Lightning

Weird Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005 | 04:28 PM
|
Weird Noise

Guys, My Truck has been making a weird noise for quite some time now. It happens right after startup and lasts for about 4 or so minutes. I have already installed Metco Idlers and replaced the remaining idlers with new factory ones. Should I replace the belt as well? It almost sounds like a clicking noise. Im all out of ideas and it is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance for the help, Kyle

BTW, The Truck is a stock 99L

Old 12-02-2005 | 05:03 PM
More then likley it's the timing chain tensioner(s).

Old 12-03-2005 | 04:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by ByByBird
More then likley it's the timing chain tensioner(s).
Thanks for the help. Is that a major repair? Im just a beginner when it comes to these trucks.

Old 12-03-2005 | 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kyle
Thanks for the help. Is that a major repair? Im just a beginner when it comes to these trucks.

You gotta pull all the idlers, pulley, harmonic balancer, fan, and the front plate on the motor. Best way to tell is get yourself a mechanics stethescope. When you hear the noise try to track it down. If it's the timing chain tensioner then you will hear it right at the front of the valve cover, down about an inch on the front plate.

I changed mine 3 times. Still had the damn noise. If you replace them, get the metal ones, not the new plastic ones and replace the guides too while you're in there.

Old 12-06-2005 | 02:00 PM
mine has a similar noise, cept you hear it all the time, and if your going about 45mph around 2,000rpms you can hear it real good, think it might be the timing chain guides making that noise??

Quick Reply: Weird Noise