Lightning

11:00 PM done with the first ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2000 | 01:12 AM
|
Thumbs up 11:00 PM done with the first ride

Well I arrived at my dealer at about 4:30, was done by about 7:30. It was a very pleasurable experience.

Just been out cruising around. Have never even driven a Ford prior to this evening. When I told the sales manager that, he said what a heck a benchmark that you will be judging any other Fords. This vehicle is truly amazing. It is much different than I expected. The motor seems really tight and doesn't seem to have as much power as I expected, but on the other hand, the power delivery is so smooth it is very deceiving as to how quick it is accelerating. I love the torque, the suspension and the tight turning radius. The blower makes a lot of noise when I get on it a bit. My description of this truck after the first night of driving it, is it feels like a very smooth refined sports car with tons of torque and a pickup bed in the rear. I think I'm already in love. Sorry for the long post but I just had to share in my excitement. Can't wait for the drive to work tomorrow.

------------------
00 Red L DOB 2/8/00, #1062 adopted 2/29/00.
98 Red Dodge V10 4X4 quad cab.
96 Yellow Corvette LT1.
99 Arctic Cat ZR440 sno pro.
98 Polaris Super Sport 488.
97 Seadoo HX.
96 Polaris SLX w/PSI triple pipes.
97 Banshee completely tricked.
96 Polaris Scrambler.
87 Polaris Indy 600 SKS w/SLP 707 full mod.
RC CARS: Associated; RC10B3's, RC10T3, TC3. Lossi; XXCR Kinwald, XX4. Yokomo; MR4TC

peteb3@home.com

Old 03-01-2000 | 02:28 AM
Peter B,

Reminds me of the first time I took the L out! Enjoy your refined sports car with a pickup bed in the rear!

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler
So-Cal Lowering Kit; Cal-Tracs traction bars
Watter Wetter
Lo-Jack

Old 03-01-2000 | 02:37 AM
Welcome..Im still kind of new here myself but good to see the herd is growing. It sure is nice to be able to haul your toys and still kick butt.

------------------
Chris Hitchcok
99 Black Lightning
#2296 of 4000
Born 6/11/99
Adopted 8/25/99
2 Flowmasters
K & N,AlpineCD/Rockfrd
Tow Package
Valentine 1
Best pass 13.69@99.9
92 Mustang GT/Cobra clone
Vortech Y-trim
20 psi@7500
best pass 10.2@136.37
Sarasota Florida
Cobra331A4@aol.com

Old 03-01-2000 | 06:21 AM
My favorite part is rolling at about 10 mph and slaming the peddle down and hold on...
Blower Whine is cool, too.

Last edited by 2000Silverbulletonorder; 06-21-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2000 | 07:42 AM
peter b, i have a 99 L. it get faster with break in. i also believe our L's are deceivingly quick. your not low to the ground like being in a mustang or a vette. in fact a friend has a vette, it feels quicker, but i take him in the 1/4 every time. of course i have a chip, but still give it 4000 miles and see what happens! the same thing with handling. your perception of speed is distorted by being so high off the ground. motor trend recorded higher lateral accel numbers than an ss z28! enjoy all.

Old 03-01-2000 | 07:55 AM
Hey Peter congrats!!!!! Welcome to the 'family', tell me whne you wanna take her to the track, its about time I hit it again.

------------------
99' SVT Black Bolt NLOC #392
Clear Corner Lenses
Autometer Boost & Air/Fuel ratio Guages
best run 13.54 @ 101.35

**Unlike Lightning I will strike you twice**

Old 03-01-2000 | 08:42 AM
Thumbs up

Peter, I can't express enough how happy I am for you! I had now idea that you were this close to getting yours. Just last night I was again thinking about your previous post describing the Arizona tour day plan and hoping you would get your L before it got too warm. If you’re still game, why don’t we start planning? I’m thinking the last weekend of March or the first weekend of April would be perfect.

