Lightning

Gonna go out and play in the snow with the L

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005 | 10:25 PM
I drove mine on the stock f1's without any major issues one year although taking off from a dead stop took a while. Running some winterforce tires with some weight in the bed and no problems now

Old 12-09-2005 | 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by soap
L's have limited slip rears. And obviously will spin both rear wheels. My Ranger has limited slip and will do the same.

--Joe

My F-150 has limited slip also and spins both tires.

Old 12-09-2005 | 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by l-menace
Remember our trucks a have a "quasi-posi" rear end. Meaning that both tires turn/spin. 99% of the rear wheel drive vehicles out there have a limited slip, meaning only one tire will spin.
So you'll do much better than them with different tires.

I think you mean an "open" differential.

Old 12-10-2005 | 12:01 AM
I have a set of 16" polished wheels with Blizzacks on them and they have never touched snow on my truck. I only used them when I had my wheels powder coated. HaHa. Who wants em>??? LoL
My truck is sitting in the garage. -Mat-

Old 12-10-2005 | 01:18 AM
To me, snow tires or not the truck is still gonna drive like crap. Just my opinion though.

Old 12-10-2005 | 05:35 AM
Leeann: I hear ya--I'm considering selling mine soon as well. I'll be heading to either UVA, Umich, or U of Southern California for grad school in august, more than likely. If I end up choosing UVA or Umich, those places have way too much snow for me to be comfortable in driving my truck.

either it'll have to go or I'll have to put it in storage/garage for several months each cold season and purchase another auto.

I think alot of us get in an "enthusiasm slump" when winter time rolls around because the performance-aspect of our cars/trucks/etc are worthless. all we care about is surviving trips to work/school/etc and back..... once the snow melts and the tracks reopen, the fire will be rekindled.

-Mike

Old 12-10-2005 | 11:45 AM
IMHO, anyone who wont drive in the snow for an other reasons then preservation, has never really driven in the snow! A SVTL is a truck, an if you drive it like one, the snow will have no effect on you. Slow the hell down and you'll be fine, as long as you don't stop on a hill with a SVTL you'll be alright in the snow. I am in WI, nothing but snow everywhere, and guess what, just like every Mustang I have owned saince I was 15, the only thing the winter snow will do is slow you down, don't drive like a jack *** and you'll be fine.

jmo as a Wisconsin driver..

ps. any one who thinks you can pass everyone out thier on the roads because you have 4X4, no this... 4 wheel drive is not going to keep you out of the ditch, but it will help you get out. Slow down in the snow and ice, you'll be fine!

I know my profile says I am in NC, but the is just where I am stationed at. I am in the Marine Corps, but I am from WI.

Last edited by HalfTime; 12-10-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2005 | 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by soap
L's have limited slip rears. And obviously will spin both rear wheels. My Ranger has limited slip and will do the same.

--Joe

I've never spun one tire, then had the other kick in. Both spin at all times.
Especially now with my new rearend

Old 12-10-2005 | 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Red03SVT
Leeann: I hear ya--I'm considering selling mine soon as well. I'll be heading to either UVA, Umich, or U of Southern California for grad school in august, more than likely. If I end up choosing UVA or Umich, those places have way too much snow for me to be comfortable in driving my truck.

either it'll have to go or I'll have to put it in storage/garage for several months each cold season and purchase another auto.

I think alot of us get in an "enthusiasm slump" when winter time rolls around because the performance-aspect of our cars/trucks/etc are worthless. all we care about is surviving trips to work/school/etc and back..... once the snow melts and the tracks reopen, the fire will be rekindled.

-Mike

THere isn't htat much snow in Michigan.. at least in Southeast Michigan.
Head up north or to the U.P. there will be several feet of snow all winter long. Here, (ann Arbor) a few inches usually lasts a few days, then melts

Old 12-10-2005 | 01:44 PM
HI!... Well my truck has seen every winter for the last 6 years and I have zero rust on my truck. Windsor is also the SALT capital of CANADA! lol! Here's a little vid of me and some of the local guys playing in the sno. Mines the white F-150 with the 3" CERVINI's cowl hood. All I can say is 425H.P (N/A), 3000 P.I stall, 4.10 gears and 305 NITTO's are fun in the snow! LOL!

http://www.lo-cash.com/videos/fluffy.wmv

Old 12-11-2005 | 09:23 AM
THere isn't htat much snow in Michigan.. at least in Southeast Michigan.
Head up north or to the U.P. there will be several feet of snow all winter long. Here, (ann Arbor) a few inches usually lasts a few days, then melts
I lived in Traverse City for a year and Ann Arbor for a year. I know. I friggin miss michigan and dislike texas right now......ehh....not all of texas, just waco.

-Mike

Old 12-11-2005 | 09:40 AM
I've never spun one tire, then had the other kick in. Both spin at all times.
Exactly.......that is the way limited slip should work.......spin both tires at the same time.

--Joe

Old 12-11-2005 | 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!...
Here's a little vid of me and some of the local guys playing in the sno. Mines the white F-150 with the 3" CERVINI's cowl hood. All I can say is 425H.P (N/A), 3000 P.I stall, 4.10 gears and 305 NITTO's are fun in the snow! LOL!

http://www.lo-cash.com/videos/fluffy.wmv

Neal
That was one KICK *** Vid

Old 12-11-2005 | 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Red03SVT

-Mike
Hell, get a V8 4x4 Explorer with RSC. My wife and I rented one of those when we honeymooned in Tennessee in the middle of December and that thing was a MACHINE - STOCK everything (like rentals would have anything other than stock). There was 8 inches of snow on the road in Gatlinburg TN. The snow plow couldn't even get up the mountain to plow the roads leading to our cabin. Our Explorer did. That thing went EVERYWHERE. We had a late check-in, so we had some unfinished business to take care of the next day. As we were there, we heard that there was a couple stranded in the mountains on the other side of town. We went over to help and watched an old Chevy CK snow plow with chains on ALL FOUR tires not even get 1/4 the way up to those people, slipping and sliding and grinding the hell out of the road/snow/black ice/pavement. We stopped and told the guy who was wisely NOT in the CK that we came to help and could give it a try. The guy radioed to the snow plow who came down and pompously told us that there was no way our "little Ford" was going to get up the mountain. About 30 minutes later, both of them were eating their words. Had I had my camera on me, I would have taken a picture of their faces as we were coming back down - I was thinking in the meantime that would have made a HELL of an Explorer commercial.

We came back home and bought one as a result of that.

Old 12-11-2005 | 06:32 PM
Brilliant Video Guys

That was awesome

Quick Reply: Gonna go out and play in the snow with the L