Lightning

Rattle - need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattle - need help

Guys I have a *rattle* that I cannot pinpoint.

I've crawled all over/under the truck and I'm 99% sure it's coming from the oil filter / cooler thing bolted to the engine. (drivers side front 1/2 of engine and real close to the ABS unit)
The "rattle" is not effected by engine temp or load. Cold start, hot motor, WOT, idle just does'nt seem to effect it other than engine speed. (it does increase with engine rpm) It's not a repeating noise.. like a timing chain, valves, or piston slap. It's clearly a rattle and I'm pretty sure it's not internal to the engine. I've poked and prodded everything on the outside of the motor & exhaust with it running trying to find/feel the noise. Nothing seems to effect it at all. And I can't feel any abnormal vibrations.

Tell you what it sounds like... It sounds nearly identical to a loose washer attached to the exhaust. And it's pretty loud too. Having no cats on my exhaust I have a fairly loud setup. And this noise is noticable even in the cab! Outside and anybody can notice it.

btw: Over the last couple outtnings It's been getting louder and louder.

Anybody have experience with hearing this type of noise? Is there anything inside the oil filter/cooler thing that could make this sound?

Rich

Old 11-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich- Just a thought. If you have the dynatech long tube set-up (and I think you do) check where the diver's side midpipe turns around and under the bell housing. There is a support bracket there that bolts the the chassis. It cracks and sometimes breaks off the pipe. It sometimes looks like it is still attatched, but it may not be. This drove me crazy for a month before I found it. Hope you find it.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks man, No I still have stock (factory bolted on) manifolds, bassani cat-less mids, and a aftercat.

But that is the type of sound it's making.

Rich

Old 11-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Check your heat shields over the mid pipes. I had one rattle for a while and it drove me crazy.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
I agree with the heat shields. had same problem with a '97. I only heard the rattle at idle. There was a heat shield around the catalytics and inside there was a spot welded metal serial or ID plate that had fallen off and was rattling between the converter and the heat shield. I was able to open up a drain slot big enough to work the plate out.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 PM
i had a rattle on my 97 that i thought was a heat shield, sounded in that area. It ended up being one of the welds broke on one of the exhaust mounts drove me crazy for bout a month

Quick Reply: Rattle - need help