Lightning

1/4 mile performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-1999, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/4 mile performance

Hello all,

Made a few runs at the strip last night and had a best of 13.92 @ 98.56 mph. Felt pretty good about it and it seemed to get alot of attention. The only other pickup that came close was an old Syclone that ran 14.40's.

Alot of people seemed interested in the truck...I guess the airing on TNN's "Trucks" really helped.

Later,

Collin

Old 06-18-1999, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13.92!! That's great. I gotta get a ride in one soon. I try to tell the Shovie guys this at work and they think I'm full of it. I have to get these goons some proof somehow.

------------------
'97 XLT Reg. Cab, 4.2V6, 5spd, Superchipped, Lund Deflector, Dash Mat, MagnaFlow Muffler, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Edelbrock Shocks, Duraliner, Extang Saber Tonneau, Bell-Tech 2" Rear Drop, Amer. Rac. Atlas Wheels Clad in 275/60/17 Eagle GTII. Likes straightaways, loves twisties.

Old 06-19-1999, 10:04 AM
Colin,

An excellent performance! You may want to consider a SuperChip for your Lightning. The results may be quite dramatic for your 1/4 mile ETs and speeds.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The Z-71 Eater!
Wedgewood & Denim "Blue Lightning" SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK
Man, I got it all!

Old 06-19-1999, 10:33 AM
PFA
Went to the track on wed. I ran a best of 14.32 @97.21MPH. I had only 1800 miles on it when I ran. There was another Lightning there, his best time was a 14.00. He had about 4000 miles on his. Our last run we ran together. We were pretty close out of the hole, but after that he slowly pulled away all the way down the track. I ran a 14.41 and he ran a 14.05. I'm hoping the only difference is that his was more broke in than mine.

------------------
'99 WHITE LIGHTNING

Old 06-19-1999, 03:18 PM
hey collin,how many miles are on your truck?

Old 06-19-1999, 10:10 PM
G-TECHED, it again this am about 70drgf, put it at 5000 lbs w/gas & driver, 329 rear wheel hp. the more i drive this truck the more i like it.

Old 06-19-1999, 10:49 PM
PFA
Dunbarton,

I talked to him every time we each ran. He had no mods done to his. We both tried experimenting with taking out the air filter and pulling off the vaccuum hose, this was suppose to give us full boost all the time. I didn't notice any difference in performance on mine though. We also ran with our tailgates down. I did happen to have a '99 Cobra throttle-body on hand to try out. It has the same size bores, but it also has two extra holes that are always open. They are about 1/4in in diameter. This produced an idle of ONLY 3000 RPM. Needless to say the brakes heated up from trying to hold the truck from moving. I went ahead and ran with only a 14.70 @ 93.91MPH. I've got another that I'm going to experiment with later.
PFA

'99 White Lightning

[This message has been edited by PFA (edited 06-19-1999).]

Old 06-19-1999, 11:00 PM
Banned
this post intentionally left blank

[This message has been edited by Ford man (edited 11-14-1999).]

Old 06-20-1999, 12:25 AM
PFA,

You're no slouch either! Did you talk to him? Did he have any mods done?

You gonna get SuperChipped?

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The Z-71 Eater!
Man, I got it all!

Old 06-20-1999, 07:32 AM
BBQMAN, PFA,

BBQ,

I snuck over to the Dodge Ram site and some interesting notes were observed. Some of them have the G-Tech and they took them to the 1/4 mile track. All observations placed G-Tech times at 1 to 2 tenths of a second faster than the trap ETs.

Now that may not seem like a lot but 1 to 2 tenths with a Lightning is significant. I don't know whether the G-Tech would also show favorable in RW hp however.

I believe some of the guys have also taken their G-Techs to the Atco, NJ track but have not spoken to any for their comparisons of track ETs vs. estimated G-Tech ETs.

PFA,

Keep in mind that I am not an expect with supercharger/turbo boost but there seems to be some problems with consistency on the Lightning supercharger boost pressures. This may or may not be the difference with you and the other Lightning ETs.

