Lightning

New Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2000 | 05:11 PM
|
Thumbs down New Problem

When I got in the truck this afternoon it started fine and drove fine untill I gave it a little gas and then it sounds like it is missing on one bank on the engine. All wires and sencors are connected but from about 1/3 throttle on it sputters. Any ideas? Scott

Old 02-14-2000 | 11:49 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I hope you are not referring to any plug wires... Are you chipped?

Old 02-14-2000 | 11:57 PM
This engine is suppose to cut off half the cylinders during overheating-any heat problems?
Kent

------------------
99 White Lightning
#2277, built 6-11-99
52 F2 Street Rod built from scratch-yes by me!

Old 02-15-2000 | 12:00 AM
Scottodog,

This is just a shot in the dark, but there has been talk of a TSB coming out on a leaky heater core hose on the firewall that drips onto the plug closest to the firewall, shorting it out, and causing some pretty stiff missing probs. This is an apparantly known issue w/some of the earlier model F-150's and is supposed to be addressed soon, if not already.

There is also a wire that runs very close to the AC evaporator (I think) that can cause missing and stumbling as well. I never heard the absolute answer to that one except somebody came up with idea to move the wire away from the evaporator .

This is all coming right off the top of my head, and my memory may be faulty on the details. It has been discussed here, I would suggest doing a search on A/C and see what comes up.

Hope this helps....

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 12.857 @103.48
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 100 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars; Bassani headers;Goodrich T/A Drag Radials; Muth Signal Mirrors, inbound

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 02-15-2000).]

Old 02-15-2000 | 08:03 AM
|
I'm thinking mabey I got a tank of bad gas. When I smelled the exhaust it smells like old gas. After work I drove home and it didn't do it cold like when I came to work. After it warmed up I got on it from a stop light and it ran great untill second gear and then it started stumbling again. I dont have a chip and it did it cold and hot. It idles and goes fine to about 1/3 throttle. I'll put some dry gas in and a new tank of gas from another station and see what happens. Has anybody ever got bad gas before? wouldn't it run bad at idle as well as full trottle? Scott

Old 02-15-2000 | 08:33 AM
Unhappy

I had the number 4 coil / heater hose drip problem. It was much the same as you descibe. I too put in dry gas--didn't help. Yes the exhaust smelled gassy but thats because it was missing and blowing gas through the exhaust. Finally after days of this the check engine light went on. Dealer new of the problem and even stocked the coil pack. They should replace the plug too. The factory didn't tighten up a clamp properly and after a while a very small leak starts with one of the heater hoses. It drips on the #4 coil and gradually shorts it.---Bob

------------------
99 EB Expedition with all the perks, Rhino Step Bar, Ford Bug Shield,More to come...

Old 02-15-2000 | 08:43 AM
|
I have been smelling that sweet smell like coolant leaking. I've been looking but haven't found any and haven't lost any fluid level. Thanks I'll look to see.

Old 02-15-2000 | 08:49 AM
|
You guys are great. Looks like the truck will have to go in the shop. I just looked at the right aft coil and its covered with coolant. Thanks Scott

Quick Reply: New Problem