Lightning

Wanted noise-Got Bassani-Got Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000 | 03:44 PM
Cool

Shonut,

NO I didn't x the pipes just replaced with two. It runs well...does the x offer better performance you think ?

------------------
Red 99 Lightning #812 4/30/99 (Totaled)
Black 99 Lightning #1542
5/25/99
White 88 SVO Merkur Xr4ti
Sand Gold 88 Xr4ti
Silver 95 SHO
Red 99 Prelude SH adopted

Old 02-28-2000 | 04:20 PM
Unhappy

i'm having a little trouble getting used to the noise myself. had mine installed 4 days ago. it's most bothersome to me at part throttle at certain rpms and especially at cruising speed, say 60 or 65 mph. at 70 plus it's not too bad. i'm suffering from alittle buyers remorse on the cat-back part which happens to be the most expensive section.i'm not sure i could take a long trip in my L now
can the stock muffler be installed with minimal hassle? if i produce better numbers at the track on saturday i just might be able to live with! can say dynomat?

Old 02-28-2000 | 05:29 PM
|
Really Old "Member"
This is interesting isn't it?
And the reason I posted the words I did.
Here we have this fire breathing blown SOHC omigod looking truck and to a certain degree, it sounds like a *****cat with the stock exhaust. Even some non-performance vehicles have a better exhaust tone than a Lightning.

So, what do we do? We make it louder, of course. Now, it's perhaps too loud for some of us. EGAD, what a dilemma!!!!!!

Seriously, I do think the full enchilada Bassani is really quite loud, even intrusive at some speeds and some rpms. As I want to get the full performance, I am going to try Tampa Bay's sound deadening solution and see if I can tame the in-cab noise.

As to the various leaks, rattles and so on, I learned a long time ago, if you start changing things, figure on changing things more 'cause if it isn't factory, it can lead to niggling fit and finish problems. Live with it until you get it sorted out, which you almost always will.
Bill
PS: Everyone, I mean everyone, who hears my truck take off says "Right on Bill, Awesome".
Nuff said?

Old 02-28-2000 | 07:13 PM
Bill, I must agree that everyone who has heard the truck since the install loves it. I even have some of the Mustang guys at work ordering Bassani stuff for thier cars since hearing. I will admit that I did not like the sound at first. It was not that it was too loud really, it just didn't sound right. This definately doesn't have the exhuast note of a pushrod motor . Since I didn't think it sounded like it should, compared to previous Bassani systems I've had, I had to take another look. Like I mentioned previously, I had many leaks from the pipes not being seated correctly on the X section. I have since "readjusted" the entire system, and now the truck sounds totally different from when it was first installed. It's much quiter, almost stock like at idle with a lower tone. At part throttle and cruise it's much more bareable, no annoying drone like when I had the Flows on the 95. It does have a tinny rattle at a certain rpm, so I will check to see what is rubbing, but that should be easily fixed. Basically what I am saying, is I have had the noise objections that all are complaining about, and through readjustment of the system, I have pretty much eliminated about a good 85% of it. The other 15% sounds good. So if your truck sounds way louder than you think it should, check the 4 pipes going into the X section, I'll bet there will be carbon around the slits in the pipes

------------------
SAL (E-mail- PowerSurgePerf@aol.com)
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 02-28-2000 | 07:59 PM
|
Really Old "Member"
As always, Sal, appreciate your input.

Hopefully, we will eliminate the resonance but not the "SOUND". The Lightnings really need a more aggressive exhaust note in my opinion, not to mention the power increase that we will get from a full header to tip system.

Just for fun, I took a 50 mile in and out round trip today and thoroughly enjoyed the new sound. If you are clever on the throttle, you can modulate the resonance by just backing off about 1/2 inch and just keeping it motoring on.

One other thing I noticed is that it does not downshift from OD to 3d anywhere near as quickly as it did before installing the exhaust. Almost lugs like a diesel, with oodles of torque and power without the downshift. Anyone else notice this?
Bill

Old 02-28-2000 | 08:26 PM
Hey guys, Mike here. Had the Bassani total system about a month. The sound is wonderful.
I have no leaks or any other problems. The system is the best. I love it!

1999 RED, Bassani, Superchip, Downs.
SVT#042

Old 02-29-2000 | 07:16 AM
hey all, i'm finding this topic therapuedic.i don't think i spelled that right! the full throttle sound is awesome! i don't think i have any leaks, will check though. it's just new to me. i agree this truck stock was too quiet. i took it out yesterday and beat the daylights out of my L. feels stronger. no rattles here. i actually think it has a smoother feel especially at full tilt. i'm expecting that once i get sal's filter, it will run even harder because of better breathing. i'd like to see if gas mileage improved, but keeping my foot off the floor for a tank of gas is next to impossible! keep the soothing comments coming, i'm feeling better already.

Old 02-29-2000 | 01:02 PM
Something I noticed last night, I held it in 3rd untill redline and didn't have to shift untill 125 mph. Previously I had to shift at 120. I'm thinking that the straight pipes may have made this possible. Also it seemed to pull harder after it reached redline in OD. Once the speedo was buried the tach appeared to walk up a might faster that before the pipe install. 4200 rpm with the speedo needle buried and 1000 grand left...
Yes it was still pulling.....

Sal,anyone has the bassani been dynoed ? does the truck have better performance across the range or up high ? Maybe down low ? Where does it have more effect ?

Thanks, Jeff

------------------
Red 99 Lightning #812 4/30/99 (Totaled)
Black 99 Lightning #1542
5/25/99
White 88 SVO Merkur Xr4ti
Sand Gold 88 Xr4ti
Silver 95 SHO
Red 99 Prelude SH adopted

Old 03-04-2000 | 06:17 PM
|
Really Old "Member"
Just a quickie:

One of our fellow members dropped by the shop today and we went out to listen to the Bassani setup.
Fired up Moby, let her warm up and then hit the loud pedal three times in neutral, Vroom, Vroom, Vroom.
Dadburned thing set off the car alarm in the car next to Moby!!
Mind you, I have heard of that happening, but I never had a vehicle before that would do that.
Kind of fun.
Bill

Quick Reply: Wanted noise-Got Bassani-Got Noise