Lightning

Bad vendor service

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005 | 03:13 PM
I wonder how much silicone is on Jl's truck.

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:10 PM
Silly-cone and duct tape...that'll fix everything and it's the perfect 'redneck engineering' cure.

Unfortunately RTV does seems to be the standard answer as of late...I've heard it recommended for use to fix the seams in the JLP airbox, suggested that a thin layer be used for the plenum and now to fix a leaking freeze plug. When you buy something from JL he should automatically just include a tube of the stuff with any of his products!

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 12-09-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2005 | 04:19 PM
I do find it interesting that out of the many forums I participate for my various cars, trucks, bikes, boats, etc this is the only one that does not offer a "vendor review" type of forum. It should be part of a standard agreement with the site moderator and supporting vendors. They can sell on here but they have to respond to feedback good or bad. Too many negatives feedbacks and they can no longer sell. Similar to ebay's feedback program.

On a side note I too have had a labor issue with a well known vendor on this site. I had to pay to have my transmission R&R'd three times. Nothing like $1200-$1500 in labor to sour the experience. The finial time was to reinstall the stock original trans. So unfortunately unless you live close enough for the supplier to do the work you stand little chance of compensation. Unless you decide to go the legal route. I chose to cut my losses and move on. Morally not right but logistcally the smartest choice.

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Seems that way too many businesses only want your money these days. Not just auto related transactions either. Service, whats that?

Anyway was wondering was your motor pulled to fit the heads?

I was under the impression that when fitting new heads you were supposed to machine the block on mod motors. Is that true?

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by Hilander
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Seems that way too many businesses only want your money these days. Not just auto related transactions either. Service, whats that?

Anyway was wondering was your motor pulled to fit the heads?

I was under the impression that when fitting new heads you were supposed to machine the block on mod motors. Is that true?
Motor was not pulled Highlander. They installed the new heads with the engine in..Since the motor was all back together and running we choose not to pull the motor apart to fix that leak. That is when the cab was lifted..I did not know anything machine work on the block for new heads to fit correctly..Hope your wrong about that... The block anyway only has a few thousand miles on it...We'll see...

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:45 PM
Talking I Love Jdm

MAN. I LOVE JDM NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM/ TOM

LIGHTNING FAST
2003 LIGHTNING POWERED BY JDM

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Struck in AZ
Silly-cone and duct tape...that'll fix everything and it's the perfect 'redneck engineering' cure.
When you buy something from JL he should automatically just include a tube of the stuff with any of his products!
That or vasoline!

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by whip
That or vasoline!
Touche my good man...touche!

Old 12-09-2005 | 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by JeffsLightning
Motor was not pulled Highlander. They installed the new heads with the engine in..Since the motor was all back together and running we choose not to pull the motor apart to fix that leak. That is when the cab was lifted..I did not know anything machine work on the block for new heads to fit correctly..Hope your wrong about that... The block anyway only has a few thousand miles on it...We'll see...
You should deck the surface of the block or make sure that the heads and block are flush. If you deck the block to much you can cause issues with timing chain allignment. Also its important to make sure if you use used heads to see if they are warped. What we do here to prep a block for heads is take a precision ground piece of steel and sand paper and go across the top of the block in a very precise motion to make sure the surface area is flat. Then we lay the gasket down, the head and torque it properly with moly lube. Assembling mod motors is not something to be taken lightley.

JimIII

Old 12-09-2005 | 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
I do find it interesting that out of the many forums I participate for my various cars, trucks, bikes, boats, etc this is the only one that does not offer a "vendor review" type of forum. It should be part of a standard agreement with the site moderator and supporting vendors. They can sell on here but they have to respond to feedback good or bad. Too many negatives feedbacks and they can no longer sell. Similar to ebay's feedback program.
Who pays the bills?

Vendors

Why do the negative posts get deleted?

b/c if they stayed on here Vendors wouldn't make money.

Vendors don't make money.

Site nolonger exists.