For what its worth, I would talk to Mike Troyer about a SuperChip designed for the Lightning. It may give you consistent maximum boost and a significant improvement to your ETs. It may also stop the need for mechanical experimentation which can be a chore these days. If you guys have never talked to Mike Troyer as either a SuperChips expert or a gentleman, you are in for a very informative conversation.

You can also make a direct comparison for all with pre/post SuperChip ETs. I personally believe these Lightnings can easily run mid/upper 13s ETs all the time and believe a SuperChip should do this quite easily, and I am speaking from experience with a standard '99 F150 (no, NOT 13s ETs!).
It's just the difference I have seen on my own truck but the Lightnings have so much more to offer in tweaking performance.

I know it's easy to spend your money for you concerning a SuperChip, but believe me if I had a Lightning, I would run to the phone regarding its purchase. You guys have quite remarkable trucks!

------------------
Man, I got it all!

Old 06-20-1999, 08:40 AM
i was very sceptical of the g-tech b4 i bought it, hot rod magazine tested it "at" a nhra cert dragstrip for variation, the worst variance was an actual 14.88 showed 14.80 on the g-tech. trap speeds were off because the g-tech measures speed at the last inch of the 1320, where the strip averages trap speed. for $130 is the best thing you are going to find to let you know if everything is right or something has gone wrong with your vehicles performance

Old 06-20-1999, 10:24 AM
Really Old "Member"

Morning guys and gals:

1. What is a G-Tech, and where can I get one. Understand limitations, just want something to keep of performance in general and it is a long haul to a drag strip.

2. Check my posting on this thread under 99.5 Lightnings first impressions for a recap of my talk with Mike Troyer.

I think we are very close now to performance variations linked to differences in individual ECMs handling of spark retard/boost bleed off/total boost.

It may be that Mike will get a lot of business out of this if, as I understand it, only a reprogrammed chip will change what your truck sees through the ECM.
My only hope is that he can come up with a program that will overide the main installed one and give us all a reasonable power level that would be above even the highest stock calibration.

Bill Murray

Old 06-20-1999, 11:00 AM
BBQ, Bill Murray,

BBQ,

My post to you guys was not meant to put down the G-Tech at all and if it is this accurate it certainly is worthwhile in saving the time and expense of heading to the track all the time as Bill Murray agrees.

What information do you need to plug into the G-Tech before using it? Where did you get it? I am more interested in a G-Tech the more I read about it in the posts.

Bill,

It seems we both agree about the differences in the Lightning performance. I don't know why the boost pressures vary so much with the Lightnings, maybe it's Fords setups or each truck needs its own program for optimization.

While these performance differences are not drastic they are significant enough from reading Collin's 1/4 mile times vs PFA's and his friends Lightning ETs.

I want to see these guys give a C5 'vette all they want at the strip and believe these Lightnings are capable of it at 1,000 lbs more!

And please, I am not putting down the 'vettes at all, just want to see them have some competition (and from a pickup truck)!

------------------
Man, I got it all!

Old 06-20-1999, 01:32 PM
Dunbarton,
No problem, i did not take that way anyway, you guys can get a g-tech anywhere, summit, jc whitney, jegs, it is like a radar detector that stick to windshield, you can test hp, 1/4mi, 60-0 braking in ft, 0-60 in time, g-forces, it is not intended to take the place of anything, only to give you benchmarks on your vehicle to compare (mods, chips, air filters etc)to see if manuf is selling you a product as advertised or just snake oil. everything i have tested with it has been fairly accurate, and just like the real world, the figures are slightly different each time you test the same thing. get one, it's a fun toy.

Old 06-20-1999, 03:55 PM
I wouldnt trust the G-Tech for HP. If ya saw Trucks! they tested a lightning and put out 320bhp on the dyno. If a lightning owner here got a GTECH, run a HP test and tell us what ya get.

FaSt46TrItOn

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x2, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter, soon Superchip and K&N GEN II.

Fast46Triton

The "Shovie" eater!

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile performance