Lightning

Bad vendor service

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005 | 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Casey02L
Agreed
The big difference is the industry uses the RTV type stuff during assembly. This is after the fact. During aseembly the RTV fills in the imperfections ahead of, around, and to some degree behind the plugs. This is very effective at PREVENTING leaks. Fast forward to after the fact. Packing in RTV to stop a leak is absolutely wrong. In a sense you are just creating a dam. The leak and cause of the leak is still there. A band-aid fix at best. The propper solution would be pull the plug, apply some RTV and install a new plug.

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:26 AM
From what I have read JL offerred a refund before he put the heads on.

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:26 AM
I have been reading this thread and do agree with Silver-Bolt on this I use RTV to help in sealing push in plugs as well as oil galley plugs.BUT only on the outside of the motor not on the inside since if the plug [oil]does leak were is it going to go?Run back into the sump.This is all assuming it is a drip.As for putting the rtv on the outside of the plug I would of followed his instructions to the T and when it failled I would say 'I told you so' now what?I worked as a line mechanic and was told to do things that I knew would not last or even make it out the door.And took GREAT pleasure in saying that!!Even thou it would not of worked, it would take a whole 10 minutes to do and we would not be using up all of this bandwidth since the outcome would still be the same [oil leak]but atleast maybe Jl would of helped out because you did TRY he procedure first.STan

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:32 AM
Maybe Tim could jump in on the legal aspect of this.

JLP has this on their website: Johnny Lightning Performance provides manufacturers warranties only. Please contact us for more information.
All shipping and handling costs in connection with warranty service are the responsibility of the customer. This warranty is valid only at Johnny Lightning Performance. Improper repair or warranty service performed by someone other than Johnny Lightning Performance will void this warranty.

Johnny Lightning Performance DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF WRITTEN OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF THIS WATCH, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you. For additional questions concerning warranty service, please contact our customer service Department.

Of course, if this was a phone order, I'm not sure how a customer could know about these limitations. When I have ordered from JLP, i can't remember getting a warranty notice in the box or on the invoice - but I could be wrong.

-Mark

Old 12-10-2005 | 12:35 PM
lets say that he did put the rtv on the head as jl said. and it does hold, no leaks no problem. then a month later the crap comes out on a wot run, now new short block , oil fire , who knows, i would not want to cross that bridge,now is jl going to take care of that?

Old 12-10-2005 | 12:43 PM
i see what you are saying but like Silver said it is just going to be a dam.A full RPMs on a cold morning say 2k and it won't be holding anymore.These motors run close to 110 psi cold and there would be no way that fix would hold that more than a few days at best.Just ask JL for a warranty on how long it should last and see if he wil honor it afterwards.Stan

Old 12-10-2005 | 12:55 PM
Jeff, Ruslow, Silver-Bolt and others...

Would you please quit confusing the issue with common sense?

Sorry things aren't being taken care of the way they should have been.

Last edited by Odin's Wrath; 12-10-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2005 | 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by RDY2RAC
you'd be suprised how much rtv the oem's can and have used in building there cars. we used to apply rtv to cup plugs in transmissions all the time to compensate tool marks or gouges.

it may not be the proper way but it is an industry standard.
Then you are a hack. Industry standard my ***. OEM's use it in the right manner. I build trannies for a living, I have never had to use RTV unless that is how a pan, cover or case-halves are to be sealed. -Mat-

Old 12-10-2005 | 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
Maybe Tim could jump in on the legal aspect of this.
. . .
Johnny Lightning Performance DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF WRITTEN OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF THIS WATCH, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. . . .
[/I]

Of course, if this was a phone order, I'm not sure how a customer could know about these limitations. . .
You spotted all the right issues, Mark.

The repair costs would be considered consequential damages. The shipping and other mitigation costs would probably be considered incidental damages.

Disclaimers are generally enforced, but the issue is whether they were conspicuous to the consumer.

But in any event, the innocent party is required to mitigate damages - to fix their problem for the lowest cost, or at least not the most expensive option. In this case, the issue would be whether RTV was a reasonable repair choice (i.e., one with a fairly strong chance of success, taking into account the grossly disproportionate costs of the "proper" fix). If so, the buyer would likely be able to recover only the costs of trying the sealant. If not, JLP would be on the hook for costs of removing and replacing the plug. But if pulling the cab off is not a reasonable way to effect the repair, then JLP would only be liable for the costs of the reasonable way.

Sorry I can't provide a definitive answer, but we would need more facts and expert testimony to even make a tentative conclusion.

Old 12-10-2005 | 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by SVT F15O
Then you are a hack. . .
Daaaaamn.

Old 12-10-2005 | 02:55 PM
well said and well done TIM
mitchykins

Old 12-10-2005 | 03:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by kschaper
From what I have read JL offerred a refund before he put the heads on.
That was when I was going back and forth trying to decided if I wanted inserts or 8 thread heads. Once I decided and he shipped the next refund offer came after the motor was back together and I told him about the leak. That's when I refused to go the RTV route on stopping the oil that was running out of that improperly installed plug.

Old 12-10-2005 | 04:58 PM
I agree the RTV fix WAS NOT the way to go. In fact if you read some of the NHRA/IHRA rules you cant use RTV as gasket on certain things.

Kind of scary to think you might be racing against someone that uses RTV as a major fix!!

Sorry for your loss of $$ man... But like someone said a Oil Fire or worse could have came from this. I have seen RTV used on many things and it will hold for awhile. But you are on borrowed time....

I give you for fixing it the right way. Shame the vendor didnt back the product up...

Old 12-10-2005 | 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by SVT F15O
Then you are a hack. Industry standard my ***. OEM's use it in the right manner. I build trannies for a living, I have never had to use RTV unless that is how a pan, cover or case-halves are to be sealed. -Mat-

you know what you can kiss my a$$. i would never say that about you. i actually had respect for you but your just like everyone else on these boards, you think your above everyone else. i was just telling it like it is. i didn't say we just slap rtv on everything. but it is used more often than it should be and your right its not right.

Old 12-10-2005 | 05:21 PM
you know thats why i dont like to post in these topics. sorry for snapping but you have no right to call me a hack. i probably built more trannies than you in my 5 years at Van Dyke trans but no worries i'm building Mustangs now so i wont haveto be associated with building a hacked together trans.

later

Quick Reply: Bad vendor service