Thats how I see it. I along with others have had bad experiences with certian ones, we cant state it on here. Or it gets deleted.

Old 12-09-2005 | 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Odellintulsa
Who pays the bills?
Vendors
Why do the negative posts get deleted?
b/c if they stayed on here Vendors wouldn't make money.
Vendors don't make money.
Site nolonger exists.
Thats how I see it. I along with others have had bad experiences with certian ones, we cant state it on here. Or it gets deleted.
Vendor threads typically get deleted because they degrade into one vendor fanboy attacking another. There has NEVER been a policy of deleting negative posts. So long as you personally had the experience, you don't make the post intentionally inflammatory and you don't keep posting the same info on every thread, you can post your experiences bad or good.

As far as I know the site makes most $$ from Banner ads not the SV program.

Doug
PS most threads don't actually get deleted - they are moved to a closed section, that way we can track trouble makers and we moderators can review the actions of each other.

Last edited by Silver_2000; 12-09-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2005 | 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by JimIII@jdm
Then we lay the gasket down, the head and torque it properly with moly lube. Assembling mod motors is not something to be taken lightley.

JimIII
WWHHHHAAATTTT NO RTV????

Old 12-09-2005 | 09:49 PM
Ok Jeff we'll give our side of the story.I'm sure there will be those who agree and those who disagree.so be it! Jeff called us about purchasing a set of our heads back when his heads had a burned valve.he then said how he was upset with that vendor for not compensating him for the issue. i was like what? (i can't believe what i just heard!).We said yes we can send him a set of heads out today but he wanted 04 heads with no inserts. so i said no problem we can do that but it will take a few weeks to get them done..no problem..well after 2 days he starts e-mailing us about when will his heads be ready? I'm like i told you its going to take a few weeks. so then he changed his mind and said he would take the ones with the inserts. i said ok no problem. i notify my head guys and tell them never mind.i'll send him 1 of the sets here at the shop. well he e-mails me the next day and says i changed my mind i want them with no inserts! so i call my head guys back and inform them no inserts.2 days go by and he starts e-mailing me calling my cell and leaving messages when is his heads are going to done? I need them right away! I'm like man this guy is some kind of im patient. So i e-mail him back and said jeff i already told you that its going to take some time to do a set of heads up the way he wants. hang in there. i have 5 sets on the shelf with inserts if you want one of those he said no..ok no problem. well a few days later we had a family member my wifes mother suffer a heart attack. so we had to go to NewYork for 2 days..when i return i see i have numerous e-mails wondering why i'm not responding. and he's up set.and right away he goes on the board saying where's JL did he leave the planet? very imature! (as far as i'm concerned!) I get back with him and tell him i spoke to my head guys and we might be getting them by mid week.. i said if you want just cancel your order if you want! no problem here.. but he chose to wait.and i decided to sell them to him (in which i regret!)..Well the heads came in by mid week so i notify him and send them out..He gets the heads and tell's me his mechanics told him 1 head was missing a plug.I said which plug? make sure they don't have the heads reversed..He responds back to me with an attitude saying JL your not the only one who works on these trucks my guys don't have the heads on wrong! i'm like ok no problem i was just making sure trying to help. oh well. i said ok which plug is missing? he then responds JL You know there is only 1 size plug in these heads!. i'm like no there are atleast 3 different plugs. i'm simply asking which one so i can overnight you the right one..I said if the shop your using works on these trucks then why don't they simply get another plug from somewhere and put it in? Why is this such a big issue? If it were us we would simply go over the heads 1st Before we install them make sure all plugs are there if any are missing simply put it in. if things look good then we would install them!.he writes back its the principle here! I'm like what else could i do? overnight you the right plug! But he still wasn't happy. i said just return those heads and i'll refund you the FULL purchase price. which was $1,800.00 normally but i actually let him have them for $1,600.00 because how he was upset from his previous vendor so i helped him by giving him a $200.00 savings. funny how you don't here about those things!..Well he refused to return the heads for a refund and chose to install them. Now all of a sudden he e-mails me back saying he has an oil leak. i'm like ok where? he said in the back of the passenger head. i said check and see where its comming from. he said its comming from the small pressed in plug. we have NEVER seen a pressed in plug leak before but hey its possible. i said ok if it's there then simply clean it off and apply rtv to it and let dry! It will NEVER leak. if it does we'll cross that bridge when we get there..A simple 5 minute Fix! for about 10 cents! The oil leak is fixed he gets his truck back right away. But he e-mails me back and said no way! they are going to lift the cab pull the plug out and put a new 1 in! And i want

