Lightning

Lower control arm fix, What is fords answer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2000 | 11:23 AM
|
Thumbs down Lower control arm fix, What is fords answer?

Lower control arm on my lightning is moving in the rear attachment hole. This is causing the popping noise and has to be causing alignment problems. I tightened all the control arm bolts, 2 were loose, but it still moves. Its like the control arm mounting holes are slotted?
Does ford or anyone have the fix?

------------------
99 Red lightning
97 Cobra convert
93 Black lightning
84 Gt-350

Old 02-27-2000 | 01:31 PM
Angry

This has been a frequently reported problem on the 99s, and it is the first thing I will check when I get my 2000. See this thread: https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001202.html
also, https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000827.html
There are lots of other related threads; do a search. In short, Ford cut corners on our $30,000 trucks by leaving off the cam bolt kits. Specialty Products: http://specprod.com/
makes a cam bolt kit for our L's, part number 87385. They don't sell direct; you will need to call their toll-free and locate your local dealer. I think the kit runs about $49. Just do it!

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'92 Civic Si, Centerforce Dualfriction clutch, no front license plate.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Sugino AT crankset, Campy brakes (I think, hard to tell underneath the protective coat of grease and dirt).

'98 Honda "Harmony" 5.0 h.p. mulching mower, stock.

2000 silver SVT Lightning on order (the lawnmower will have to go).

alphadoggy@jetlink.net

Old 02-27-2000 | 02:07 PM
Smile

alphadoggy:
This is about the lower a-arm, not the upper a-arm.
The lower should not be adjustable. The upper a-arm is, and some L's do not have the cam bolt's like they should.
What Cobrarose,and I are saying is the lower a-arm bolt hole is sloted. It should not be this way. I have never seen a lower a-arm be adjustable, this is are question.

------------------
JIGAWATT SVT#2698
N.L.O.C. Member
4:10's
Bassani kit
TransGo shift kit
AIM 2 inch drop shackle

[This message has been edited by JIGAWATT (edited 02-27-2000).]

Old 02-27-2000 | 02:20 PM
Thumbs down

I had my lower control arms replaced friday at Champion Ford.The dealer was very nice they gave me a 99 Mercury Sable for a loaner.But they evidently did not check my truck after installing the control arms because the popping noise is still there.Does anyone have any ideas what else might be causing the noise?

------------------
1999 Black Lightning ArmaCoat Bedliner
CD + Towing Package #2592 Born 6/21/99
Tinted Windows Bruce A.R.E. LSII

Old 02-27-2000 | 02:34 PM
Old 02-27-2000 | 05:54 PM
Unhappy

MRBBQMAN:
Cobrarose and I have tightened the lower control arms,but this does not fix it. After a few miles it start's sliding all over agian. A tight round bolt in a oval hole is not a fix,it's also not a patch fix. I think I remeber someone welding the bolt head to the frame mount? I don't like that farm fix either

Old 02-27-2000 | 06:41 PM
I was trying to get "KY" some other ideas on the clunk. i hadn't heard about the round/oval fit-up problem. i only have steering stop clunk. Sal would probably know if there is a reason or maybe a spacer missing that would take up the slop. has he commented on this?

Old 02-27-2000 | 10:34 PM
The Driver Side lower control arm rides in a slot so the factory can set the caster difference to prevent pulling. They needed this because they decided to fix mount the upper arms instead of using the cams. It boils down to about $1 in parts and 1/4 the time to align (if you can call it that) the trucks on the assembly line. Check other F-150's, they all have this slot. (I know, I have a '98 F-150.

The easiest fix is to back the bolt and nut out, clean all the coating off the frame, install a star washer then tighten it back up with the biggest wrench you can find. Then go down to your local dealer and insist they install the cam bolts and correctly align your Lightning. I am also going to tack weld the bolt flange to the frame. It's an easy fix and can be broken later, if needed, with an air chisel (sp?)

