Lightning

Wanted noise-Got Bassani-Got Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2000, 05:29 PM
Really Old "Member"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wanted noise-Got Bassani-Got Noise

Wow!
Got my full Bassani set up installed yesterday, thanks to the efforts of William Mallo(one) a fellow Lightning owner from Austell GA.

First comment is that I think you others reporting on the sound/sound level are awfully conservative. Compared to stock, this sumbitch is LOUD, period end of story.
Idle is much better, normal acceleration is pretty darn loud and full chat is awesome, but again, LOUD. Forget the stereo, it almost overpowers the blower and intake noise and I sure don't hear any pre-ignition anymore.
For 100 miles or so, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, in part because I could not place/identify the sound. I have never had a vehicle before where the exhaust exited where the Lightning's does, and it it is drastically different than a loud exhaust that exits at the rear.
Finally on the way home tonight, I got it.
I sounds exactly like a a boat owned by a friend a couple of years ago. It was a runabout powered by a 454 Chev inboard with water cooled exhaust that exited low in the rear of the boat.
Now I am happy. Moby looks like a whale and sounds like a big block racing boat.

PS: some of you may remember my many posts about a leaky exhaust on the original system
My intrepid Ford dealer never could hear/find it. Since I bought the Bassani months ago, I just lived with it. William and I found a huge leak in the outer weld at the exit end of the muffler. Loads of black exhaust soot all over the end of the muffler. Also small leaks at the connectors to the exhaust manifolds.

Bill And I'll change the sig later.

------------------
Bill Murray
99 Lightning #247
PSP Chip & Filter
Spare Superchip
Bassani full system TBI
Oxford White w/normal options.
98 Lincoln Continental Stock
56 F100 Big Window 272 w/TBird intake headers Fordomatic
56 F100 small window w/built 300" I6
69 Belair 390/427/400 Built
69 C10 Panel Stock
Soon: 92 Town Car
Tamiya 1/10 Lightning
Lightning & Thunder Rag Doll Cats.
E-mail MOSTOYSINC@AOL.com
htuken@BellSouth.net
HobbyTown1@WebTV.net
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 02-26-2000, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Bill, Sal here. Kinda funny, your description matches my feelings on the sound perfectly. Only problem with mine was that I didn't have two of the pipes sliped on the X member all the way, and since that "adjustment" it is quite a bit quieter. And I had the same exact exhaust leak, in the same spot. Some others have as well, looks like another common problem to keep an eye out for.

------------------
SAL (E-mail- PowerSurgePerf@aol.com)
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 02-26-2000, 07:25 PM
Really Old "Member"

Sal:

Assume the X member comment has to do with the Bassani system.

Assume the "leak" had to do with the original system.

Is this correct, as William Mallo and and I are working on the connections on the Bassani system also as regards some possible noise reduction due to some changes in the installation instructions. You said "X member, did you mean "x pipe"? I know there are some tolerance problems involved there and we did not want to overtorque the bolts.

Just asking.

Bill

------------------
Bill Murray
99 Lightning #247
PSP Chip & Filter
Spare Superchip
Bassani full system
Oxford White w/normal options.
98 Lincoln Continental Stock
56 F100 Big Window 272 w/TBird intake headers Fordomatic
56 F100 small window w/built 300" I6
69 Belair 390/427/400 Built
69 C10 Panel Stock
Soon: 92 Town Car
Tamiya 1/10 Lightning
Lightning & Thunder Rag Doll Cats.
E-mail MOSTOYSINC@AOL.com

Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 02-26-2000, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes Bill, the "leak" was the same thing you had, on the stock muffler. And the X was in referance to the Bassani X section of the cat pipe. I couldn't get the mufflers on far enough to cover up the slits in the pipes that aid installation without the tips being way off on the truck. I spoke with Todd at Bassani about it, and he told me some pointer on how to get eveything lined up correctly with no leaks. If anyone has the same situation, I suggest calling Todd at Bassani, as he was very helpfull.

------------------
SAL (E-mail- PowerSurgePerf@aol.com)
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 02-26-2000, 10:34 PM
Bill:

You might want to think about soundproofing the cab. Wasn't too hard to do. Made a big difference.

Just a thought.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001604.html

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, clear corners, tow package, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost gauge, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w subs. 5-channel 300w Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w DX 7's, Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/images/Light21.jpg
1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 02-26-2000, 10:45 PM
Cool

Hey Bill,
Enjoyed reading your description of the sound. On my signature, you will see our 1974 Century Ski Fury. (restored) It's an old inboard, 454 with the exhaust exiting low in the rear with the coolant water. If it sounds that good...WOW!!!

My flowmasters muffled the blower sound on my L. Fortunately I now have Sal's intake and the blower sound is back...and how!!
Have a great day.

------------------
1999 Red Lightning,
Bed Rug, Soft Cover, Towing package, Super Chip, 50 Series Flowmasters, K&N filter.

1996 Kawasaki ZX-11-Candy Red
1996 Honda Goldwing Aspencade. Candy Red
1974 Century Ski-Fury, (454 Mercruiser inboard)

Jsnyder414@aol.com

Old 02-26-2000, 10:58 PM
TB LIghtning, got the bassani myself-- think
the sound proofing is next on my list.did you cover the air extractors(i think thats what they're are called)? i remember reading the all the the pros and cons of doing it i believe on your post. your pictures scared me to death. not sure i have stomach to do it myself. any words of encouragement?

thanks, john

Old 02-27-2000, 01:09 AM
Posted earlier..Cut the muffler off with a saws all today and installed pipes in it's place . It is louder. Nice tone ,deeper at idle. Louder and meaner sounding. I like it. It may have lost a incremental amount of torque down low but feels like it pulls stronger in the mid range...haven`t had a chance to make a wide open run..just up to 130 and let me tell you I passed a chevy truck,the driver had the window down just as I shifted into 3rd. I could hear the sound resonating off his side...I bet he just jumped.....Anyone cut out the muffler an run it on a dyno yet? I did get the slash cuts to hang more in line with the opening in the lowers..always seemed to hang a bit low.
By the way the stock muffler has a small leak in it in the back where the end was crimped and the bead rolled. I could hear it ...a small black spot about 1" in diameter was visible...My dealer said I could get a new one if I really wanted.

