Lightning

Stearing wheel lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000 | 02:20 AM
|
Smile Stearing wheel lock

Hearing you guys is goona make me poor, all this talk of this wonderful truck. Anyway this is abit off topic but ive found this foum is the one where people always get a responce and contains many knowedgable readers. What happens when your tires are in a full turn and you shut down your truck. Know how the stearing wheels locks and you cant turn the ignition key? What causes this, I had it happen tonight and i had to have a friend standing on the ground pull on the wheel and lean the other way while i turned the key to 'break' it. Ive noticed it on all fords, infact all cars for that amtter, any feedback?

Old 03-08-2000 | 07:00 AM
Exclamation

It's just the tension on the steering wheel from the wheels trying to straighten. If you notice once you get it free the wheel will turn by itself a 1/4 or 1/2 turn back towards center. Because the engine isn't running the wheels aren't following the steering commands via the power steering assistance, instead the demand to straighten is commanding the steering wheel causing it to put tension on the locking pin.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,
#0975,
Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99
SuperChip,
PSP Filter,
Water Wetter,
13.498@102.69

Quick Reply: Stearing wheel lock