Lightning

Twincharging (S/C and Turbo Combo)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't the bypass valve open under boost from the turbo and let it flow more air. It may not work with the Eaton SC, but would it work on one with a bigger bypass? Or build a spacer that will lift the SC up a few inches and build a bypass into the spacer so the turbo would feed into the SC and the spacer. Have the spacer valve open at a set boost.

I like the Saturn video, it looks like its blowing the tires off on the shifts.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by PoorSvtMan
feeding a turbo into a supercharger is going to gain nothing.. a turbo will move more air than a supercharger ever will. Feeding a turbo into the supercharger will only let less air in.

It depends on your intent and design! It has worked for quite some years.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I guess my mind is way off from the norm but I don't see the roots as putting a limit on air flow at all. To me it's just like any thing you wish to blow air through... like an intake runner. An intake runner has a max flow with only atmospheric pressure on it. If you want more flow you just raise the boost pressure on the inlet and whohlah, more flow. Same with the roots, increase the pressure on the inlet and more air is going through it. Or so my theory goes .

Possibily another way to look at compound boost is to think about what the turbo sees. All the turbo knows is that it is has to force air through a pipe. The turbo doesn't care what's at the other end of the pipe... if it hits a rotor, intercooler, or a piston first. It just cares about how much air it can push and how hard it is to push it. A blown 5.4 is going to take a lot more air a lot more easily than a naturally aspirated 5.4. Which is goooood. Again, so my theory goes...

Old 01-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by 69Roadster
I guess my mind is way off from the norm but I don't see the roots as putting a limit on air flow at all. To me it's just like any thing you wish to blow air through... like an intake runner. An intake runner has a max flow with only atmospheric pressure on it. If you want more flow you just raise the boost pressure on the inlet and whohlah, more flow. Same with the roots, increase the pressure on the inlet and more air is going through it. Or so my theory goes .
Good theory because it's true!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_02Lightning
Yep it was VW I thought so, they did it so they could make the displacement smaller (hence better gas mpg).

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005..._vws_new_.html

Some of the highlights

One of these VW motors is 1.4 liters and tuned to 168 hp and at least 177 ft-lb between 1750 and 4500 rpm. That's a very nice specific output for a mass production motor.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Just got my latest issue of MM&FF. Good article about turbos feeding an Eaton on a stock Cobra... made me think about this old post. 1000+ hp... not too shabby .

Would love to see the results on an L . Maybe Hellion will make a system for trucks too.

Last edited by 69Roadster; 11-25-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
january 08 issue of muscle mustangs magazine has a cobra with this already done. About 1200 horse. Article is called the manhattan project. i cant find it online anywhere. Seems like it works well!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Just got my latest issue of MM&FF. Good article about turbos feeding an Eaton on a stock Cobra... made me think about this old post. 1000+ hp... not too shabby .

Would love to see the results on an L . Maybe Hellion will make a system for trucks too.

I saw that, too. Stock block Terminator with fuel upgrades.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Ditto, The new MM & FF has the combo, I be real happy with 700 solid dependable HP which is very doable with one or the other, IMO two constant duty power adders would be tuff to service and with the new Whipple available and not really pushed yet and the availability of turbo components and info out there on how to get them to fly, my question would be why? cool yes, possible nightmare, oh yea.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Found the link..

Originally Posted by bnehila
january 08 issue of muscle mustangs magazine has a cobra with this already done. About 1200 horse. Article is called the manhattan project. i cant find it online anywhere. Seems like it works well!
Here's the link to that Cobra. I to have been thinking about putting a turbo on my Harley F150. This looks promising.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html

Harley Rebel

Old 12-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Talking

If the blower takes in a certain amount of air per rotation, would it make any difference if it was 10 psi or 20 psi? it seems like its going to move it regardless. If the blower is able to compress that air seems like it would be up to spinning the blower faster. A turbo is already the most efficient power adder as it is. Throwing a supecharger into the mix is just going to heat up the air more than I would think is necessary. Not to mention driving the belt. Just get a Bigger turbo FTW. ANYWAYS, SOME OF U GUYS ARE RUNNIN 600 TO 700 HP ON THE STREET. DO U REALLY NEED ANYMORE? TOO MUCH POWER! Hopefully Ill be there one of these days. ;-)

Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by sb306
If the blower takes in a certain amount of air per rotation, would it make any difference if it was 10 psi or 20 psi?
The blower takes in a certain amount of air per rotation based on the pressure feeding it. A higher pressure at the inlet means it's going to move a higher amount of air.

As far as using just a bigger turbo for the same peak power... sure you could . But, the lag that gaint turbo has would make the lower rpm pretty boring .

You should check out that article. The twin system made more peak power (a lot more) than their normal turbo kit and was still better down low. Pretty interesting. Think they also show temperatures too FWIW, didn't heat up as one would expect.

Last edited by 69Roadster; 12-03-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
The blower takes in a certain amount of air per rotation based on the pressure feeding it. A higher pressure at the inlet means it's going to move a higher amount of air.

As far as using just a bigger turbo for the same peak power... sure you could . But, the lag that gaint turbo has would make the lower rpm pretty boring .
yea. I guess I didn't explain that well enough. I was agreeing on the volume of air part. regardless of what pressure the incoming air is the supercharger will move that volume of air. regardless if its at 10 psi or 20 psi. what about a dual stage turbo like the aftermarket diesel turbos, like the one they use on the new fords diesels?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 PM
This was hard to keep quiet but here ya go

http://nationalhorsepower.com/forum/...topic=2311&hl=

Ford GT TT adds a SC to the equation

Quick Reply: Twincharging (S/C and Turbo Combo)?