Lightning

Cheap Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000 | 02:35 PM
|
Nice idea, just don't want to give up the lights.

------------------
99.5 White Lightning.
#3299, Built 8/5;
Snuglid, Bedrug, PSP filter, window tint (limo back, 70% sides).

Old 02-20-2000 | 12:38 AM
Lightbulb Cheap Ram Air

I'm sitting at worked sorta bored so I noticed how nice the fog light openings in the bumper are. What do Ya'll think about the old flex hose with a T prior to the conical filter. Maybe a cold air box. the older Lightnings were fitted with one from the power stroke, the box that is. Just a thought I really haven't looked for specific routing of the hoses.

Jeff

------------------
Red 99 Lightning #812 4/30/99 (Totaled)
Black 99 Lightning #1542
5/25/99
White 88 SVO Merkur Xr4ti
Sand Gold 88 Xr4ti
Silver 95 SHO
Red 99 Prelude SH adopted

Old 02-20-2000 | 12:38 AM
edit

Last edited by Burninout101; 11-19-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2000 | 05:10 PM
Since the intercooler radiator doesnt take up the entire lower grille that might not be a bad idea...

Old 02-20-2000 | 05:59 PM
Really Old "Member"
I too have pondered these same possible routings (I do not use the fog lights for example).

But.......and a serious but, Ford pays guys $50K per year to do serious computer simulations on air flow/temperature/density and all of that to come to the stock layout.
Half a dozen good companies do the same research that results in what we can buy over the net or in a speed shop that do a better job than the stock setup.

I honestly would not have a clue as to how a ducting arrangement to, for example, the fog light openings would help or hinder our performance.

Maybe we have some engineers on the board, maybe Sal knows something, I'm not sure, but I would like to get a "professional" opinion.
Bill
'

Old 02-20-2000 | 06:57 PM
I think most "ram air" systems are used based on the theroy that they should help. Take the Ford diesel "ram air" tube used on the first gen trucks. Almost everyone with a first gen truck has used it, but you won't see a spec of power from it, it just "makes sense". My opinion on the posted ram air set up is that I don't think it would be a good idea. When you're driving on a blacktop surface, the hottest air is what is coming off the road (or track). So having a low pick up for the ram air, scoops the hot air coming off the road. Just my thoughts...

------------------
SAL (E-mail- PowerSurgePerf@aol.com)
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 02-20-2000 | 06:58 PM
Talking

.02 Worth
I don't think you will find a cheap ram air setup that you can live with everyday and in all conditions. The auto engineers spend a lot of time designing an air induction system and there are many constraints that they have to deal with: packaging, noise attenuation, water ingestion / snow packing and lets not forget performance. Plus I may have left some items out too. Ducting air from the fog lamp location is fine for your brakes but could spell trouble for your intake system, warm /hot air at the pavement plus the potential of hydro-lock if you ingest water from a sudden down pour. Maybe the best way is to spend the time reworking a fibreglass aftermarket hood or wait for one to become available.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

[This message has been edited by BABolt (edited 02-20-2000).]

Old 02-20-2000 | 07:16 PM
Really Old "Member"
BaBolt:

Yup, darn it, I forgot the hood. But then the question is from the front, from the middle (bulge) or from the rear.

Again, bazzillions of bucks have been spent on this question and we have a fairly unique vehicle here. But...let's keep the thread going and see if we can come up with a workable solution.

Bill

Old 02-20-2000 | 07:16 PM
I like the theory also of the fog light openings for air intakes, but the danger of water induction would probably be pretty high. I know I always worried about the low mounting point used by Vortech for the air cleaner on my 97 Cobra. Vortech will tell you that they have never heard of an instance of water induction causing problems with their setup, but I still worried enough to make the car a fair weather machine.

------------------
Mark Swaim
1999 Lightning (sold)
1997 Cobra (deceased)
1993 Cadillac Allante

Old 02-20-2000 | 07:42 PM
Cool

I understand the hot pavement point and the hydrolock possibilities. Just brainstormin'
about what if... I carried it a bit further
thinking maybe forming a pipe\hose of sorts that could be used at specific times for a pressurized intake. A hose\fitting arrangement could be quick changed. Maybe a
T prior to the filter, cool air box\cylinder with a flapper type valve that could be closed in inclimate weather....I know Sal loooked at underhood temps and said that at speed there was insignificant variation. Yes I know the Eaton presssurizes the intake but cooler air must help.Realizing that cold weather application might be the make or break condition. If the ram air hoods produce horsepower why would this theory be fallible for a "CHEAP" ram air..I know Cervanni and others make the hooods for normal aspirated engines..But that they are about to market the ram air for the Supercharged Lightnin'. Just some thoughts....
Thanks for any and all commments.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Twisted99 (edited 02-20-2000).]

Old 11-13-2001 | 10:24 PM
Talking Next Good Idea, I run with...

Just dredged up an old post and was thinkin` how my thoughts aren't always mine....a collective does seem to sort things out. Next idea, I market....I need a hobby.

Old 11-14-2001 | 12:26 AM
KGM
Thumbs up

Good post Twisted99 funny how things change.

Old 11-14-2001 | 10:35 AM
I just did the fog light upgrade last weekend. If you would like to see how it was done, E-MAIL me at lightningfastsvt@cs.com

Quick Reply: Cheap Ram Air