------------------
Mark Whatman
mwhatman@earthlink.net
  • 99.5 White Lightning (PSP Filter & Chip)
  • 99 Buell S3 Thunderbolt (not stock!)
  • 98 F-150 Lariat (Flowmaster)
  • 96 26' Velocity Offshore Race Boat (far from stock!!!)

Old 02-28-2000 | 08:32 AM
Thumbs up

I put lube on the steering stops and my popping stopped.

Old 02-28-2000 | 08:44 AM
|
Lightbulb

I believe the popping noise is the control arm moving back to its centered position. If you look at the frame by the hole in question you will see marks of this bolt sliding. I bet it happens to lightnings becouse of the tire size and stress put on this slotted"stupid" bolt hole.

------------------
99 Red lightning
97 Cobra convert
93 Black lightning
84 Gt-350

Old 02-28-2000 | 08:50 AM
I took my Lightning in for service for making a popping noise when the steering is returned to center from full lock turns. They showed me the stops and said that the steel stops make the popping noise because of frame twist caused by the posi rear and big tires. They put grease on the stops and it went away. Mine might be different from yours but I would try some lube before I went further. Scott

Old 02-28-2000 | 11:01 AM
Cobrarose, I had both lower control arms replaced by Ford at the instruction of SVT. I had the front end "clunk" noise and sometimes a loud bang noise. This was usually with right hand turns. But, not always.

The part numbers are XL3Z-3078-BA and XL3Z-3079-BA. This is for a 1999 Lightning.
It took three weeks to get the parts.

To confirm the problem, after a test drive over a course I found that consistently produced the noise, the Ford tech used ChassisEars to listen to the noise. These are clamp-on microphones. The fix also required a four wheel alignment. And, the fix seemed to eliminate some of the pulling and the darting sensation from the steering.

During the test drive I took with the Ford tech, we both noticed not only the "clunk" noise, but could feel it in our feet and not the steering wheel. I was like something was shifting in the suspension. Prior to the test drive, both wheel stops where lubricated.

I am assuming that the correct lower control arms where never installed at the factory.

Old 02-28-2000 | 02:11 PM
Here is what I found out with my Expedition. When I first bought it I was hearing this sound all of you are talking about but by the time I was able to check it out I was already taking out the arms for DJM's 4in drop. After installing the arms I still had the same sound, humm. What it actually was is that the lower pin of the brake caliper is hitting and you can see that it screws up the rubber, so what I had to do was build out just a slighty longer stop so that the caliper pin does not hit. This just might be what's happening with the stock ones and the grease that is probably smeared all over there just hides the problem. Just a though for everyone.

------------------
99 Expedition 2wd 5.4L, Silver w/Dark Grey Int, Billet Grill, Door sills, pedals, brake cover, ant, wiper covers, fender badges, rear view mirror. Shaved roof rack & tail gate, fog light bumper color matched. Clear front corners, WMS intake, directional mirrors. Front and Rear Airbag suspension with 4 wheel
independent control, 20in CEC's w 295-40-zr20, Alpine CVA 1005, 12 disc changer, Alpine speakers, subs, amps. Alpine 8081 alarm w/pager and remote start.

Old 02-29-2000 | 08:53 AM
|
Red face

I can see from the marks on the lower mount that the control arm moves. Even if the noise is coming from the stops why does the conyrol arm move? Take a secound and go look at your truck, behind left front tire, the attachment bolt to the lower control arm, is there wear marks on the frame? I bet there is. All the trucks I have seen and the people that know what I am talking about have this problem.

------------------
99 Red lightning
97 Cobra convert
93 Black lightning
84 Gt-350

Old 02-29-2000 | 09:42 AM
Yep, my lightning has 700 miles on it and my lower a arm has marks where it has moved already. I went out the other night and tried tightning the bolt and to my surprise i could'nt budge it.

------------------
99 red lightening,psp filter kit,Superchip, bassani complete system
2-2000 arctic cat zr440 snopro's
built 5-26-99, #1610
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
99 chev c1500 pickup
2000 red Lightning on order 2-14-00

Quick Reply: Lower control arm fix, What is fords answer?