Lightning

2 quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000 | 06:33 PM
I like the plug idea...but my truck is white. arghhh. Hmm would it cost a lot to have them professionally filled and painted?

Old 02-15-2000 | 06:52 PM
Duck01, You're right that a front plate spoils the looks of the front end, but you're also correct that they are required in Texas. It's not a common ticket to write, but you can get one. Your call.

Old 02-15-2000 | 09:26 PM
Duck01,

Speaking with tremendous amounts of decal removal experience (numerous snowmobiles and ATV's with warning encyclopedia's all over the machines). DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN!!! It will blister the paint for sure. Do not use a hair dryer either, it will not dissipate the heat evenly through the decal, adhesive or the body of the vehicle.
Put the vehicle in direct sunlight and leave it there for about an hour, that way the heat will dissipate uniformly through the decal, adhesive and body. Hopefully the air temperature when you do this will be 75 degrees or higher. Make sure the surface is completely clean (use a California car duster). Remove the decal, if warm enough it should peel off in one piece. After removing the decal, use 3M Decal Adhesive Remover (this will NOT damage your paint at all). You can purchase it at your local auto body paint supply. After decal removal wash the surface. Sorry for the long post, but I've done this plenty of times, so I wanted to share the knowledge in detail

[This message has been edited by Peter B (edited 02-15-2000).]

Old 02-15-2000 | 09:51 PM
Banned
Duck01,

I live in Dallas and this is my what I do, I keep the front plate in the passenger’s bottom door map compartment, this way if I ever get pulled over then I can point to the plate and state that I have to drill through the bumper to install it and this would decrease the resale value of the Lightning.

Then the lie, 'I’ve ordered this aftermarket product made from the same glue that holds, what else, the same back advertisements on the tailgate and as soon as it arrives my plate will be on, officer,'

But I have never been pulled over here at all, in fact I've passed the cops in the adjacent lane doing 40 over and they don’t even look at me waving at um, I usually think if I’m busted I might as well distract um! Maybe it works, (waving) maybe it doesn’t, probably ther're just racing to check a home security system?

Whoooo Hooooo!

Old 02-15-2000 | 09:53 PM
I use a hand held hair dryer. Gillete brand I think. Never had a problem or a blister.

Jeff C.

Old 02-15-2000 | 10:06 PM
Angry

Here in California, all motor vehicles are required to have a front license plate affixed, except motorcycles. (Veh Code Section 5200)
Think about the new C-5 Corvettes, has anyone seen a front plate on those?
All of the excuses wont work unless the enforcement officer has some common sense and doesnt cite you. How can anyone force a C-5 or L owner to put on a front plate? Answer, as easy as writing a ticket!!

Old 02-15-2000 | 10:18 PM
asfdasf

Last edited by Burninout101; 11-19-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2000 | 10:27 PM
Wink

I guess I had a great dealer...

They called me when my truck came in and DIDN'T TOUCH A THING ON IT. I mean they literally rolled if off the truck and parked it. No front plate holder, nothing, so I got to make up my mind about holes being drilled, which of course I didn't.

You 2000 guys might want to ask your dealer not to touch your truck. I even rolled my off the lot with the plastic covering still on it...

Brad

------------------
* 99.5 Black Lightning (The fast color I don’t care what Christy Ann Thinks)
* Factory CD Changer
* Class 3 Towing Hitch
* Factory Tonneau Cover
* 8" Bazooka Tubs
* Kenwood 80 watt *2 amp
* 50% Window Tint
* Viper 550 Alarm w/ remort start
* Often found in the bed: 98 Yamaha Banshee/Pro Design Cool head/ Toomey T-5 Chrome Racing Pipes/ Wiseco Power Pistons / Boyseen rad valves

Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown. 99 Lightning, the best of both worlds!

Old 02-16-2000 | 01:46 AM
Right, PD, but I live in CA, too, and I haven't had a front plate on since 1986, and have never been cited for it. Now that photo enforcement is more common, some of the municipalities using it are enforcing the front plate law. This is bogus, though, because the camera takes picture of rear plate as well. Port Hueneme started issuing citations, but then some smart *** reporter went into the police station parking lot and took pictures of all the cop's cars that didn't have front plates. I think they have backed off, now. For those like me who have not received your L yet, drilling out those dimples in the bumper is a dealer prep job, so make it clear to your dealer that you do not want the front bracket installed. I think if you get stopped later and the cop wants to make an issue out of it, you have a better chance of talking him out of that citation if you can show that you don't have a place to mount a front plate. My experience suggests, though, that this should never be an issue.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'92 Civic Si, Centerforce Dualfriction clutch, no front license plate.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Sugino AT crankset, Campy brakes (I think, hard to tell underneath the protective coat of grease and dirt).

'98 Honda "Harmony" 5.0 h.p. mulching mower, stock.

2000 silver SVT Lightning on order (the lawnmower will have to go).

alphadoggy@jetlink.net

Old 02-16-2000 | 11:22 AM
|
Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info. Sounds like I will be calling my dealer today and telling him NOT to install the front bracket. I've seen too many C-5s, WS6s, and other beaters w/out a front plate. If I get stopped, I figure I can BS my way out of a ticket.

I'll also work on removing the decal per ya'll's advice. If PeterB's sun trick doesn't work (it should get plenty hot here...already had several days over 80), I'll move up to a bigger gun.

Once again, Thanks.

DUCK

------------------
Build the Hell outta Bonfire 2000!

Old 02-16-2000 | 11:42 AM
Here's my two cents worth. An earlier post correctly listed Calif. CVC 5200 as the citable section for a front plate. In California it's not just a finable offense, it is also a "fix-it" ticket. In order to pay the fine, you must affix the plate in some fashion to the front area of the vehicle. Then you must present the vehicle for inspection and sign-off by any law enforcement officer. This must be done before the courts will clear the citation from your record. It all boils down to common sense and the descretion of the officer. however, what it does provide officers is what is referred to as "PC" or Probable Cause for the detention of you and your vehicle. Does not matter if your vehicle is equipped with a bracket or not, it provides him a lawful reason to detain you, and hopefully find something else wrong with the vehicle, or you..........license status, warrant check, etc. Be careful out there, and by the way, I removed the front brackets from both my Cobra and my Lightning..........

------------------
Mark Swaim
1999 Lightning (sold)
1997 Cobra (deceased)
1993 Cadillac Allante

Quick Reply: 2 quick questions