2000 | 09:35 PM
Boy, you really p***ed somebody off.
When it comes to this, I'm an expert(didn't want to say Engineer). Kinda overkill though. Nathan didn't say that much....

Well, I'll tell you. I come here to learn about my truck and correspond with others that have the same interests. Not to trash others.

Like my Momma always said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, go get me a beer".

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, clear corners, tow package, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost gauge, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w subs. 5-channel 300w Clarion amp., Polk Audio 3-way, 130w DX 7's, Muth signal mirrors, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/images/Light21.jpg
1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 02-01-2000 | 09:39 PM
Cool

Anybody ever notice that the Roush Racing Inc. truck, the Lightning, the Steeda truck and others are all based on the Ford F150? That's what makes truck ownership so much fun - the diversity of customizing your truck into something you want.

Lifted trucks, slammed trucks, long bed, short bed, supercab, crewcab, limo tint, no tint, bug guard - heck, add Chevy and Dodge into the mix. Imagine how boring it would be if we all drove Lightnings (well, you understand the point I'm not making very well).

Tom in Tacoma

(I'd be very happy with that white "rice-boy syndrome" truck)

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, Lund Premier Tonneau, K&N, Body-color painted Throttle Cover, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers up front, Polk Audio speakers in back, Superchip. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 02-01-2000 | 09:41 PM
Think of the drive to and from work if we all had one....!!!!

Quick Reply: Lightning Rip-Off?