Last edited by JohnnyLightning; 12-09-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2005 | 09:50 PM
compensated for the extra labor! I said no way you do it my way 1st! and if it dosn't work that way we'll deal with that then..He chose to have them pull the cab put a new plug in. and then tells me you need to make this right! i need some d-10 bogarts lets work something out! I'm like NO Way!.The whole time he's been threaten me with getting on all the boards! I'm like do what you want.We offerd you a full credit before you put the heads on and you refused..as far as i can see he just wanted us to pay for the labor of his 1st problems with his heads.it was his plan from the begining! as far as i'm concerned!... Lets be honest here guys lets say if this happened to you or me and i had a choice of simply fixing the problem forever! in 5 min. for about a dime. or i had another choice of tearing the cab off and removing the plug and putting a new plug in and paying a bill up wards of $1,000.00 what would i do or you do? IF i'm the one paying NOT passing the Bill to someone else! I bet everybody would say i'll pay the dime and try the silicon 1st! before i spend a grand! But you see since he planned on having someone else pay the bill he says pull the cab and i'll make the other guy pay the Grand!.. Its just like when you go out to dinner and someone else is going to be kind enough to offer to pay the bill. what do you do? Take advantage of that and order the most expensive dinner there is? and say i'm NOT paying why should i care? Right?..we'll sad to say there are people just like that! and this situation is no different!..Jeff, you could have did it the way i told you and we could have seen how everything went if there was still a problem then we would have done what was needed then. But Pulling the cab was not the right thing to do 1st!.You refused to listen to me and decided to go the route you did. That was your choice! simple as that! Now for those who don't think you can get back there to fix it without removing the cab,thats not true there is plenty of room! so much room you can even get a camera up there to take a picture...So now you have my side like i said you might agree or disagree, thats up to you.But i know this we have delt with thousands of people and do our best to be honest and fair! But that dosn't mean simply agree with them no matter what! and start handing out the money!because they threaten you with i'm going on ALL the Boards! If he would have simply tried my way 1st! it would have saved alot of $ he would have goten his truck sooner and everybody would be happy!...JL

Last edited by JohnnyLightning; 12-09-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2005 | 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
I'm not going to comment on the press in plug or on the service, but I would like to comment on the screw in pipe plug issue...

The modular Ford head (as with 99% of any other head), uses a single casting that can be used on each side of the motor. On the front AND back of each head, is a machined area where the timing chain tensioner goes, which is oil fed. Inside this area is an oil passage, that feeds the tensioner. If you put a head on the motor, you have to plug that hole in the back of the head. In turn, if you took that head off and put it on the other side of the motor, you'd have to remove that plug and now put it in the other side of the head.

The point I'm getting at, is that the person or the shop doing the install should be familiar with this plug and know that it needs to be installed. It does not come installed from ANYONE, because the heads are universal and can be put on either side. This plug does not come installed on any aftermarket CNC head, nor does it come installed when you buy a brand new head from Ford. The only time a head will have this plug is if it's a used head that came off a running motor (which most CNC heads are, but they are usually removed during disassembly before machining).

So the missing pipe plug really isn't an issue, they all come like that. Just FYI.
Alittle off subjuct but can you e mail me a pic of ur new fresh air set up and a price? audio749@aol.com ty u Bob :santa:

Quick Reply: Bad vendor service