Lightning

Expedition to Lightning Engine Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2000 | 07:38 PM
Thumbs up

Finally have had time to check it out. It is a white Lightning, seems to be in better shape than my black one (less km). No underbody spray, but no winter/snow driving either (yet). He is still holding the price : Can$37,500. (This is Can$2,900 less than I paid for mine when new).

(604) 685-9773
(604) 230-7880 Cell

Old 02-04-2000 | 10:22 PM
|
Blacklight,

I'm not sure if Jesus has access to the net again but he was having some problems some time back.

Jesus got back from the US already and my understanding is he's decided to put off getting another for now.

Old 02-04-2000 | 10:48 PM
Exclamation

Thunder,
This is a big,big,big job. I built a 52 F-2 street rod from the ground up. It was a piece of cake compared to what you're talking about. The engineering involved is pretty intense. You've probably got to modify lots and lots of stuff, not to mention a lot of self engineering of custom parts that don't swap well-quater inch here, half inch there add up to huge headaches. My truck cost me $19,000.00 and I am not done yet. This is with a lot of junkyard (sorry, I mean salvage yard) parts. Not to mention the technology was largely from the 70's. This will be high-tech added to the mechanical engineering problems. (all in all, its fun!)
I don't mean to throw a wet rag on your idea, just wanted you to know what you're in for. If you have the $,(make that $$,$$$.$$),time,ambition, and willingness to learn, it can be done-just know how big a job it is. You will also have incredible bragging rights. Good luck.
Kent

------------------
99 White Lightning
#2277, built 6-11-99

Old 02-05-2000 | 12:46 AM
|
I know what you mean...

But considering that the Lightning and the Expedition share basically the same platform, and that what I intend to do is to gut the X and take out the engine and tranny and what not and replace it with everything from the L, I figured it shouldn't be so difficult. While not as simple as a bolt on/bolt off job, it should be nearer that than building from scratch (which is why I nixed the bolt on aftermarket s/c for now). If I get all the parts I need, I figure the only question marks left are (1) custom driveshaft (slightly different wheelbase, so maybe) (2) figuring out whether the L's computer can control the air suspension, and (3) figure out whether the L's computer can control 4WD (I heard there were plans to originally bring out the L in 4WD so maybe, although I'm willing to take it out altogether if I have to).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I do realize I'd have to get another car while Ford is working on the X...now if I can only convince myself that the E55 is worth the $$$ MB is charging for it...

Quick Reply: Expedition to Lightning Engine Conversion