I agree about your first reactions of the L. It’s a lot of mass to accelerate, but it does move. A few green light blasts to 45mph comparing yourself to traffic always helps put it into perspective. I also was very disappointed about its performance as I was expecting violence, but now I know better and am always smiling.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning,
SVT # 0056

Old 03-01-2000 | 10:27 AM
|
Smile

Thanks all for the well wishes. This truck is so very cool. I cannot beleve how smooth the whole thing is (powerband, suspension, doors closing). It is truly misleading in how it runs. Joel, you're absolutely right judging the vehicles as I fly past them, I then realize just how quick it is.

Don & Joel, I did not expect it to arrive so soon either. ABSOLUTELY, road trip is in quick order. Lets start organizing it! I think the northern Arizona tour like I talked in and earlier post would be awesome. The only conflict I may have with the last weekend in March is I might head up another sledding trip up to Utah either the last or second to the last week in March. I will know in one week. Don, I'm thinking when would be a better time than this Friday to go to the track? Let me know, maybe this Friday or next Friday.

Old 03-01-2000 | 02:23 PM
I am just continually amazed at the utility of the vehicle itself. The description of a sports-car with a bed in back is an accurate one.

To be able to tow my '90 LX 2.5 hrs to a race, unload the car, unhitch the trailer and go bust off some 13.2-13.4s (with the truck) was darn cool. I'm still getting e-mail from some Camaro/Firebird/Corvette owners (the race was sponsored by them) about how they couldn't believe the truck is as fast as it is...and that it truly IS a truck with a decent payload and towing rating.

I use my truck to haul stuff around. I'm self-employed and have my own real estate management business. I have to be able to load junk into the bed. I am very careful with it and I have a bedliner, but this truck has such a dual personality its amazing. Which means it was worth every penny I paid for it.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-05-2000 | 01:06 PM
Thumbs up

Peter.. I wasn't overly impressed with my L's power when I first started driving it. Seemed like it should have more power, It'd barely turn the rear wheels over at full power.

Wait till about 5000 miles... mine runs like a scolded dog now. I can hardly keep the rear end planted.

Trust me on this.. break in is needed on these motors...

------------------
* 99.5 Black Lightning (The fastest color I don’t care what Christy Ann Thinks)
* Personal Best ¼ Mile 13.99 @ 97.75 Mph. (Bone stock)
* Ohio Plate SVT2GO
* Waiting on a chip and filter from Sal.. I wanna go faster!
* Factory CD Changer
* Class 3 Towing Hitch
* Factory Tonneau Cover
* 8" Bazooka Tubs
* Kenwood 80 watt *2 amp
* Viper 550 Alarm w/ remort start
* Often found in the bed: 98 Yamaha Banshee/Pro Design Cool head/ Toomey T-5 Chrome Racing Pipes/ Wiseco Power Pistons / Boyesen rad valves

Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown. 99 Lightning, the best of both worlds!

Old 03-06-2000 | 12:51 AM
Thumbs up

Peter and Wes, I have only had my L. two days, but my reaction matches yours to a t. I am astonished that a vehicle this big can ride and handle so nimbly, as well as accelerate so strongly. The power just comes on so seamlessly that you don't realize how fast you are going. The first time I passed somebody I thought I had kicked it up to about 85, and then I looked at the speedo and I was doing 100. I was driving home from Casitas with my wife in the truck yesterday, and some guy in a GM truck started tailgating me. When we hit the freeway I punched it, and it was bye bye Chevy. My wife gets nervous when I drive fast, but I don't think she even realized we were doing 100, in a heartbeat. She said the truck was so comfortable that she wouldn't mind going on a trip in it. This is high praise from her. Not bad for a vehicle I bought primarily to tow my boat. But how do I wipe the grin off my face?
Oh, and Steven, you've got to change your signature.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'92 Civic Si, Centerforce Dualfriction clutch, no front license plate.
"00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, no mods yet (JBA headers and Sal's filter kit on order)

alphadoggy@jetlink.net

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 03-05-2000).]

Quick Reply: 11:00 PM done with the first ride