Lightning

New Guy In Town

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005 | 03:29 PM
|
New Guy In Town

Im new to this Page, so I wanted to say hey first off. Second off, I was looking to buy Package E from Rpmoutlet.com it comes with:

Throttle Body
Cold Air Kit
Plugs
Choice of lower pulley
Belt
Diablo or Superchips Programmer
Tensioner pulleys
All for $990.00. Now, with some traction bars, and some good meats, that should wake my truck up BIG TIME, right?
What do you guys think?

Old 12-10-2005 | 04:26 PM
The only problem with going with RPM outlet is that they are a bunch of hacks. They'll send you the wrong size belt with your pulley, and then make you pay shipping to send it back and get the right one.. just another way to cheat you out of your money. Also you get the generic tune on the pred/SCT which has been known to kill motors due to the agressiveness of the tune... I'd go with a 4 or 6lb pulley, cold air kit, tune and Factory Tech Valve Body from one of the major tuners.. should net you mid to high 12s in good weather...

Old 12-10-2005 | 04:52 PM
|
Birdy111 i take it youve had a bad experience with them. It just seems like there price's are so good. Anyways, what do you meen by Generic Tune? I thought you could tune to the specs you need for the most part. Can you clear me up a bit, and let me know who else i could deal with (Major Tuners).
Thanks

Old 12-10-2005 | 06:16 PM
Welcome to the board! Use the search option. There is a ton of information on here.

Old 12-10-2005 | 06:28 PM
Welcome to the board and yes even those slight mods will wake your L wake up considerably.

I agree with the comment above, you may spend a few more bucks, but I would recommend you stay with one of the supporting vendors - they all know their *****. The mail order tune is option B not A. Ideally you want a custom dyno tune and I would travel a fair distance to obtain one - if that is an option - if not stick with a vendor here on this sight and remember you get what you pay for.

JLP, PSP, JDM have been tuning for years and based on your mods they can send you a "mail order" tune - again option B - try to get that dyno tune, because every L is unique!

Welcome again and good luck. With the right rubber on the rear you might even get away with no traction bars.

D-Day

Old 12-10-2005 | 08:48 PM
|
Thanks for all your help. Does anyone know of a good dyno shop in northern Ohio?

Old 12-10-2005 | 09:48 PM
WELCOME!!
I have one transaction with RPMoutlet, and had 0 problems. But this was before I found this site, NLOC, SVTperf. Had I known about the vendors I would have definetly purchased everything from them.
LFP has excellent prices on a power package that has what you really need. You could probably do without the TB. Do some research on the mods that youre interested in. Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:28 PM
Beware of RPM OUTLET... if you do a search under their name, you will find several people that have been screwed by them.

Northern Ohio? Well you can always visit us in Detroit, we have several tuners here.
Livernois (nationally known) Advanced has Lidio who is legendary for modular motors. There's also Pauls Hi Performance in Jackson (he's always in Magazines)

Or you can get a mail tune from PSP. THen go to a dyno and get numbers and a/f ratio, send him the info, have him tweak the tune, then drive to NY and have him dyno tune it to perfection. That's what I did.

Old 12-11-2005 | 01:30 AM
sorry guys gotta disagree.. everytime i have used RPMOutlet.com, i have never had any issues with the products or customer service.. could i be the only one?? dont order the package from them expecting to get the power they claim, you will not see those numbers to the wheels, i thought the same thing at first.. other then that the customer service is good.. the prices are pretty good too, sometimes they will price match or even go lower to make the sale.. just my 2cents... good luck and welcome..

Old 12-11-2005 | 03:01 AM
I ordered the exact same package from RPM Outlet when I first got my L...No issues with shipping or incorrect parts, but the customer service when I ran into an install problem really sucked. The guy that I spoke with acted like a stoned high schooler; didnt really know much of anything. I wound up figuring the problem out myself, and would recommend that you have someone else to help you out in case of issues like that. Other than that, all the parts were of good quality and undamaged, and shipping was quick. As others have said, you get what you pay for...

Steve

Old 12-11-2005 | 02:58 PM
|
Can you run a 6lb lower and tune with a diablo, xcal, or others? dont they only support like 13lbs of boost?

Old 12-11-2005 | 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by 5.4HorroR
Can you run a 6lb lower and tune with a diablo, xcal, or others? dont they only support like 13lbs of boost?
ive ran the 6lb lower with throttle body and CAI.. for well over a year.. and i had long tubes with full exhaust if that helps ya..

Old 12-11-2005 | 04:03 PM
I have orderd numerous times from RPM outlet. NEVER had a problem. I asked them about the d/s loop hitting and they were honest and said you can put 2 washers on the bolts to get it to clear the bassanii. Some will sell you something, you get it and have to realign your firewall/rtv/cut to get it to fit.

Old 12-11-2005 | 07:10 PM
I bought my SCT Excal 2 from JDM. I installed a 6 lb lower and some plugs. A few other little bolt ons (heat exchanger, breather, 170 stat,etc...) and the truck ripped a 12.57 on F1's. I had it dyno'ed by JDM 2 weeks later. It pulled a 401hp and 515 tq on the "mail order tune" AF was 10.8 . Then Jim SR did some adjustments on the dyno and after 4 pulls it put down 420hp and 535tq and AF was now 11.5.

So a mail order tune from a reputable tuner is well worth it because they have fine tuned these tunes for our mods so many times. Although every truck is different and may react different to the mods you add. Dyno tuning will make it safe to drive and race without sacraficing your motor.

Old 12-11-2005 | 07:43 PM
|
Thats quick for what little coin is invested! See, I live in an area where everyone seems to have a Subaru or a SRT4 or turbo Eclipse's, but not really any V8's that run around my area can hold there own. I had a 97 cobra and still got beat up on more often than not. Well, I'm thinkin my first mods are gonna be a 6lb lower, thermostat, SCT Excal 2, CAI, pair of LakeWoods, and a Factory Tech Valve Body. That should put me well in the 12's on a nice day, specially when my new MT's get here about Christmas Time(I peaked!) Hopefully I can get away with no dyno tune for a while.

Quick Reply: New Guy In Town