Someone mention a small diameter drain hole was standard on most if not all mufflers.
I could hear it and it was enough to irritate me.

Now that I have had this a day or so...I like it even more...at first I justified any conception of low end torque loss with the fact it felt stronger in the mid range...Now after roasting the tires from the git go...I'm not so sure it lost any torque...and my new rear tires probably would agree.Plus an added aside is my wife really doesn't like it....laugh..don't think she'll be askin' to borrow it again...I could be wrong..Ya'll know how addictive these things are.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by Twisted99 (edited 02-27-2000).]

Old 02-27-2000, 08:19 AM
Really Old "Member"
Sal, TB and others:

Thanks for the input. I'll hook up with William next week after talking to Bassani and see if we can adjust a bit more.
I am going to try some if not all of TB's ideas, especially the flow through thingies behind the seat. I always crack the window anyway so should not have to slam the doors.
As to the leak on the stock mufflers, seems we have finally come to a conclusion. I remember posts about loose manifolds, faulty cats and a couple of other things and it seems to be merely a faulty crimp/weld job on the muffler.
Twisted: Do I understand you just run the cats now and no mufflers? That must sound really awesome!!!

Bill

Old 02-27-2000, 10:04 AM
Freak & Bill:

The air extractors are covered with two(2)layers of Dynamat from the inside and a 3M decal from the outside. If you look down between the bed and cab, you won't even notice where the holes were. Takes a really small hand to get in there and clean before applying, though.
Cab is so air/sound tight that you feel it in your ears when you turn the air on or close the doors. On the highway, you can't even hear the engine or road noise(kinda Lexus-esque).
Everything still works perfectly (AC,door closing, etc.).
VERY happy with the end results! Well worth the time and energy. Didn't cost a bundle either. BTW, be sure to use the Dynamat Premium (black with gold lettering). It strethes and molds much better than the other grades.
Good luck!

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, clear corners, tow package, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost gauge, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w subs. 5-channel 300w Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w DX 7's, Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/images/Light21.jpg
1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 02-27-2000, 11:23 AM
Thumbs down

I got a Bassani cat back exhaust on a 99 F150, not a lightning. I had to weld the front pipe to the muffler to seal a leak I had.My system resonates throug the cab on highway speeds, but I can barely hear it around town.
I had a Bassani system on my 93 lightning, It was awsome, it seems there quality has suffered as of late, also my stainless steel tip is rusting, only 4 months old.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bassani Cat Back, Superchip,Modified intake with modified K&N filter.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.

Old 02-27-2000, 08:11 PM
The problem that Sal is talking about, I belive is connections of Xpipe to cats,and mufflers to Xpipe. Bills had same problem did not slip all the way on. I took back off and use a pipe exspander to open ends up and then they poped right on. I thought posibly X part might have been droped, one side would slip on easy, other would not. But exspander solved. Wish I could have realy heard Bills truck opened up, but not my place to get on his truck.So I will wait for a ride.

PS the headers are a pain in the a--. Had OE parts off in 45min. Took 21/2-3hr to put headers on. Then 1hr for rest.

------------------
99.5 Black Lighting , #1277 5/14/99
cd,tow pack,ford bed liner
2000 Mustang GT Convertible performance red , black top.
with cobra R wheels,BFG tires, bassani X pipe, Flowmaster mufflers / stock tips

[This message has been edited by William Mallo (edited 02-27-2000).]

Old 02-27-2000, 11:02 PM
Yep Bill just the cats routed out the factory tips..I love it.

Old 02-28-2000, 12:08 AM
That is what I am running also. Just the cats. I posted my setup in the x pipe thread. Twisted, you just put 2 pipes in place of muffler, or did you do as I and x them to allow for balancing as an H pipe does? I agree, the sound is awesome but the cab could use some sound deadening. I am curious how this system ($75.00) compares to the spendy name brand systems in relations to sound and added performance.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
Built July 26, 1999
Build # 2883 of 4000

Old 02-28-2000, 11:02 AM
i got my full system on bout 2 weeks ago but unfortunately i have been running on 7 cylinders every since. its going in the shop tomorrow. it sounds like i have some kind of exhaust leak on the drivers side headers. has any of you heard anything like that. power brake the truck to bout 1300 rpms and see if you hear an exhaust leak or feel a vibration (from the exhaust). it is coming from the drivers side and it is for sure in the headers. im not sure if i like the exhaust or not b/c it is much louder than expected normal driving is the part i dont like. at full throttle it sounds awesome with the exception of the leak. after i get it back on all 8 i have to find the exhaust leak or vibration. there is also a rattle at about 1800 rpms in normal driving.if i can get all that out then i am gonna change the bassani muffler back for the stock one maybe that will quieten it down enough. any thoughts on the vibrations or the drivers side headers. thanks

------------------
Rusty McLain 99 Red Lightning w/ cd changer and towing package,superchip,PSP Filter,and full bassani exhaust on order. and a red 94' lightning.
99' 1/8 mile 8.76 @ 81.6mph
94' 1/8 9.69@72.9mph
1/4 15.101 @ 89.9mph

Quick Reply: Wanted noise-Got Bassani-Got Noise