Lightning

Lightning vs SRT10 on On Demand

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005 | 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Sarge97
Well, being a Ford guy I am rather biased. All I have to say is that the lightning is running the same size engine that my slow turd 97 F-150 has, albeit a little more modded. The SRT-10 has a Viper engine! Cmon, apples to apples here. The SRT-10 is running 120 more hp than the L!?!?!?! I am DAMN PROUD that Ford is being put up against a high power vehicle like that and coming so close, if not beating it...!!!! All Ford guys should be proud!
I agree. The "L" is right there with the SRT10. The only reason the SRT10 won in the test was because it's more of a "Hot Rod" truck with it manual trans and 500ft-lbs of jumpy torque. The "L" is more civilized and really doesn't just jump out and bite you unless you get on it. They both are awesome vehicles though.
URBAN COWBOY

Old 12-21-2005 | 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
Well, why don't you bless us with some back to back Lightning vs SRT10 open course time comparisons. Since in that segment, all they seemed to say is how the SRT was faster. What was the time differnce?
. . .
I never claimed that I could. [But I do recall a comparison where the lap times (or the difference) was stated.]

That's not the point. If the test said that the SRT was 2 seconds faster, people around here would that the test was cooked. No way some Dodge POS could beat a Lightning. Just like you yourself stated: "I just think watching that segment that it was obviously Dodge bias."

It's okay for another truck to be better/faster/stronger than ours. I love my truck, but if another is faster, that's cool. Especially when that truck is butt ugly.

Old 12-21-2005 | 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by probie
I tried to get Jeff to come to the NE-SVT autocross events with his SRT last year! Jeff, I think you're going to have to bring that beast over to Devins next spring and run with us! We need some comparisons
I may have to now to put you in your place Al.
although by spring time I may have a new C6, that is if I can fit in one.

Old 12-21-2005 | 09:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by jeff2001silver
I may have to now to put you in your place Al.
although by spring time I may have a new C6, that is if I can fit in one.
lol, Jeff I welcome the challenge All kidding aside, I think everyone there would love to see that truck on the road course. Hold off on the C6 until you make it out to at least one on track event

Old 12-21-2005 | 09:58 AM
just wondering

I never claimed that I could. [But I do recall a comparison where the lap times (or the difference) was stated.]
Just figured if you were really into road coarse stuff you may have come across it to put everyones questions in the dumpster

Old 12-21-2005 | 10:19 AM
The SRT-10 IS faster than a stock Lightning, in most cases. Just look at the trap speeds. It is SUPPOSED to be faster with all that HP. So what? It just raised the bar, and Ford did not rise up to the challange, to all our our disappointment. Having said that, I love my truck and would never pay $55K for a truck that is only slightly faster (stock to stock). I am more than happy with my bolt-ons and ported eaton, repeatedly beating the one and only SRT that wanted to race me, as my truck remains bone stock looking. He was surprised.

It's OKAY that there is a faster truck out there. All the more reason to up the ante, if not via Ford, then through the aftermarket. It's all in good fun. Bring on the SRT's.

Old 12-21-2005 | 01:06 PM
SRT-10 VS Lightning

When I bought my L I didn't know what they did the 1/4 mile in. I guess I didn't care. All I knew is that I loved the way it drove. My previous cars were all VAG (VW, Audi) products and the L gave me something they didn't; RWD and *****!!!!

I lusted over the L for a year or two and it appealed to me in ways that no other vehicle did. I saw the SRT-10 and respected it, but it didn't give me wood like the L (in fact, I'd rather have a good car than the viper truck). Dare I say the L has an almost Euro look to it? That to me is good. No, that to me is great.

I recall the first test drive. It was even better than I had imagined. The thrust, the handling, the SOUNDS! I was hooked. The way it drove belied it's weight. No, it's not as nimble as a 1700lb MK1 GTI, but the GTI won't throttle oversteer in 2nd gear either. Nor will it move my new furniture.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't care who wins these "tests". The Lightning already won my test.

:o :santa:

Old 12-21-2005 | 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by probie
Anyone with comcast on demand there is a 20 minute lightning vs srt10 shootout done by hotrod mag and car & driver i believe called supertruck shootout. They drive the road course as well as the drag strip. Prepare to be disappointed

Where did you find this, like Gator I searched all over Comcast on demand and couldnt find it?

JimIII

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2005 | 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor
NM found it, man those two tools who tested the trucks out crapped all over the lightning, they should have gotten professional drivers.

JimIII

Old 12-22-2005 | 03:32 AM
I would like to seize this opportunity to say, yesturday I spotted an SRT-10 on the street...hunted this guy down...raced him from a 20mph roll and pulled right passed him in 3rd. I would have liked to talk to him afterwards to let the guy know I was stock but, he for some reason needed to make the next turn.

All that said I still can't really knock the srt-10. Love the interior, trans, motor. But still very over-rated. Over-rated to the point that I am being called a liar for telling people I beat one on the street. What I really think is that there are so many people here upset by the fact that they are so over rated because they are "viper-powered" that they are calling them pieces of sh*t, slow, etc.....but we all know they are not (some of us a little too arrogant to accept it).

Hopefully the rest of america though will relize they arn't the far superior viper truck that can kick the sh*t out of any L in the world and that both Ford AND Dodge are basically acheiving the same thing, showing that trucks really can beat up on a bunch of sports cars and rice rockets.

Old 12-22-2005 | 04:54 AM
to me it makes no difference. I could care less. All I need to know is I have a lot of fun in my L. I bought it slightly used for 12k less than sticker, put at most 3k into it and love it even more. Its far more practical (is it realy practicle though?) than a SRT would ever be, I have toys to haul and crap to move. And since a SRT dont have a load rating and cant pull stuff, well, I got the best of whats out there for ME.

For ME, there is only 1 choice, and its in my driveway, and I even like making the payment on it.

Chris
ps, I still respect the SRT, its just not for me.

Quick Reply: Lightning vs SRT10 on On Demand